Misc Thread VI: Return of the Threadi

Off-topic posts, quotes of the day and anything else you just would like to vent to the world. PG-13 or below PLEASE!
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Re: Misc Thread VI: Return of the Threadi

Post by AHTOXA »

Shit, it's 86 here. I was out and about for a few hours today and got a very mild sunburn. I don't have a good base layer of tan yet, so I burn slightly during the first few weekends.
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Post by watkins »

Officially registered for Saabs at Carlisle. Woot!

Now Im off to play laser tag overnight like the 13 year old I am.
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter

Post by AHTOXA »

Went to the Dallas Auto Show yesterday, and left underwhelmed.

To be honest, I'm not sure what I was expecting. I guess I wanted to see more cool prototype stuff. Instead, it was just one large dealership mostly showcasing the cars that I see every day.

A few takeaways:

- the Fiesta ST is a car I like very much, but I was extremely disappointed to see that the back seats do not fold flat and there's a large gap between the trunk floor and the back of the rear seats. All this means that having Jack back there is tough. There's not too much room back there. Bummer, I was eyeballing the Fiesta ST as the replacement car in a year or two. The Recaros on it and the focus ST are also amazing! If you're slim (like me), you're going to love the Recaros.

- enter the Fit. Holy, moly! The space utilization in that car is phenomenal! The flat-folding rear seats, the super-low hatch floor that's at the same level with the back seats folder, to upward-folding rear seats to create a well of space! Amazing. I'd really like the performance of the ST combined with utility of the Fit. The Fit was amazing in that respect.

- New VWs are bland and boring. Clutch feet sucked w/o even driving the car (GTI)

- The new Jeep Renegade did not make an impression on me. Sat in the loaded Trailhawk edition, which stickers for 32k. Was underwhelmed.

- Then I sat in a 33k 4Runner TRD PRO and I'd spend that extra grand on a 4Runner against the Renegade ALL day. Granted, they are not direct competitors, but the 4Runner is such a looker inside and out. Plus, it comes with a few offroad goodies. I'd LOVE that truck. It's a very good balance between modest offroad capability and very good street civility. Would buy.

- I never realized how absolutely huge the cabs of Tundra's are. The space in the rear is simply vast. At 6'7" I sat there cross-legged.

- There was a Mustang display - cars from some local Mustang club. There was stock SN95 Bullit Mustang there. Rock chips, scratches, etc. I don't know - Bullits aren't so rare that you got to stick a beat up stock example into the Auto Show.

- Pagani Huayra was astounding. What a looker.

The GF took most all of the pics. Overall I wasn't very impressed with the show. Once again, I really wanted to see more futuristic prototype stuff.
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
Squint
Master Standardshifter

Post by Squint »

AHTOXA wrote:Went to the Dallas Auto Show yesterday, and left underwhelmed.

To be honest, I'm not sure what I was expecting. I guess I wanted to see more cool prototype stuff. Instead, it was just one large dealership mostly showcasing the cars that I see every day.

A few takeaways:

- the Fiesta ST is a car I like very much, but I was extremely disappointed to see that the back seats do not fold flat and there's a large gap between the trunk floor and the back of the rear seats. All this means that having Jack back there is tough. There's not too much room back there. Bummer, I was eyeballing the Fiesta ST as the replacement car in a year or two. The Recaros on it and the focus ST are also amazing! If you're slim (like me), you're going to love the Recaros.

- enter the Fit. Holy, moly! The space utilization in that car is phenomenal! The flat-folding rear seats, the super-low hatch floor that's at the same level with the back seats folder, to upward-folding rear seats to create a well of space! Amazing. I'd really like the performance of the ST combined with utility of the Fit. The Fit was amazing in that respect.

- New VWs are bland and boring. Clutch feet sucked w/o even driving the car (GTI)

- The new Jeep Renegade did not make an impression on me. Sat in the loaded Trailhawk edition, which stickers for 32k. Was underwhelmed.

- Then I sat in a 33k 4Runner TRD PRO and I'd spend that extra grand on a 4Runner against the Renegade ALL day. Granted, they are not direct competitors, but the 4Runner is such a looker inside and out. Plus, it comes with a few offroad goodies. I'd LOVE that truck. It's a very good balance between modest offroad capability and very good street civility. Would buy.

- I never realized how absolutely huge the cabs of Tundra's are. The space in the rear is simply vast. At 6'7" I sat there cross-legged.

- There was a Mustang display - cars from some local Mustang club. There was stock SN95 Bullit Mustang there. Rock chips, scratches, etc. I don't know - Bullits aren't so rare that you got to stick a beat up stock example into the Auto Show.

- Pagani Huayra was astounding. What a looker.

The GF took most all of the pics. Overall I wasn't very impressed with the show. Once again, I really wanted to see more futuristic prototype stuff.
- That seat problem in the Fiesta is one of the complaints that has existed since they brought it back in 2011. I don't know if the Focus' seats fold down flat, but the Fiesta's probably have a 20° angle still with the floor when folded. You can still get a decent amount in there, but it would not be ideal for a dog.

- I've looked inside a couple of Honda Fit's and I, too, am impressed by how they used the space in the back. Complete flat fold down plus the feeling of a giant space in such a tiny car. Unfotunately for what you seem to like, I doubt they are rolling out a Fit Si anytime soon. :lol: :lol:

- I agree with your Jeep/4Runner opinions, if you are spending roughly that amount of money, it's hard to beat the 4Runner for overall driving, extras, and performance.

- I would assume the Tundra in which you sat was a full cab, they have multiple lengths of cabs and you can tell by the rear doors which one it is. The full size cab is ridiculous though. You can seat 5 adults comfortably for extended rides because it's massive. Granted, if you get all the bells and whistles on a Tundra, you can also push the price tag to well over $60k.

We had temperatures this weekend from below freezing to the mid 60s. Kentucky weather is all over the place. It was very nice out yesterday - I played a couple hours of soccer and apparently faced the same direction for too long because I have the vaguest hints of a sunburn... on one side of my face and neck. :lol:
'15 Mazda 3 iSport Hatch 6MT
'11 Ford Fiesta Hatchback SE 5MT
'14 Giant Escape City 24MT
'97 Honda Civic EX 4AT - Retired @ 184,001 mi

For Pony!
watkins
Master Standardshifter

Post by watkins »

Focus seats do in fact fold completely flat.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

^Some auto shows are put on by local dealership networks, others are significantly supported by the OEMs. The latter are where you are more likely to see concept vehicles.

Until dogs start purchasing their own cars, they can stop whining about the accommodations.

There is a lot of value in the lowest-priced version of a vehicle, but not so much when it is optioned-up - it's a profit thang.
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter

Post by AHTOXA »

watkins wrote:Focus seats do in fact fold completely flat.
This would be a huge factor in swaying my opinion from the Fiesta ST to Focus ST.

I wonder if the Fiesta ST is as much more fun to drive than the Focus ST, as journalists seem to portray? Price-wise, they aren't that far off.
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
watkins
Master Standardshifter

Post by watkins »

Ive only driven the FoST a few hundred yards and never driven a FiST. Cant help there.
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter

Post by AHTOXA »

Hey watkins, in your signature image, was that me driving the Saab? I can't remember.
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
watkins
Master Standardshifter

Post by watkins »

Im not sure. I do believe I was in the passenger seat of your VW at the time. Maybe.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

noob5,000,000 wrote:
Squint wrote:
noob5,000,000 wrote:Sort of want NB Mazdaspeed Miata.
You?! Want a Mazda?! :shock: :shock:

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Well, it's a Mazda with pistons so it's kind of unusual. Or not; I did spend a lot of time talking about how much I like Mazda's new lineup, and Mazdaspeed 3s, and Miatas in general. Okay, maybe I like Mazda.
Base 2016 Mazda MX-5 Miata to start at $25,735
That’s a price bump of $1,125 over the outgoing 2014 model. Prices include $820 shipping.

Mazda has completely rebuilt the Miata, shaving more than 150 pounds, and developing an all-new chassis and a lightweight suspension

The fourth-generation MX-5 Miata is scheduled to arrive at dealers this summer.http://www.autonews.com/article/2015033 ... news-daily
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter

Post by AHTOXA »

I sat in one of those at the auto show. Well, attempted to, at least.

Cars I didn't fit into at the show:

- Miata - I could easily see over the top of the windshield.
- Viper - couldn't even get both feet in there. Granted, I'm not sure the seat was all the way back or not. The power was off.
- Corvette - very tight; nead a few mils from the ceiling.
- Silverado with a sunroof. Sunroof takes too much space.
- Scion IQ - not even close and seat doesn't lower.
- Mitsu i-whatever -- the fully electrical one that doesn't sell worth a dang.
- Mini (all of them). Mini has the most awkward door handle, where I have to twist my entire forearm to open it. People with shorter limbs didn't seem to have that issue. Overall, I simply can't see what drives the cost of the Minis. I can't stand the layout and look in the cabin and the materials don't seem to be all that great, considering the price. I've never driven one, however.

Cars I was surprised to fit into quite well:
- FRS/BRZ - this one was nice and snug. I liked the seats and the layout of the cabin. I could see myself driving this car fairly comfortably, even though it would be tough seeing some of the streetlights overhead when stopped at a light. I had that issue in the GTO but got used to it.
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

AHTOXA wrote:Cars I was surprised to fit into quite well:
- FRS/BRZ - this one was nice and snug. I liked the seats and the layout of the cabin. I could see myself driving this car fairly comfortably, even though it would be tough seeing some of the streetlights overhead when stopped at a light. I had that issue in the GTO but got used to it.
Sure, just stop 2 car-lengths before the crosswalk.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Watch out when V-Drive kicks in!

The more I looked at this, the more familiar it seemed to me. Then I remembered - early 1980's, Ford Bronco or something, in the research garage at the Tank Command - they were looking into replacements for the Jeep that would have high ground clearance and lots of wheel travel.
DarkPilot
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2014 Focus ST 6 Spd Manua

Post by DarkPilot »

Looking for FoST vs FiST? Glad I stopped by.

To me, they felt quite similar in normal driving. The FiST was a little more chuckable when I was playing in corners (very go kart like) but overall the FoST felt better in all respects and more stable at speed.

I'd highly recommend trying to find a dealer near you who has one on the lot for a test drive so you don't have to take my word for it. Especially since my last car was a 2.slow Golf.

And yes, the FoST seats do fold completely flat and it comes with a full size spare.
Project Brick Shithouse: Phase I RIP, Scrapped 8/12/09
2003 VW Golf "Unit 2" 2008-2014.