Saw a nooby to standard yesterday

Off-topic posts, quotes of the day and anything else you just would like to vent to the world. PG-13 or below PLEASE!
Nervous
Master Standardshifter

Saw a nooby to standard yesterday

Post by Nervous »

Well I was leaving the gym yesterday and I passed this part where the cars are parked on an uphill part, and if you reverse to the right, you're at another uphill part. Well the thing is, if you just reverse out of the parking spot and keep going, there's like a 3 foot drop (not a hill, like a literal vertical drop.) So to avoid that if you parked there, you HAVE to reverse to the right.

Well this guy in a Civic was reversing and started to turn to the right, but I think he let go of the clutch a little TOO fast and was headed pretty quickly towards the drop, so he immediately slams it into first (I thought it was impossible to engage a forward gear going backwards?) and must have redlined the motor because that was the loudest and smokiest burn out I've ever heard, that guy must have FREAKED OUT.

I tried parking there once, but my e-brake wouldn't hold me, good thing eh?
jomotopia
Cars: 04 STi, 05 Matrix XR (AT)

Re: Saw a nooby to standard yesterday

Post by jomotopia »

Nervous wrote:(I thought it was impossible to engage a forward gear going backwards?)
it's possible b/c the forward gears have synchros. it's going into reverse while moving forward that you can't do b/c of no synchro on reverse.
2013 Subaru Impreza WRX in Orange
eaglecatcher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '90 300ZXTT 5MT

Post by eaglecatcher »

haha. I never did a burnout on accident while I was noobing it, but I did chirp the tires. The first time I ever drove a stick though, I would rev to like 2500 to launch. Ridiculous, but it made me comfortable. it only took a week for me to get down to like 1800. Now i luanch at like 1200.

no idea what the really ahd to do with the OP, but meh...
Z1 Intake
Z1 2.5" Test pipes
HKS 65mm Hi-Power Exhaust
AMS Short Shifter
SZ Subframe Spacers
HKS Vein Pressure Converter
DDM Tuning 6000k HIDs
hockeystyx16
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 95 probe GT

Post by hockeystyx16 »

i remember my 1st day driving stick. 1st red light. stalled 4 times. 5th time, frustrated and embarrased, revved to 5000 and dumped the clutch. burned out thru the whole intersection.

still a occasional chirp here and there, but only when i want to. normal driving i never chirp. only time i launch hard (fast seesaw clutch dump floor gas) and chirp when im trying to get a big jump on the car next to me at a red light.
-Roman
95 Probelem GT
eaglecatcher
Master Standardshifter

Post by eaglecatcher »

I saw a mondo noob today. I was at a light, and there were 2 L turn lanes, and I was in the far left, and ther was a black civic in the very front. The light turned green, and our lane started going, and I drove past the civic, and it just kept jerking and stopping, jerking and stopping. It MISSED THE GREEN LIGHT it took so long. I finally saw it in my rearview mirror. It took forever. I laughed.
Z1 Intake
Z1 2.5" Test pipes
AMS Short Shifter
SZ Subframe Spacers
DDM Tuning 6000k HIDs
eaglecatcher
Master Standardshifter

Post by eaglecatcher »

I know. I laughed at myself too every time I stalled. I didn't honk at him or anything.

It was a ricer though...

Maybe I should have rolled down the window and been like "Yo dudez!!1! revs up yo injen to da VTAK n' den launch off. You doos a hella mad tyte race launch wif dat!!1!1

I'm not too good at ricer talk. But that owul dhave been funny. or I coud have said "take off that huge as wing, unpainted body kit, and totally unnecessary 4 inch exhaust, and it will be much easier to launch, you'll drop like 200 lbs"
Z1 Intake
Z1 2.5" Test pipes
AMS Short Shifter
SZ Subframe Spacers
DDM Tuning 6000k HIDs
Thet'iko Nexaris
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2002 Honda Civic

Post by Thet'iko Nexaris »

My first hill launch resulted in squealing tires.
2002 Honda Civic EX
scionkid
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 04 xB

Post by scionkid »

I was in my bus once. This rookie in his Integra at a stop sign on a 5 degree hill and had a hard time get going. Everytime it stalled, it rolled back a little. On the 5th try, it was an inch from my bumper and I had no where to backup. He got out of his car and ask me to push w/ the bus.

There was no way I was gonna risk chewing up a Honda with a bus. So I offered to move that car over the hill and park it facing downhill.
Ecmslee
Senior Standardshifter

Post by Ecmslee »

Heheh, stories like this make me smile. The guy was lucky to have one of the Standardshift seniors behind him on that hill. Imagine if it was an impatient soccer mom in an SUV behind him. Hey, you should've also handed him a Standardshift.com business card while you were at it!
Johnf514
Cars: '07 Mazda3, '06 Ninja 636

Post by Johnf514 »

In traffic last week I observed the "bucking bronco" in the lane next to me. The new SS driver managed to get her Honda Elephant going, but she very nearly bucked into the car in front of her. :lol:

Hey, I'm laughing with her, not at her! :wink:
2007 Mazda3
Mods: 15% tint, Eibach ProKit
2006 Ninja 636
Mods: NOS & sidecar
six
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2015 Chevrolet SS 6MT

Post by six »

Mazda3s are one of the easiest cars to drive. John will do fine :)
2015 Heron White Chevrolet SS Sedan 6MT
Nervous
Master Standardshifter

Post by Nervous »

Thet'iko Nexaris wrote:My first hill launch resulted in squealing tires.
Hah, yea, same thing happened to me. I went to a short SS school to learn Manual (I was really hyped to learn Manual), and I was talking to the instructor the whole time, he ended up giving me an extra hour of lessons because he didn't have anything to for an hour after me. Anyway, I was asking him how to do hill launches, and he went over it once with me. THen he's like, we'll try it again later.

So I end up going to my home town (We drove around to far places..) and I end up getting a red light on the STEEPEST hill in town. I was like, O man, what do I do?! he told me to chill for a while and do a regular launch, but a little faster. I did it, and MAN did I squeal those tires. I hadn't really noticed until he told me. But now hill launches are fine, I still try to avoid them though, but if I get stuck on one I have 100% confidence.