Automotive Slang

Off-topic posts, quotes of the day and anything else you just would like to vent to the world. PG-13 or below PLEASE!
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2008 Fusion 2.3L manual

Automotive Slang

Post by ClutchFork »

A couple years ago I learned what it means if a car is bagged, but now I keep seeing that some car is a roller. I am guessing that means it does not run, may not even have an engine but at least has four wheels that will roll. Is that it or not. Educate me please.
Stick shiftin since '77
theholycow wrote:Why in the world would you even want to be as smooth as an automatic? Might as well just drive an automatic...
ClutchDisc
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2009 Mazda 5 2.3L 5MT

Re: Automotive Slang

Post by ClutchDisc »

Or does it possibly mean that the odometer rolled over?
09 Mazda 5 2.3 5-speed manual 171k
11 Subaru Forester auto :( 113k
92 Ford Mustang LX 5.0 5-speed manual 151k
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter

Post by ClutchFork »

For that matter, maybe it means the car was involved in a rollover accident. :lol:
Stick shiftin since '77
theholycow wrote:Why in the world would you even want to be as smooth as an automatic? Might as well just drive an automatic...
IMBoring25

Post by IMBoring25 »

My understanding is that it will roll...The wheels turn and the axles aren't bound up, so it can be pushed around, but it's not capable of moving under its own power. Drivetrain may be missing or non-functional.
ClutchDisc
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2009 Mazda 5 2.3L 5MT

Post by ClutchDisc »

That seems to make the most sense to me too.
09 Mazda 5 2.3 5-speed manual 171k
11 Subaru Forester auto :( 113k
92 Ford Mustang LX 5.0 5-speed manual 151k
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter

Post by ClutchFork »

IMBoring25 wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 11:15 pm My understanding is that it will roll...The wheels turn and the axles aren't bound up, so it can be pushed around, but it's not capable of moving under its own power. Drivetrain may be missing or non-functional.

Somewhere I think I read about show customs (the Trailer Queen variety) that don't even have an engine because it is all about the body work and the owner never intends to actually drive the car. In a sense those are rollers, but I suspect the owners of such customs would not appreciate their creations being called rollers. :lol:
Stick shiftin since '77
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

ClutchFork wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 1:36 am
IMBoring25 wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 11:15 pm My understanding is that it will roll...The wheels turn and the axles aren't bound up, so it can be pushed around, but it's not capable of moving under its own power. Drivetrain may be missing or non-functional.

Somewhere I think I read about show customs (the Trailer Queen variety) that don't even have an engine because it is all about the body work and the owner never intends to actually drive the car. In a sense those are rollers, but I suspect the owners of such customs would not appreciate their creations being called rollers. :lol:
A "Glider" is a vehicle manufactured and sold without it's powertrain. Sometimes a company might purchase gliders and install battery-electric powertrains. This is kind of an old-school way to get started as an electric vehicle manufacturer.
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
IMBoring25

Post by IMBoring25 »

That may be the thing that "saves" the industry, but, historically, gliders have been a way to use pre-emissions drivetrains that actually work in what are otherwise new heavy trucks. Sounds like the Biden EPA is in the process of clamping down on that.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

IMBoring25 wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 1:14 pm That may be the thing that "saves" the industry, but, historically, gliders have been a way to use pre-emissions drivetrains that actually work in what are otherwise new heavy trucks. Sounds like the Biden EPA is in the process of clamping down on that.
Yeah, the kit cars go that route, but the automakers won't sell gliders to individuals, only to business concerns that intend to install alternative powertrains.
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter

Post by ClutchFork »

Rope-Pusher wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 9:25 pm
IMBoring25 wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 1:14 pm That may be the thing that "saves" the industry, but, historically, gliders have been a way to use pre-emissions drivetrains that actually work in what are otherwise new heavy trucks. Sounds like the Biden EPA is in the process of clamping down on that.
Yeah, the kit cars go that route, but the automakers won't sell gliders to individuals, only to business concerns that intend to install alternative powertrains.
Is it regulations that prevent them selling to individuals? You would think there is a buck to be made, why not?

Soap box derby (do they still do those anymore?) cars were gliders!
Stick shiftin since '77
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

ClutchFork wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 11:23 pm
Rope-Pusher wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 9:25 pm
Is it regulations that prevent them selling to individuals? You would think there is a buck to be made, why not?

Soap box derby (do they still do those anymore?) cars were gliders!
Yanno, it ain't that easy to build gliders....how do you fly them off the end of the assembly line and off to the customers? There are teams of people who spend their entire day driving vehicles onto railcars. You can't even test the brakes if the vehicle won't roll under it's own power.

Most automakers only sell through stealerships unless they are doing fleet sales to a rental car company, or a business or utility that contracts for a large group of vehicles to be built to a certain set of options and maybe even in a custom paint color.
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter

Post by ClutchFork »

Rope-Pusher wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 8:50 am Yanno, it ain't that easy to build gliders....how do you fly them off the end of the assembly line and off to the customers? There are teams of people who spend their entire day driving vehicles onto railcars. You can't even test the brakes if the vehicle won't roll under it's own power.

Most automakers only sell through stealerships unless they are doing fleet sales to a rental car company, or a business or utility that contracts for a large group of vehicles to be built to a certain set of options and maybe even in a custom paint color.
Well, they ought to have a bit downhill stretch outside the factory exit so the gliders can just glide right down and test the brakes. A sand pit or runaway ramp might be a good idea in case some pothead on the assembly line forgot to hook up the brakes.

Yep, well the dealers can have the glider option for those too cheap to buy a whole car, who maybe want to stick the engine from their last car in it because the Michigan road salt ate the body off their last car, but the engine is still good, but for the rusted oil pan which is easy to replace.

Yep, fleet orders. Motorhome companies buy lots of cutaway van chassis. My dad once bought a car he said was left over from a fleet order. It was a 1971 Ford Custom 4-door with a 302 and an automatic. It was colored puke yellowish green. It even looked exactly like, but for the color, the cabs that Southfield Cab had in those days. It had that Pontiac pointy nose that some ex-GM guy Ford hired designed as a joke on Ford. It was a really good car though, until it became my car, at which time it was subject to lots of abuse in my later high school days.
Stick shiftin since '77
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

what'd i miss?? :D
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter

Post by ClutchFork »

potownrob wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 12:50 am what'd i miss?? :D

Well if you are too young to have grown up in the 1970s you missed a lot of crazy stuff, but I would say no loss. Besides I am sure the 80s on out had their share of craziness. Just I don't know much about it as I was not in high school then.
Stick shiftin since '77
wannabe
Master Standardshifter
Cars: NONE - take the bus

Post by wannabe »

What is bagged???
2003 Chrysler town and country

Crafting and stuff