Misc Thread VI: Return of the Threadi

Off-topic posts, quotes of the day and anything else you just would like to vent to the world. PG-13 or below PLEASE!
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Re: Misc Thread VI: Return of the Threadi

Post by Rope-Pusher »

They ford up to 20" of water
Up to 8.7" of ground clearance
A 20:1 crawl ratio
A 17.7' turning circle
And they can go up and down steep grades with their short over-hangs.
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Post by tankinbeans »

Focus ST has my vote because obviously....

Plenty of grunt, always at peak torque at freeway speeds. My only gripe is that people always want to fluff with you on the motorway.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
IMBoring25

Post by IMBoring25 »

Does HR approve this message? :D
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter

Post by tankinbeans »

IMBoring25 wrote:Does HR approve this message? :D
Eh, they canceled my contract so they can eat me.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
IMBoring25

Post by IMBoring25 »

Sorry to peel the scab off. I was just amused by the reflection in the window. Couldn't read all of it.
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

AHTOXA wrote:I have a really nice deal lined up on a '15 Forester manual.
NICE!! :D :mrgreen: :twisted:
BUT, and this is a huge one.

Started researching the oil consumption issues.
- forums seem to think that manual trans Foresters (and Crosstreks) are more likely to have the issue
- issue does not seem to be affecting all, but still rather wide-spread
- there are two lawsuits Subaru is facing in regards to the oil consumption issues.
how did i know this would happen :?: :? :cry: :oops:
I'm almost tempted to go and look at a vehicle that I've been eyeing a long time - the Focus ST - and see if that's something that I like, while giving me more room and getting me out of this pile of crap car.
EPIC WINNING!!!! :!: :D :twisted: :P
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter

Post by tankinbeans »

IMBoring25 wrote:Sorry to peel the scab off. I was just amused by the reflection in the window. Couldn't read all of it.
No peeling, not even mad about it. The place was a joke.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Post by AHTOXA »

I'm going to be looking at a white ST today in Ft. Worth. ST2 with the Recaros.

I don't know. Right now I'm kind of overwhelmed with all the hours of research I've done over the last week, the insurance quotes, etc. Initially, the ST insurance quote that I got this morning from my current insurance company (Safeco) was exceptionally high - an annual increase of $600. That won't fly. However, this has happened before with Safeco when I quoted the Forester with them last week, and when my agent checked Progressive, the rate stayed the same as my current.

Anyway, I honestly think that insruance jump on the ST would be a deal-breaker,but I'll find out here in a couple hours.

I'm still deliberating whether I want to take a chance on the Forester:

- On one hand, it's a car that would REALLY fit my needs well and it just fits from every angle.
- On the other hand, I know that I'm going to OCD myself crazy with the oil consumption issue. I went through that when my bike was eating oil and I'm not looking forward to repeat the anxiety and disappointment if it does have the issue. But, as we all know, internet generally makes the issues seem much larger than they are, as the minority that has the issues are the most vocal. But of course there are the two lawsuits that Suabru is now facing for the oil consumption, so there's some substance there.

I have to drive and see the ST in person. While I've always liked the car - probably since I saw my first one in person at a garage at work - I feel like I might be compromising something. Maybe I'm just getting cold feet about this whole thing; this process is exhausting.

Maybe I should just say F-it, drop $700 or so and fix my current car and hope that nothing major goes in the next 6-8 month. Although statistically, the chances of this car suddenly turning reliable are small.Financially, this makes far more sense than trading, I get that. But sometimes personal happiness trumps financial reasons (within limits, of course), and I'm sick and tired of this car breaking stuff that it should not be breaking at 50k miles (and much less for earlier issues).
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
Squint
Master Standardshifter

Post by Squint »

My only reluctance about Subaru is the oil consumption issue that you have mentioned. Have you checked on places like Edmunds forums and whatnot to see if people are discussing it there as well as more Subaru-centric places?

Something to note about the Focus - it has a tiny backseat. That was the reason we didn't consider it at all when we were looking at vehicles against the Mazda 3 that we ended up getting. I'm going from memory, but the back seat has maybe an inch or so more leg room than my Fiesta...
'15 Mazda 3 iSport Hatch 6MT
'11 Ford Fiesta Hatchback SE 5MT
'14 Giant Escape City 24MT
'97 Honda Civic EX 4AT - Retired @ 184,001 mi

For Pony!
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

Nice thing #261 about driving a 35 year old car: I never have to feel bad or worry myself sick about stuff like oil consumption, just put in some oil occasionally and say "it's old".
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter

Post by tankinbeans »

Squint wrote:My only reluctance about Subaru is the oil consumption issue that you have mentioned. Have you checked on places like Edmunds forums and whatnot to see if people are discussing it there as well as more Subaru-centric places?

Something to note about the Focus - it has a tiny backseat. That was the reason we didn't consider it at all when we were looking at vehicles against the Mazda 3 that we ended up getting. I'm going from memory, but the back seat has maybe an inch or so more leg room than my Fiesta...
I've put my brother, 6'2", in the back seat as well as my stockier friend, 6'3"ish 250 pounds, and they've had no trouble. I think the overall legroom is pretty good and side to side isn't bad. Realistically most people don't have 3 passengers in the back seat unless it's for brief periods.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Post by AHTOXA »

Squint wrote:My only reluctance about Subaru is the oil consumption issue that you have mentioned. Have you checked on places like Edmunds forums and whatnot to see if people are discussing it there as well as more Subaru-centric places?
Consumer Reports indicates that the problem rate is 4-5% for the Forester. Forums make it seem like it's much higher than that, but I don't necessarily buy into that. I know that forums tend to make the issues seem far more widespread than they are.

Once again, the only reason I hesitate with the Scooby is the [low] chance of having an issue. Because if I do have an issue, it's going to bug me to no end, just like it did with my motorcycle when it burned oil prior to being fixed.

I guess I either get over the OCD and anxiety about it or just don't buy. That's a tough one. I asked folks on another forum, and a guy had a WRX that consumed 1-1.5 quarts of oil every 3-4k miles since new, and he ran it like that for over 200k miles. Anecdotal evidence, but who knows. It might run just fine.
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

AHTOXA wrote:Consumer Reports indicates that the problem rate is 4-5% for the Forester. Forums make it seem like it's much higher than that, but I don't necessarily buy into that. I know that forums tend to make the issues seem far more widespread than they are.
I don't know if they try as such, but realistically, threads about the problem are going to be mostly full of people with the problem, and forums are going to attract people with the problem so they'll be represented more heavily than the general population too.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
ColJessip
Master Standardshifter

Post by ColJessip »

Anyone here have experience with buying very high mileage cars? A good friend is hard on cash and is car got stolen. Are LS400 good buys for less than $3000 with more than 200k miles?
IMBoring25

Post by IMBoring25 »

I would have a hard time going with anything with a luxury nameplate on it if the primary consideration is "hard on cash." They'll generally have more expensive parts, more expensive labor for anything you don't do yourself, and more of the wrong kind of attention if you're living or working in an area where you've already had a car stolen.