Computer Assistance Please

Off-topic posts, quotes of the day and anything else you just would like to vent to the world. PG-13 or below PLEASE!
mtheis
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 07 Corolla, 76 Celica

Post by mtheis »

six wrote:In addition to that, the MAX resolution you could run through composite is 640x480.
Actually, 800x600 is possible too, if not higher.
eaglecatcher wrote:How the hell do you make your own proxy? lol
PM me if you want to know how to set one up. I have one and it's been a lifesaver.
2007 Corolla
2017 Cannondale Quick 3
1995 Tercel
1976 Celica GT
Unofficial SS.com IRC Server
Driving stick since March 20, 2002
Official lurker
Bawked
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 08 JDM Subaru Impreza STI

Post by Bawked »

1. setup a proxy, easy as pie... mmmmmmm pie :lol:

2. theres no time like the present to go to linux! Maybe something like ubuntu would be good :P

3. projectors are cheap if not free! just find someone that threw theirs out because they didn't know you can replace the bulb lol, friend got theirs that way. The vga resolution projectors are old tech now and can be picked up cheap second hand.
<3 fwd
eaglecatcher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '90 300ZXTT 5MT

Post by eaglecatcher »

Bawked wrote:1. setup a proxy, easy as pie... mmmmmmm pie :lol:

2. theres no time like the present to go to linux! Maybe something like ubuntu would be good :P

3. projectors are cheap if not free! just find someone that threw theirs out because they didn't know you can replace the bulb lol, friend got theirs that way. The vga resolution projectors are old tech now and can be picked up cheap second hand.
Ubuntu sounds like an idea. how do I go about doing that and removing Win98? That would probably fix half the issues. lol

I may look into a projector. that would be so badass. maybe I'll get one for my birthday, much more worthwhile than springs for my rustang.
Z1 Intake
Z1 2.5" Test pipes
HKS 65mm Hi-Power Exhaust
AMS Short Shifter
SZ Subframe Spacers
HKS Vein Pressure Converter
DDM Tuning 6000k HIDs
NonChalant
Master Standardshifter

Post by NonChalant »

Download the livecd, burn it, stick it in your drive, restart your computer.

That's about it. Ubuntu is so self-explanitory and pampering that you don't really need to know much more.

Oh, go into your BIOS and make sure that your computer boots from the CD before the harddrive if the livecd doesn't want to run.

I second the Ubuntu idea.
eaglecatcher
Master Standardshifter

Post by eaglecatcher »

NonChalant wrote:Download the livecd, burn it, stick it in your drive, restart your computer.

That's about it. Ubuntu is so self-explanitory and pampering that you don't really need to know much more.

Oh, go into your BIOS and make sure that your computer boots from the CD before the harddrive if the livecd doesn't want to run.

I'm so gonna do that. I mean, the comp is gonna get trashed anyways, who cares if I crash it. lol

So will installing Ubuntu wipe everything off the computer?
Z1 Intake
Z1 2.5" Test pipes
AMS Short Shifter
SZ Subframe Spacers
DDM Tuning 6000k HIDs
NonChalant
Master Standardshifter

Post by NonChalant »

eaglecatcher wrote:
NonChalant wrote:Download the livecd, burn it, stick it in your drive, restart your computer.

I'm so gonna do that. I mean, the comp is gonna get trashed anyways, who cares if I crash it. lol

So will installing Ubuntu wipe everything off the computer?
There's no such thing as "crashing" a computer really (unless you physically abuse it :P). If it's a software problem the hard drive can always be formatted.

When you install Ubuntu, you're probably going to repartition and reformat your hard drive. That will delete everything off of the computer.
The same would happen if you repartitioned and reformatted a computer to put windows on it.
Warner
Master Standardshifter

Post by Warner »

If you plan on putting Ubuntu on your computer, make sure you have another computer you can use while you're trying to install it. Depending on your hardware setup, it may or may not be quite as self explanatory as NonChalant and Bawked are saying it is. With Google by your side, though, it shouldn't be too difficult.
Nychold
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2007 Scion tC

Post by Nychold »

All operating systems suck, in some respect or other. Linux sucks for ease of use, Windows sucks for stability, Mac sucks for both. :lol:
Watercolor: I'm a grade A bone sucker!
Me: :shock: :) :D :twisted:
nothfx
Senior Standardshifter

Post by nothfx »

Nychold wrote:All operating systems suck, in some respect or other. Linux sucks for ease of use, Windows sucks for stability, Mac sucks for both. :lol:
Eh, linux doesn't really suck for ease of use anymore (unless you plan to try and install some windows progs....), and windows is far more reliable than it used to be :)

mac, well mac has some fanboys for sure.
2006 Chevy Cobalt Coupe LS 5MT
2003 Ford Mustang GT 5MT
StrangeWill
Master Standardshifter

Post by StrangeWill »

nothfx wrote:
Nychold wrote:All operating systems suck, in some respect or other. Linux sucks for ease of use, Windows sucks for stability, Mac sucks for both. :lol:
Eh, linux doesn't really suck for ease of use anymore (unless you plan to try and install some windows progs....), and windows is far more reliable than it used to be :)

mac, well mac has some fanboys for sure.
I can't talk for Ubuntu, but as far as trying to set up an FTP server, it's been a bloody nightmare, hours of setup, and a bug no one can explain (all files are granted 000 permissions, yay!). Like the 3rd most popular FTP software too.

In Windows I can have it up and running in 5 minutes... maybe less.
:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
NonChalant
Master Standardshifter

Post by NonChalant »

setting up an ftp server on linux (if it isn't already on the system.. which most distros come with anyway) takes about 10 seconds (if you don't count compile time)

The thing with linux is that you want to do more advanced things with it you have to actually know what you're doing. If you're using a windows computer you can just click next until it does it for you.

That's the downside, I guess?
Same downside as driving a manual transmission car :lol:
eaglecatcher
Master Standardshifter

Post by eaglecatcher »

well, I'm in the process of installing ubuntu right now.

It had to go buy a new keyboard, because I have my old one on this computer, because the one that came with it had too short of a cord, and one day I got so pissed off that it was so short, I just jerked the keyboard, and guess what? wire came out. lol.

Anyways, I bought a 30 dollar Kensington keyboard I belive it is. Its basically a laptop/desktop keyboard hybrid. Its got well sized keys, but they have a shorter travel like the laptop keys (which I like), but its got the number pad and what not. Its only 3/4 of an inch thick as well, which is really nice.

So ubuntu is installing, I'm gonna go check on it and see.

Welll its going, just very slowly.

My computer only has 128MB of ram, so that could be why. lol.

If it works, I'm gonna upgrade it to a 512MB, which can be gotten for like, 40-50 bucks.

I'm not gonna upgrade the RAM until I know its gonna work though.
Z1 Intake
Z1 2.5" Test pipes
AMS Short Shifter
SZ Subframe Spacers
DDM Tuning 6000k HIDs
NonChalant
Master Standardshifter

Post by NonChalant »

Eh, you don't need more RAM. Linux runs fine with whatever you have. Just make your swap partition big (a gig at least).

I ran gentoo linux on my old p500something with 128mb of ram. Smoother and more reliable than my new windows desktop.
eaglecatcher
Master Standardshifter

Post by eaglecatcher »

NonChalant wrote:Eh, you don't need more RAM. Linux runs fine with whatever you have. Just make your swap partition big (a gig at least).

I ran gentoo linux on my old p500something with 128mb of ram. Smoother and more reliable than my new windows desktop.
grrr. this version of ubuntu requires 384MB of ram. wtf.

so now I gotta figure out another solution. I'm going linux for sure. How hard is gentoo to use?
Z1 Intake
Z1 2.5" Test pipes
AMS Short Shifter
SZ Subframe Spacers
DDM Tuning 6000k HIDs
NonChalant
Master Standardshifter

Post by NonChalant »

eaglecatcher wrote:
NonChalant wrote:Eh, you don't need more RAM. Linux runs fine with whatever you have. Just make your swap partition big (a gig at least).

grrr. this version of ubuntu requires 384MB of ram. wtf.

so now I gotta figure out another solution. I'm going linux for sure. How hard is gentoo to use?
Eh. Gentoo is the easiest and the hardest distro to use. I wouldn't really recommend it to you as a first-time user. You can try some version of fedora or mandrake or maybe debian, but debian is a little harder than the others as well.

That said, I used Gentoo as my first distro with very little knowledge, so it's possible to get into linux like that. But you've got to be really willing to learn and make mistakes and spend a lot of time on simple tasks :P After all that work though, you'll really be an expert.

If you want an easy, user-friendly distro, go for fedora or mandrake.