3 day drive

Off-topic posts, quotes of the day and anything else you just would like to vent to the world. PG-13 or below PLEASE!
jcprov21
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2009 Mitsubishi Lancer RA

3 day drive

Post by jcprov21 »

I guess in july i will be taking a 3 day drive up to Seattle area washington. My aunt is buying a house up there and i will be helping her move. Among many place i will be going is Victoria, B.C and i will be driving there.

I wanted to ask our canadain members, why are the differences between driving in the us and canada? What cant i do there that i can do here. Will i on my provisional us drivers license be able to drive up there?

Thanks
Cruel Night
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: Subaru Forester

Post by Cruel Night »

You'll be fine.. pretty much exactly like driving in the states.. although BC drivers are crazy.. keep an eye out on your hsoulders.. ppl seem to pass on those in BC.
2005 Saturn Ion 3
~Resident Drag Queen~
Badmojo
Senior Standardshifter

Post by Badmojo »

The posted speed limits will be in KPH instead of MPH. And I'm not sure about the western states, but you're required by law to wear your seatbelt in B.C.

We B.C. drivers can be pretty bad, but not as bad as drivers in the prairies where the roads don't have any curves. :D
subzero
Master Standardshifter

Post by subzero »

In canada you are permitted to make right turns on red.
Cruel Night
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: Subaru Forester

Post by Cruel Night »

us prairre drivers aren't that bad.. nothing compared to BC and Alberta.. yeesh! And i think Saskatchewan has 2 turns... to go around a rock if i'm not mistaken... lol...
2005 Saturn Ion 3
~Resident Drag Queen~
Honda Rules
Junior Standardshifter

Post by Honda Rules »

We can make a right turn on a red light but must yield everything is in KM/h...you can drive in Canada with ur license...the traffic lights are yellow and there on poles most of them atleast in Toronto..watch out weather is kind of unpredicatble in B.C
Sypher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 05 Mazda 3 GT

Post by Sypher »

subzero wrote:In canada you are permitted to make right turns on red.
unless your in Quebec ;)

Good luck trying to make the transition ;)

Watch out for polar bear and Inuit crossing :lol:
j/k
Paolo300zx
Master Standardshifter

Post by Paolo300zx »

Welcome to the great white north!
what you really need to watch for is lumberjack crossings, inuit, igloos, and polar bears. i'm just kidding. :D there really isnt much difference between driving in the u.s. and canada. just watch your speed (ie. we use klicks not mph) and you'll be fine. also, vancouver and vancouver island will be dry the whole weekend with temps in the teens (for those who use ferenhite, thats mild weather. I know its hard to belive that in some parts of canada there isnt much snow but its true)

btw vancouver is about 45 mins from the states so i drive down there quite abit and i have no problems!

Good luck!
Paolo300zx
Master Standardshifter

Post by Paolo300zx »

Srry, not quite finished. WATCH THE F#%CK OUT FOR BC DRIVERS. WERE CRAZY! western canada seems to take a very relaxed outlook on life and we enjoy playing bumper cars quite abit. ALSO, cars wiht red L signs, and green N signs on the back are our new drivers. you might want to stay away from the cars with L's because they are beginer drivers without a full licence. The cars with the N's should be ok (i'm one of them) they have a full licence, but have not been driving for more than 2 years. Deffinatly shoulder check every time you change lanes, and especially on merges because ppl up here like to fight for every car length they can get.
like i said: No problems! :D
Paolo300zx
Master Standardshifter

Post by Paolo300zx »

last post i promise! also try to catch the weather reports as often as you can because it will be sunny for 1 hour and start pissing rain the next.

Please post on your experiences driving here, i want to know every little stupid thing our drivers did. it can be quite entertaining!