New Californian Provisional Laws

Off-topic posts, quotes of the day and anything else you just would like to vent to the world. PG-13 or below PLEASE!
CaliforniaZX
Senior Standardshifter

New Californian Provisional Laws

Post by CaliforniaZX »

This new law would be effective to those who got their DL after January 1st, 2005.
Provisional Licensing Program

Prohibits a provisional licensee from carrying passengers under the age of 20, unless accompanied by a licensed parent/guardian, licensed/certified instructor or a licensed driver 25 years of age or older, during the first 12 months (currently six months) the driver is licensed.

Prohibits a provisional licensee from driving between the hours of 11 p.m. and 5 a.m. (currently 12 midnight and 5 a.m.).
What do you guys think of the new changes?

Also if you are not a Californian, What are the rules in your area?
Long Live.

Trev
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: VW Jetta 00'

Post by Trev »

All my freinds are affected by this. My freind got really mad when he got the letter in the mail, the day after he got it was his 6 month of having his drivers licence.

I've had mine for over a year now so it's nothing to worry about for me.
littleredcar
Senior Standardshifter

Post by littleredcar »

In tennesse, we have the graduated driver's licence program where you may only have one passenger and can't drive after 11:00pm or until 6:00am, until you turn 17. Personally, i think it is a good idea to introduce driving privilages gradually rather than suddenly giving someone an unrestricted licence. Of course, no one really gets pulled over for something like that.
Nothin runs like a deere.
game_tip
Senior Standardshifter

Post by game_tip »

NC law says that for the first 6 months of getting your license, you can't drive after 9pm and you can only have 1 passenger in the vehicle (unless the passenger is 21 and has had 5 years of driving experience), after that you're ok.
1999 Honda Accord LX 5-speed
scionkid
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 04 xB

Post by scionkid »

I have to agree with this law. When I was 16, me and 4 other friends were in a F250 and we were late to class. 3 of us were telling the driver to slow down before going downhill. But the driver felt like he had to show us something and went for it. He drove up a little ramp, tipped the truck, and took out a fire hydrant.

Now had we been in an M5 w/ bucket seat . . . .

Nah, I shouldn't be suggesting anything. But 5 of us young kids could have been disabled due to one person's experience.
Tiamat
Senior Standardshifter

Post by Tiamat »

Personally, I think it's bull. I look like I'm 18 (on a good day. On bad ones, I'm often mistaken for 16 or so) but I'm 23. No cop in their right mind would pull someone over because they look too young because it would be WAY too easy to screw up and then there would be trouble. The only way this will make any difference at all is if the person was already getting pulled over for something else.

My other question is this: What about those of us with siblings? Last I heard, you could carry passengers with a mommy note, so who's to stop a kid from forging one?

If this were easy or even vagely possible to enforce then, sure, it would be a good idea. The number one most dangerous thing you can do in a car is have a passenger so the longer they delay that, the better.
VTECaddict
Master Standardshifter

Post by VTECaddict »

i think you can only carry your siblings with a parent note, and why would you forge a parent note to drive your siblings? you WANT to drive them places without your parents asking/forcing you too? :shock: :lol:
2006 BMW 330i 6MT
acadien
Senior Standardshifter

Post by acadien »

the age thing is idiotic, i know ppl 16 that are more mature than one 31 year old I know, it should be years of driving experience that matters, not age, regardless, those laws are idiotic. Here in Manitoba, first 15 months after getting the license, you're only allowed to have 1 passenger between midnight and 5 am, unless the person in the seat closest to you has ahd his license for 3 years or more, and is not drunk. But that law is pretty much not enforce, and if you get caught, get one all of your friends except one to act drunk, and tell the cop you couldnt let them drive, and they'd let you off, and i only heard of one occasion of someone getting pulled over purely for that, not a very common thing indeed.