Another Day, Another Idiot Driver (Misc Thread for Stories)

Off-topic posts, quotes of the day and anything else you just would like to vent to the world. PG-13 or below PLEASE!
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Re: Another Day, Another Idiot Driver (Misc Thread for Stori

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Idiot Dodge fans cars on live Formula One track

http://autoweek.com/article/wait-theres ... -one-track
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
wannabe
Master Standardshifter
Cars: NONE - take the bus

Re: Another Day, Another Idiot Driver (Misc Thread for Stories)

Post by wannabe »

wasn't driving, took this phone call at work (AAA)

some guy's lincoln nav overheated, he opened the hood and opened the radiator cap.

I don't think he'll make that mistake again - burned face/neck/hand/etc - he said the paramedics said its like a bad sunburn.

*derp*
2003 Chrysler town and country

Crafting and stuff
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

wannabe wrote:wasn't driving, took this phone call at work (AAA)

some guy's lincoln nav overheated, he opened the hood and opened the radiator cap.

I don't think he'll make that mistake again - burned face/neck/hand/etc - he said the paramedics said its like a bad sunburn.

*derp*
Pain is a great teacher.
It gets your attention and motivates you to work real hard at not letting it happen again.
Squint
Master Standardshifter

Post by Squint »

Rope-Pusher wrote:

*derp*
Pain is a great teacher.
It gets your attention and motivates you to work real hard at not letting it happen again.
Yeah. Next time, he's not going to remove the radiator cap, he'll just grab the hose and remove it from the radiator to see if any coolant is flowing.
'15 Mazda 3 iSport Hatch 6MT
'11 Ford Fiesta Hatchback SE 5MT
'14 Giant Escape City 24MT
'97 Honda Civic EX 4AT - Retired @ 184,001 mi

For Pony!
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Squint wrote:
Rope-Pusher wrote:

*derp*
Pain is a great teacher.
Yeah. Next time, he's not going to remove the radiator cap, he'll just grab the hose and remove it from the radiator to see if any coolant is flowing.
If he does do as you suggested, then there was NOT enough pain involved in the original incident.
kevinf
Senior Standardshifter

Post by kevinf »

The A/C coolant hose blew up in a Ford E-350 I was driving, I thought the radiator cap had blown at first. Turned it off and let it cool down before I even dared opened the hood :lol:
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

kevinf wrote:The A/C coolant hose blew up in a Ford E-350 I was driving, I thought the radiator cap had blown at first. Turned it off and let it cool down before I even dared opened the hood :lol:
Opening the hood is not a smart idea when encountering an engine fire either, unless you stand back and are poised with an extinguisher.
kevinf
Senior Standardshifter

Post by kevinf »

I did have two fire extinguishers and leather work gloves available :mrgreen:
Squint
Master Standardshifter

Post by Squint »

I have a roughly six mile commute from my apartment to work that usually takes 20-30 minutes in the morning depending on traffic. Less than 1/2 mile into my commute this morning, I notice in my mirror a new-ish grey Dodge Challenger lane hopping behind me after turning onto the road I'm on. He's about three cars back from me and keeps jumping to whatever open spaces traffic deems to present him and liberally using the gas pedal. He passes me not long after that and I see it's a dude on his cell phone with the windows rolled down while playing music loudly (though, to his credit, not obnoxiously loud - just easily heard from other vehicles).

I have a habit of mentally following where other cars are on the road during my commute to see if either of the two lanes are flowing dramatically better than the other. Most mornings, it is a complete wash whether you lane hop, stick with one lane, stay right unless passing, or just about any other common method of driving. Traffic is dense enough and there are turns both directions off this road so that each lane ends up having to slow down some when people bail from our Lemming-like rush to work/daycare/wherever. There are turn lanes in for exiting right and left the majority of places, but not everywhere. After three or so miles on this road, it narrows to one lane and so the two lanes of traffic have to merge. This is where you find out if people believe in the zipper method of merging or the "I'm the only thing on the road" method of merging. The majority of people play nice, but every now and again you get people trying to fly up the side and jump a whole five or six cars up the procession.

Basically, you should get the idea that during rush hour, there isn't a ton that people can do to get past the congestion. Lex is known for having somewhat bad traffic because the road system was designed in the 50s and the population has more than tripled since then.

Back to this not-paying-attention-dude in the Challenger. I follow him up this road past the narrowing area and see him jump lanes several times trying to get around drivers who are going marginally slower than him at worst. I probably end up five or six cars behind him, so he's made a net gain of... maybe 10 cars since he's joined the march? After a couple of stoplights with people exiting the main drag, I literally end up right behind him. So for all of his changing, accelerating, and seeming frustration, he's made a net gain of ~four cars in four miles. I've just sat in the same lane the entire drive - driving normally, never passing 2500 RPM or having anything untoward happen.

And then he turns into Starbucks. Guy must have really needed his coffee - still on his phone with the music going. I chuckled at his hard work to get there.
'15 Mazda 3 iSport Hatch 6MT
'11 Ford Fiesta Hatchback SE 5MT
'14 Giant Escape City 24MT
'97 Honda Civic EX 4AT - Retired @ 184,001 mi

For Pony!
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Post by tankinbeans »

I got the finger this morning after I tried to follow the zipper rule. I'd seen a guy trying to merge on and dropped back a couple carlengths so he could move in. Waiting, waiting, waiting. I lose my patience and fill the space because people are agitating behind me. He's forced in behind me and shoots off the one fingered salute.

On his phone yacking the whole time. It's not exactly as if you could miss my car and the space I was leaving.

Long story short, bullhorns should be allowed in cars to give people a clue.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Post by tankinbeans »

I got the finger this morning after I tried to follow the zipper rule. I'd seen a guy trying to merge on and dropped back a couple carlengths so he could move in. Waiting, waiting, waiting. I lose my patience and fill the space because people are agitating behind me. He's forced in behind me and shoots off the one fingered salute.

On his phone yacking the whole time. It's not exactly as if you could miss my car and the space I was leaving.

17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

tankinbeans wrote:I got the finger this morning after I tried to follow the zipper rule. I'd seen a guy trying to merge on and dropped back a couple carlengths so he could move in. Waiting, waiting, waiting. I lose my patience and fill the space because people are agitating behind me. He's forced in behind me and shoots off the one fingered salute.

He was waiting for you to mail him an invitation.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Post by watkins »

So many bad drivers and assholes on the road today everywhere it seems.
wannabe
Master Standardshifter
Cars: NONE - take the bus

Post by wannabe »

Car A (pulling a boat) pulls out in front of car B (impala without round tail lights), who then guns his (B) engine, passes car A, then swerves in front of car A, slams on his (B) brakes so hard to make blue smoke come out, and then guns off into the distance....

if Car A hit car B because car B was a jackass even tho A pulled out in front, who is at fault?

"you pissed me off even tho its a two lane road so we can both drive nicely so i'm goig to be a jackass cuz i feel you slighted me"

I only paid attention due to the loud honking noise from B when he felt that A pulled in front of him.
2003 Chrysler town and country

Crafting and stuff
IMBoring25

Post by IMBoring25 »

That's a tricky one but, in most states, provided there are enough witnesses to corroborate A's story, I would expect the majority of fault to be allocated to B (but maybe not 100%).