Driver's Licences???

Off-topic posts, quotes of the day and anything else you just would like to vent to the world. PG-13 or below PLEASE!
Honda Rules
Junior Standardshifter

Post by Honda Rules »

I am set to take my G in January I wish this Speeding ticked doesnt screw me over...yea OPP is retarded...did u hear a police officer gave sumone a ticket goin 1km overspeed...it happened in toronto..probably becuz of the work to rule
Sypher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 05 Mazda 3 GT

Post by Sypher »

lol, no i didnt hear about that... thats retarded. That guy should really fight that ticket... 1 km/h over the posted speed limit will not hurt anyone and no one can be 100% to drive at the speed limit even if they want to.

Yeah, hope that ticket doesnt screw you over, though you might have a harder time trying to get it though. Im planning to get my G in either January or February too... I just hope that there is gonna be a lotta snow on that day lol.
scionkid
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 04 xB

Post by scionkid »

Dude, you broke the law, even for 1 km/h. I'd be pissed too, but I wouldn't hold a grudge against the officer, just like my buddy who got a ticket for jaywalking. The officer can give you a ticket even if you are driving below the limit if it is unsafe to do so.

BTW, I know people who failed driving tests by going down hill at 40 mph while the speed limit was 45. What they should have done was to drive @ 30, like I did, and downshift. Of course, it didn't help their case one bit when the entire vehicle smelled like brakes. It isn't about speed limit, it's your safe speed that matters.
Honda Rules
Junior Standardshifter

Post by Honda Rules »

I agree with somewhat with u scionkid, but sum guy went 1km over speed....like i would understand a little u kno if sum police officer gabe like 10 over speed or 5-10...but 1 km tats stupid...and u kno whats so wierd...it was a road tat has a speed limit of 80. Like if its a 50 zone police are very strict...becuz its usaully residential or school zone. Also, the Chief of Toronto thought this ticked was ridiculous...also, i remember recalling the day he got the ticket it was good weather...like in 20 degrees celsius and the roads were dry..
HighlyEvolved
Senior Standardshifter

Post by HighlyEvolved »

In mexico city:
show up with proof that you are at least 15
take picture
done

no writen or driving test whatsover.
'06 SEAT Ibiza
Warner
Master Standardshifter

Post by Warner »

HighlyEvolved wrote:In mexico city:
show up with proof that you are at least 15
take picture
done

no writen or driving test whatsover.
Man, I was gonna follow that up with some shocking statistics about automobile accidents in Mexico, but my Google search yielded nothing :lol: .
Johnf514
Cars: '07 Mazda3, '06 Ninja 636

Post by Johnf514 »

Mexico - The National Institute of Statistics, Geography, and Information reports, in their publication "Mortality by Selected Causes of Death 1991-96," that in 1996 35,000 citizens died from trauma-related accidents. Although the actual numbers are not given, we estimate that at least 35% of them or 12,250 were killed in motor vehicle accidents.

That took a while to find. :wink:
2007 Mazda3
Mods: 15% tint, Eibach ProKit
2006 Ninja 636
Mods: NOS & sidecar
86_MR2
Junior Standardshifter

Post by 86_MR2 »

scionkid wrote:Wow, it is much easier in California. You just can't make more than 15 minor errors. But one major error will end your test, like speeding, hitting things (curb counts), or improper lane change. I saw one car that had to back up in a straightline for two carlength and it still managed to hit.

For those in the north, what else can you get after the G?

After you have gotten your class G you can get an A-Z class license that is for big rig trucks my dad drives one. i have one question though what kind of calss is a forklift license in???? or is there no class on a forkilft license i have one an it doesn't display the type of class just askin
Sypher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Sypher »

I dont think tere is a class for forklifts... as long as your not driving those construction Caterpillers with a forklift attachment lol
bige1030
Junior Standardshifter

Post by bige1030 »

Warner wrote:Man, I was gonna follow that up with some shocking statistics about automobile accidents in Mexico, but my Google search yielded nothing :lol: .
Keep in mind, though, that their criminal justice system is a lot different than in most places, especially the US. Accidents, even little fender-benders, are both civil and criminal offenses. Also, those involved in an accident and their vehicles can be detained until responsibility is assigned.
rbhays
Junior Standardshifter

Post by rbhays »

In Pennsylvania:

At the age of 16, you are eligible to get you Learner's Permit. This allows you to drive with another licensed driver in the passengers seat. All you have to do to get is pass a simple vison test, take a test on a computer about simple traffic laws (ex: what does a stop sign look like) and get 15 of 18 right. Believe it or not almost half of kids who take the test fail despite how easy the test is.

Then after 6 months you are eligable for your Junior license. This allows you to drive with as many people as seatbelts between 5:00 and 23:00 (11 pm). To get this you have to drive through a small course of cones, parallel park, then drive around the block on the road. To pass you can only get 2 minor errors, and 1 major error.

Then when you are 18, or if you take a defensive driving couse one year from when you got your junoir license, you can get your Senoir license, which allows you to drive without restriction. There is no test, you just have to go to the DMV and fill out some forms.

I really wish it was more difficult. People in PA drive like idiots for the most part. It would be nice to have speed limits above 55 mph, but most drivers dont have the skill to drive any faster safely.
Peterbilt
Senior Standardshifter

Post by Peterbilt »

It is too bad that in the States, police never enforce such "minor" violations as unsafe lane changes, hanging out in the fast lane, and failure to use turn signals. Recently, I saw one guy on an SUV cutting off a cop without signaling his intentions, and guess what? Nothing happened :shock: Personally, I do not see how someone who blows past me in the fast lane is more dangerous than an idiot chaging his/her lane into me while driving 10-15 mph slower. In Europe, people drive fast but safe; here, it is exactly opposite: people drive relatively slow and unsafe.
aiclive01
Junior Standardshifter

Post by aiclive01 »

Is anyone from Oklahoma? Or Texas? I've heard that in one of these states (can't remember which one) that until fairly recently, all you had to do was go down to the drug store etc. and fill out an application and you could drive. Does anyone have more info? I thought that was the funniest thing at the time. -Jim
IMBoring25

Post by IMBoring25 »

Sounds like a myth created to square the perception of the southern US as a backwater. Unabashedly false.

The old routine was reading test (Or demonstrating minimum competence on the reading section of the ACT) and written test for a permit at 15.5, plus eye test and driving test at 16 for the full license. I believe they've gone to graduated licensing now.
Sypher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Sypher »

aiclive01 wrote:Is anyone from Oklahoma? Or Texas? I've heard that in one of these states (can't remember which one) that until fairly recently, all you had to do was go down to the drug store etc. and fill out an application and you could drive. Does anyone have more info? I thought that was the funniest thing at the time. -Jim
lol.. if onlu life was that easy... 8)