Which one of us is likely to own a van later in life?

Off-topic posts, quotes of the day and anything else you just would like to vent to the world. PG-13 or below PLEASE!
six
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2015 Chevrolet SS 6MT

Post by six »

eaglecatcher wrote:ok, screw the cayenne. only the base model cayenne comes with a 6MT. everything else is tiptronic. I dunno bout the MDX though.
If you could find an MDX with a manual, I will give you permission to shoot me. With a gun. In the head.

No manual conversions. That's the only rule.
2015 Heron White Chevrolet SS Sedan 6MT
ekincam
Junior Standardshifter

Post by ekincam »

My first choice would be a wagon before getting a van. But I definitely would not mind driving one. Hell, I've even borrowed my parents 05 Sienna van and let them use my car (automatic at the time) for a trip with 5 other people. The seating is definitely more comfortable than a car but the middle row seemed a bit low because I couldn't really get my legs on the cushion or extend them in a comfortable seating position. I don't know about the back seat though - I didn't sit back there.

I've driven a 2005 Sienna and a 2000 Honda Odyssey and must say they are quite nice. I've driven a 1998 Dodge Caravan with a 2.4l and that was well...quite an experience on the freeway.

As for SUVs...I don't know. I haven't driven one. I've driven a few Chevy S-10s and 2500 pickups and I mus say that I prefer the van to a SUV if they are based on those trucks. I driven an International 7300 at work which is the base for the International CXT truck, I would not want that as a personal vehicle if I have to get in and out of it several times a day. The suspension is really stiff too. Not to mention that thing gets 8 MPG diesel. Then again, the weight with no cargo is in excess of 14000lbs.
mistapooh
Senior Standardshifter

Post by mistapooh »

Go to Japan and import a van :D . I don't want more than 2-3 kids, so it's all goood.
VTECaddict
Master Standardshifter

Post by VTECaddict »

im thinking Odyssey with MDX internals (to make it a 3.7 liter) and custom turbo. and of course a mild drop, lightweight wide 19's with sticky tires, and a beefy rear sway bar. perhaps a 6MT conversion w/ LSD. wheeee!

other people: LOL look at that ricer minivan!
me: *DC to 2nd and floor it*
other people: daaaaaaaaaaaaaamn! :shock:

:wink:
2006 BMW 330i 6MT
MustangGT
Senior Standardshifter

Post by MustangGT »

I'd never buy or drive a van - but I do realize once I start my own family I'll end up having to get an SUV. I'm thinking I'd go for an auto as well, just for convenience. That way I would have one manual sports coupe for fun, and an SUV for everything else.

It's also funny how the first poster mentioned that all Asians are destined to drive Honda Odyssey, because I got two Chinese guys at work, and they both drive Odyssey's...
V8 Mustang - the stereo's under the hood...
PureLife
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '98 BMW 323is (2.8)

Post by PureLife »

Honestly, I wouldn't mind something like the Ford S-max they got in Europe. Pretty nice for a van ... turbocharged Focus ST engine in it, can be modded cheap, looks alright for a van, manual ...

Sypher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 05 Mazda 3 GT

Post by Sypher »

VTECaddict wrote:im thinking Odyssey with MDX internals (to make it a 3.7 liter) and custom turbo. and of course a mild drop, lightweight wide 19's with sticky tires, and a beefy rear sway bar. perhaps a 6MT conversion w/ LSD. wheeee!

other people: LOL look at that ricer minivan!
me: *DC to 2nd and floor it*
other people: daaaaaaaaaaaaaamn! :shock:

:wink:
lol that would be sweet :lol:
scionkid
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 04 xB

Post by scionkid »

Last time I went to the Mazda Rev It Up event, they had an MPV for test driving around the autox course. It was a slushy but I figure I might as well get a little crazy with it and see what it can do. I went to about 35 mph, dive on the brake, hard left as I released. I think I was doing about 25 through the turn and the body listed about 10 degrees. But the steering was still accurate, more so than any Ford Explorers I've driven. It was an agile vehicle. I couldn't squeal the tires on it if I tried.

If I ever need to get a van, I hope it would be a longer and wider version of the xB or FiT. I'd like the Mazda5 more if it has a lower floor inside. No way will I ever drive an SUV. I don't like the unnecessarily big tires and the high ground cleareance.
violinandbass87

Post by violinandbass87 »

being a girl....and a mom (someday)...i'll prolly drive a van

heck...i drive one anyways (sometimes) we have a full size chevy conversion van...haha i feel like a mom when i drive it...
Brakefade
Senior Standardshifter

Post by Brakefade »

No more than 2 kids for me so a coupe will still do. :D
Only girly men drag, throw in some curves and I'm in.
VTECaddict
Master Standardshifter

Post by VTECaddict »

a small video about the two Odysseys that Honda of Alabama put into the One Lap of America race last year. They won 40 something overall and 2nd and 3rd in class (behind a Grand Cherokee SRT-8 ).

the silver Ody sounds mean! :D

http://www.vtec.net/articles/view-artic ... _id=658078
2006 BMW 330i 6MT
Ecmslee
Senior Standardshifter

Post by Ecmslee »

I've already driven a few vans. Listing some off the top of my head-

'92 Voyager
'96-98 Caravan
'02 Oddysey

The Oddysey is actually very nice for a minivan. It handles and feels more like a large sedan than a big van. Steering feel and response is good. Most likely due to the Honda touch.

Example of steering feel that I dislike- I hated driving the Trailblazer my family rented while we were visiting the east coast. V-8 but sluggish acceleration. You really had to step on the throttle to get it going. The steering was horrible too- felt like the wheel was completely separated from the road. Much like driving with a videogame wheel.

Anyway, if anyone here is or will be in the market for a minivan, the Oddysey gets my personal recommendation.
Standardshifter
Site Admin
Cars: 2005 Legacy GT, Buell

Post by Standardshifter »

Will someday build a Mopar turbo minivan:

-Standardshifter
Shifting the Standard of Automotive Websites
Sypher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 05 Mazda 3 GT

Post by Sypher »

VTECaddict wrote:a small video about the two Odysseys that Honda of Alabama put into the One Lap of America race last year. They won 40 something overall and 2nd and 3rd in class (behind a Grand Cherokee SRT-8 ).

the silver Ody sounds mean! :D

http://www.vtec.net/articles/view-artic ... _id=658078
that's one sick odessey! (the silver one) I wouldn't mind haullin my ass down the road with taht :mrgreen: Thought they should've did a 5/6 speed manual swap
Johnf514
Cars: '07 Mazda3, '06 Ninja 636

Post by Johnf514 »

Standardshifter wrote:Will someday build a Mopar turbo minivan:
I used to own that year of van with a V6. Damn fun vehicle to drive. Surprisingly quick too. Just went through transmissions like gas in an SUV. :roll:

Apparently, he runs in the lower 12s with that thing. Incredible for a 5000+lbs vehicle!
2007 Mazda3
Mods: 15% tint, Eibach ProKit
2006 Ninja 636
Mods: NOS & sidecar