Misc Thread VI: Return of the Threadi

Off-topic posts, quotes of the day and anything else you just would like to vent to the world. PG-13 or below PLEASE!
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Re: Misc Thread VI: Return of the Threadi

Post by theholycow »

tankinbeans wrote:Finally got the Malibu working after 3 days. Who would have thought o-rings could cause so many problems?

Next project is determining why it shifts a bit harshly at times. It rev around 3k and then bang into gear. A few months back it threw a code for a faulty wheel speed sensor, but it's not throwing one now. Color me confused.
You could start at the wheel speed sensors, then. On my 2002 GMC they're very easy to test. Jack vehicle, unplug sensor, probe sensor (using its connector) with a multimeter set on AC millivolts range, spin wheel by hand as fast as you can, look for at least 100mv (preferably over 300mv). If you don't get it, the sensor's definitely bad; if you do get it, the sensor's probably good (factory service manual says it's definitely good but I suspect they can fail and still make 100+mv.).

Check MAF. I hear that shifting problems are often caused by MAF that's dirty, or fouled with K&N oil. IIRC the coolant temp sensor could do it. Throttle position sensor could definitely do it.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
1974Alfa5spd
Master Standardshifter

Post by 1974Alfa5spd »

So two nights ago the 2-3 shift in the Benz became very slippy, and I thought the trans was low on fluid again, I topped it up and yet the revs still do a nice spike during the shift. I'm hoping my mechanic can do something about that short of putting another transmission in it.
I'm pretty close to dropping the whole thing like a hot rock and buying a 60s Beetle, which is probably what I should've done in the first place thinking in retrospect.
theholycow
Master Standardshifter

Post by theholycow »

1974Alfa5spd wrote:So two nights ago the 2-3 shift in the Benz became very slippy, and I thought the trans was low on fluid again, I topped it up and yet the revs still do a nice spike during the shift. I'm hoping my mechanic can do something about that short of putting another transmission in it.
Slushbox is your problem. Replace with manual.
I'm pretty close to dropping the whole thing like a hot rock and buying a 60s Beetle, which is probably what I should've done in the first place thinking in retrospect.

94Corolla5Speed
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 1994 Corolla, 1990 Miata

Post by 94Corolla5Speed »

noob5,000,000 wrote:I suddenly find myself wanting to add a lightweight flywheel to my build. Not a super light aluminum (12lb) one that will destroy street driveability, but something a bit lighter than the factory tank flywheel. My bathroom scale says the factory one weighs ~21lb, but I think it's more than that, perhaps 23-24lb. I saw one on Mazdatrix that weighs around 17lb, that may be a good option.
After driving a friend's Miata with a 9 lb flywheel, believe me, you want the lightest one you can get. The engine revs and drops revs like an F1 car. It is heavenly. Don't bother with the 17 lb. one, you'll barely feel the difference. Get the lightest one you can, you'll thank me.
noob5,000,000
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 1986 Mazda RX-7 x2

Post by noob5,000,000 »

94Corolla5Speed wrote:
noob5,000,000 wrote:I suddenly find myself wanting to add a lightweight flywheel to my build. Not a super light aluminum (12lb) one that will destroy street driveability, but something a bit lighter than the factory tank flywheel. My bathroom scale says the factory one weighs ~21lb, but I think it's more than that, perhaps 23-24lb. I saw one on Mazdatrix that weighs around 17lb, that may be a good option.
After driving a friend's Miata with a 9 lb flywheel, believe me, you want the lightest one you can get. The engine revs and drops revs like an F1 car. It is heavenly. Don't bother with the 17 lb. one, you'll barely feel the difference. Get the lightest one you can, you'll thank me.
Hmmm.... are the rumors of decreased driveability in traffic over-hyped? Admittedly, I haven't done much research yet, but I remember hearing negative reports in the past.
1986 Mazda RX-7 sport - slowly returning to the Earth
1986 Mazda RX-7 base - Project car, ???, In pieces, turbo parts around.
gizmo
Master Standardshifter
Cars: tC

Post by gizmo »

been a while since i last reported here. seems like things have changed from when i used to frequent the joint.

begun my first official full time race season this year. second race rained out. normally i have in car footage, but while my pit crew is exceptional with virtually any mechanical tool, you point to a camera, tell them to push a button until it turns on, and everyone of them fails. everyone! so i lost my first race on video =/ anyways. started last. got bruised up a bit when another driver was unaware i was on his inside, or aware and didn't care, and connected going into T1. Few laps later that driver put another driver in the wall. On the restart got a good jump and passed 2 cars. Never completed the lap before yellow came out. RESET. Big wreck, jumped to 3rd.. Yellow. Reset. then the throw out bearing's o-ring blew out and my race was over. i tried to race without it but the clutch started slipping under high acceleration and i couldn't keep the motor off of redline without falling below minimum speed. bad night to finish 7th when a 3rd would have worked. lost a lot of points that might come to haunt me later on.
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

gizmo wrote:been a while since i last reported here. seems like things have changed from when i used to frequent the joint.

begun my first official full time race season this year. second race rained out. normally i have in car footage, but while my pit crew is exceptional with virtually any mechanical tool, you point to a camera, tell them to push a button until it turns on, and everyone of them fails. everyone! so i lost my first race on video =/ anyways. started last. got bruised up a bit when another driver was unaware i was on his inside, or aware and didn't care, and connected going into T1. Few laps later that driver put another driver in the wall. On the restart got a good jump and passed 2 cars. Never completed the lap before yellow came out. RESET. Big wreck, jumped to 3rd.. Yellow. Reset. then the throw out bearing's o-ring blew out and my race was over. i tried to race without it but the clutch started slipping under high acceleration and i couldn't keep the motor off of redline without falling below minimum speed. bad night to finish 7th when a 3rd would have worked. lost a lot of points that might come to haunt me later on.
sorry to hear this bro; better luck next time 8)
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

1974Alfa5spd wrote: I'm pretty close to dropping the whole thing like a hot rock and buying a 60s Beetle, which is probably what I should've done in the first place thinking in retrospect.
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
theholycow
Master Standardshifter

Post by theholycow »

gizmo wrote:begun my first official full time race season this year. {bunch of stuff}
Oh man, what a bummer of a way to start the season! :( It'll get better because you will make it better. :)

I don't remember now, what kind of racing do you do (what series/organization, what kind of car, etc)?

94Corolla5Speed
Master Standardshifter

noob5,000,000 wrote:
94Corolla5Speed wrote:
Hmmm.... are the rumors of decreased driveability in traffic over-hyped? Admittedly, I haven't done much research yet, but I remember hearing negative reports in the past.
I noticed that it was slightly easier to stall than my car, but he had no complaints at all when I asked him about it. I'm sure you'd get used to it.
noob5,000,000
Master Standardshifter

Post by noob5,000,000 »

94Corolla5Speed wrote: I noticed that it was slightly easier to stall than my car, but he had no complaints at all when I asked him about it. I'm sure you'd get used to it.
Le sigh, I did a bit more reading on rotary-specific applications and many people say there aren't many negatives. I might just have to do it. It'll be another ~$500, though.
94Corolla5Speed
Master Standardshifter

noob5,000,000 wrote:
94Corolla5Speed wrote: I noticed that it was slightly easier to stall than my car, but he had no complaints at all when I asked him about it. I'm sure you'd get used to it.
Le sigh, I did a bit more reading on rotary-specific applications and many people say there aren't many negatives. I might just have to do it. It'll be another ~$500, though.
Ouch, that is pricey. I don't know if I would do it at that price.
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Post by AHTOXA »

94Corolla5Speed wrote: Ouch, that is pricey. I don't know if I would do her at that price.
Fixed it for you hookers-and-blow style.
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
noob5,000,000
Master Standardshifter

Post by noob5,000,000 »

I love McMaster-Carr. Pretty soon I'll be placing a massive order from them.

I have one major obstacle in my project, though. I plan on relocating the battery but I have no welding skills or equipment, which means I can't build a strong mount for the battery (I like to avoid having batteries flying around the interior). I'll have to either commission someone to weld it up for me, or come up with a creative way to bolt something together while maintaining safety.
theholycow
Master Standardshifter

Post by theholycow »

noob5,000,000 wrote:I love McMaster-Carr. Pretty soon I'll be placing a massive order from them.
They have all the drill/dremel/grinder wirebrushes that I want and can't find much of anywhere else, but I can't bring myself to invest that much money.

I'll have to either commission someone to weld it up for me, or come up with a creative way to bolt something together while maintaining safety.
Creative bolting is fun, but maybe it's time to invest in welding. You can get into small welding equipment, perfect for the battery tray job, for $50 or less on Craigslist. I got my 230 amp stick welder for $35. What I haven't done is practice...gotta get to that.