Another Day, Another Idiot Driver (Misc Thread for Stories)

Off-topic posts, quotes of the day and anything else you just would like to vent to the world. PG-13 or below PLEASE!
wannabe87
Junior Standardshifter

Re: Another Day, Another Idiot Driver (Misc Thread for Stories)

Post by wannabe87 »

ClutchFork wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:58 am [quote=Rope-Pusher post_id=385878 time=1550689030 user_id=549
They covered them up and widened the roads years ago. The trees that used to touch to form a canopy above the road are long-gone as well. You have to go a lot further away from Detroit to find a Rue-Roll area in these modern times we live in.
I'll say! Detroit would be a great place to be from--far from! I think it might be rather nice in a small town like Ionia MI.

But if you really want to get Rue-Roll, go to Freeport Michigan. There it is like the Twilight Zone episode where the guy driving in a bad storm went back in time, but for the modern cars you would have no idea. There is not a single chain store there. Whole town barely covers a quarter section.
[/quote]

Freeport mi isn’t far from me in GR.

I haven’t been there tho cuz no car.
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

wannabe87 wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 5:15 am
potownrob wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 2:06 am
wannabe87 wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:34 pm National roadside renter a member a Miata. Banged that up pretty good this morning - smashed windshield, tires wouldn’t roll, heavy damage to the side...was intertwined with the guard rail wires.

Good job. How about you rent practical cars, like a Malibu or impala.
Define practical to rent that’s not expensive for the renter.
ford focus or fusion, Hyundai Elantra or sonata, vw Jetta, even a Nissan Sentra or Altima would be nicer. Then there’s the SUVs you can easily upgrade to like the rogue and escape...

Edit: can’t forget the corolla and Camry!!
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

wannabe87 wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 5:16 am
ClutchFork wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:58 am [quote=Rope-Pusher post_id=385878 time=1550689030 user_id=549
They covered them up and widened the roads years ago. The trees that used to touch to form a canopy above the road are long-gone as well. You have to go a lot further away from Detroit to find a Rue-Roll area in these modern times we live in.
I'll say! Detroit would be a great place to be from--far from! I think it might be rather nice in a small town like Ionia MI.

But if you really want to get Rue-Roll, go to Freeport Michigan. There it is like the Twilight Zone episode where the guy driving in a bad storm went back in time, but for the modern cars you would have no idea. There is not a single chain store there. Whole town barely covers a quarter section.

[/quote]
No intercity bus network in fichigan??
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

potownrob wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 6:35 am
wannabe87 wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 5:16 am

No intercity bus network in fichigan??
[/quote]
You could always ride on Greyhound to get there.
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
wannabe87
Junior Standardshifter

Post by wannabe87 »

I’d rather NOT ride greyhound. I’ll rent a car first.

To take the greyhound to Detroit (Southfield) I had to go to Jackson and Ann Arbor first.

Or I could just take I 96 the whole way there....

Megabus isn’t any better

And the only train from GR to Detroit goes to Chicago first.
wannabe87
Junior Standardshifter

Post by wannabe87 »

I’d rather NOT ride greyhound. I’ll rent a car first.

To take the greyhound to Detroit (Southfield) I had to go to Jackson and Ann Arbor first.

Megabus isn’t any better

Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

You can sure say that again!
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2008 Fusion 2.3L manual

Post by ClutchFork »

wannabe87 wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 11:19 am I’d rather NOT ride greyhound. I’ll rent a car first.

Megabus isn’t any better

I hate busses. Some sweaty slob who hasn't bathed in weeks sits down next to you
Stick shiftin since '77
theholycow wrote:Why in the world would you even want to be as smooth as an automatic? Might as well just drive an automatic...
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

I thought it might have been you, but I wasn't sure, so I didn't say hi.
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2008 Fusion 2.3L manual

Post by ClutchFork »

Rope-Pusher wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 10:56 am I thought it might have been you, but I wasn't sure, so I didn't say hi.
Stick shiftin since '77
theholycow wrote:Why in the world would you even want to be as smooth as an automatic? Might as well just drive an automatic...
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Post by tankinbeans »

Rope-Pusher wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 10:56 am I thought it might have been you, but I wasn't sure, so I didn't say hi.
Somebody has to keep the little trees air freshener company in business. You must not have seen the strings extending around the sleeves of his stained wife beater.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
wannabe87
Junior Standardshifter

Post by wannabe87 »

ClutchFork wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 2:30 am
wannabe87 wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 11:19 am I’d rather NOT ride greyhound. I’ll rent a car first.

Megabus isn’t any better

I hate busses. Some sweaty slob who hasn't bathed in weeks sits down next to you
The last time I was on one someone recited their whole debit card number including the 3 digit code off. I could steal money! People are stupid.
wannabe87
Junior Standardshifter

Post by wannabe87 »

potownrob wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 6:33 am
potownrob wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 2:06 am

ford focus or fusion, Hyundai Elantra or sonata, vw Jetta, even a Nissan Sentra or Altima would be nicer. Then there’s the SUVs you can easily upgrade to like the rogue and escape...

I consider all those sedans to be the same class - fusion, focus, impala, Malibu, Jetta, civic, accord, Elantra, etc.

4 doors.

How about a Jeep Nissan?
wannabe87
Junior Standardshifter

Post by wannabe87 »

ClutchFork wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 2:30 am

Megabus isn’t any better

And as someone who is female, the chance of getting assaulted goes up on a bus vs driving a car...

I can’t drive grandpas this year (dad got the car when grandpa died) so I’ll rent something.
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

wannabe87 wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 3:58 pm
potownrob wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 6:33 am

I consider all those sedans to be the same class - fusion, focus, impala, Malibu, Jetta, civic, accord, Elantra, etc.

4 doors.

How about a Jeep Nissan?
You missed my point, that all or at least most of those are nicer cars to drive than one of those Chevy sedans. Also forgot you can now rent a Honda Accord. This might explain why the accord doesn’t seem to have the same relative “caché” it had before Honda sold out to the rental fleets.