Remote Start

Off-topic posts, quotes of the day and anything else you just would like to vent to the world. PG-13 or below PLEASE!
CodeR3D
Senior Standardshifter

Remote Start

Post by CodeR3D »

I was thinking about getting this on my car, but I'm not sure.
I called the place I wanted to get it done, and they won't do it.
I know I want to get an alarm asap, but remote start would be nice since winter is coming up soon.

Does anyone have this? How well does it work for you?

One of my friends has it, and all they do it park in neutral, and set the e-brake. She has never had any problems with it.
Prodigal Son
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2006 Jetta, 2004 Miata

Post by Prodigal Son »

Since idling your car is bad for the car and bad for the environment, I'd suggest investing in a heated seat kit instead of a remote starter.
Just some guy on the Internet. Heed with care.
PureLife
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '98 BMW 323is (2.8)

Post by PureLife »

Manufacturers advise against idling to warm up the car ... if you got ice on it or whatever, where you have to let it idle, is it really that hard to step outside for 10 seconds and fire up? Besides, how would you turn on the window defogger/heat etc if you're inside?

Plus on a manual car ... there's gonna be that one time where you forget to pull the ebrake, leave the car in gear, you'll fire it up and send it either into your house or into traffic.
CodeR3D
Senior Standardshifter

Post by CodeR3D »

Hmm... You guys make some really good points. I guess I will just go without it. I really don't want to end up crashing my car into something.

Plus, they have to mess with a bunch of stuff to get to work don't they?

What's the clutch lockout do?
Bawked
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 08 JDM Subaru Impreza STI

Post by Bawked »

Clutch lockout stops you from starting without the clutch in, I don't think any cars I've driven have needed the clutch in though. Put in first and crank with some gas = starter motor launch, but don't do that :) kills your starter motor but with clutch lockout you can't do that :x
<3 fwd
CodeR3D
Senior Standardshifter

Post by CodeR3D »

Bawked wrote:Clutch lockout stops you from starting without the clutch in, I don't think any cars I've driven have needed the clutch in though. Put in first and crank with some gas = starter motor launch, but don't do that :) kills your starter motor but with clutch lockout you can't do that :x
Oh, thats what I thought it was. Thanks!
IMBoring25

Post by IMBoring25 »

The times you'd most want to warm up the car (And would thus not be able to park the car in gear, but instead would have to rely on the parking brake) would also be the times it would be most likely for the parking brake to freeze.
CodeR3D
Senior Standardshifter

Post by CodeR3D »

Well, I guess you guys talked me out of it. I guess I will wait til I'm old and have to drive automatic cars to get remote start.

I probably couldn't find a decent place to do it anyways.

Thanks guys. Appreciate the help a lot!
Prodigal Son
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2006 Jetta, 2004 Miata

Post by Prodigal Son »

CodeR3D wrote:Well, I guess you guys talked me out of it. I guess I will wait til I'm old and have to drive automatic cars to get remote start.
Errr... At what age do you have to drive an automatic? I hope I've got a few years of driving standard left in me. :)
Just some guy on the Internet. Heed with care.
Ecmslee
Senior Standardshifter

Post by Ecmslee »

paul34 wrote:I like having the option of leaving it in gear as a backup, especially on steep inclines where my handbrake struggles a bit before finally holding the car.
Didn't you post a thread where you described how to adjust the handbrake on your tC? Your handbrake still struggles to hold after adjustment?
jory543
Master Standardshifter

Post by jory543 »

Well I posted a long reply on the positive sides of hving a remote starter, but my crappy ISP cut out on me so it didn't work. Oh well :?
CodeR3D
Senior Standardshifter

Post by CodeR3D »

Prodigal Son wrote:
CodeR3D wrote:Well, I guess you guys talked me out of it. I guess I will wait til I'm old and have to drive automatic cars to get remote start.
Errr... At what age do you have to drive an automatic? I hope I've got a few years of driving standard left in me. :)
Idk, 75? Or whenever your body is messed up and you can't do it.

jory543 wrote:Well I posted a long reply on the positive sides of hving a remote starter, but my crappy ISP cut out on me so it didn't work. Oh well :?
Oh, that sucks. :( I would've liked to read it.
DW10+BE4/5L
Senior Standardshifter

Post by DW10+BE4/5L »

Or you could get one of these.
Tinton
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 91 MR2t, 88&86 Fieros

Post by Tinton »

Ecmslee wrote:
paul34 wrote:I like having the option of leaving it in gear as a backup, especially on steep inclines where my handbrake struggles a bit before finally holding the car.
Didn't you post a thread where you described how to adjust the handbrake on your tC? Your handbrake still struggles to hold after adjustment?
I never trust the e-brake in a car. They can slip so easily and send your car into a gentle roll into what ever's in front of it or behind it. When I park I do apply the e-brake and I put it into gear. I never just use the e-brake though, I ALWAYS put it in gear when I park.

The remote start wouldn't be a bad idea, as long as you put in enough safety features. You'd definitely need a lockout for it so it'd only work with the car in neutral. It'd also help if you kept the clutch lockout, except when the car was in neutral. You'd also have to make sure your e-brake was well adjusted.

And another thing that's probably already been mentioned, what about the e-brake freezing? I've heard of people having their e-brake lock up in cold weather. If its cold enough to require the remote start, isn't it cold enough for the e-brake to get stuck?