computer problem...

Off-topic posts, quotes of the day and anything else you just would like to vent to the world. PG-13 or below PLEASE!
subzero
Master Standardshifter

computer problem...

Post by subzero »

i was on the basement comp downloading mp3s when all of a sudden the pc restarts by itself..so i said "meh whatever"

waited till it got back up to login screen, put in my pw and it froze. restarted again and it did the same thing. shut it down for 10 minutes and started it up, and now there is nothing displayed on the monitor and there is just a loud beeping noise coming from the tower. beeeeep...beeeep...beeeep etc.

any help will be appreciated.

edit: happy father's day. 8)
FREE ROMAN!
jomotopia
Cars: 04 STi, 05 Matrix XR (AT)

Post by jomotopia »

sounds like a hardware problem to me. beeping at startup can mean bad or incompatible ram, could probably also mean some other piece of hardware is not working.

first i'd open it up and make sure everything is securely connected. if it is or it still won't start up i'd start pulling out hardware pieces and trying to reboot to try and isolate what piece of hardware has the problem.
2013 Subaru Impreza WRX in Orange
n00b
Senior Standardshifter

Post by n00b »

If you have more than 1 stick of ram, use 1 stick at a time and try booting. It's also possible that one of the slots is broken so you may want to test all of the slots with each stick.
DeHackEd
Senior Standardshifter

Post by DeHackEd »

If your motherboard came with a manual (or maybe your whole system manual may do), check for what the beep pattern means. Single, slow and non-stop beeps usually mean bad CPU or RAM. A long beep followed by 3 short beeps (and then stop) usually means bad video card. I'm betting RAM though.

Open the case (as long as this doesn't void the warrenty on your system) with the power supply OFF -- flip the switch on the back of the power supply, but don't unplug it unless there's no such switch. Clean it out with a vacuum cleaner with a can of air if available. A good cleaning keeps parts cool and running well. If it keeps beeping, try reseating the RAM.

By keeping the power supply plugged in but off, you can ground yourself by touching the P.S. case itself. Avoid touching any metal part of your vacuum to anything inside the sytem. I use the high suction adaptor with the long thin opening.
2013 Mazda 3
Driving stick since mid-`07
Ecmslee
Senior Standardshifter

Post by Ecmslee »

Reset your BIOS with the jumper on the motherboard.
snikro
Senior Standardshifter

Post by snikro »

DeHackEd wrote:If your motherboard came with a manual (or maybe your whole system manual may do), check for what the beep pattern means.
No, from reading the first post it sounds to me like his motherboard came with an automatic. :D
'73 Schwinn Suburban
'85 Honda Aero 50 (Sold)

vedran
Master Standardshifter

Post by vedran »

by any chance was there lightning/thunder outside? sounds like something a power surge would cause. if not, do as said above and try reseating your RAM and check if all components are connected (even though it's weird something would disconnect)
2012 VW GTI - 6MT
2001 Infiniti QX4 - 4AT
mikebai1990
Senior Standardshifter

Post by mikebai1990 »

As jomo said, it's probably a hardware error. Check to make sure that you have all the connections secured (keyboard, mouse, etc..) Then check your ram and your cable connections. If that doesn't work, try pulling out all unnecessary cards (extra usb slots, audio card, etc..) and boot with your bare minimum (video, mouse, keyboard, monitor). Hope that helps.