If ..........., You Just Might Be Drivin' an Electric

Off-topic posts, quotes of the day and anything else you just would like to vent to the world. PG-13 or below PLEASE!
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

If ..........., You Just Might Be Drivin' an Electric

Post by Rope-Pusher »

If you worry about getting electrocuted from heading through another boat's wake, you just might be Drivin' an Electric
https://www.autonews.com/cars-concepts/ ... ectric-car
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Re: If ..........., You Just Might Be Drivin' an Electric

Post by Rope-Pusher »

If your vehicle's driving range followed the thermometer during the Polar Vortex, you just might be Drivin' an Electric.
https://www.autonews.com/automakers-sup ... ars-teslas
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

If you have to buy batteries to charge your car's batteries, You Just Might Be Drivin' an Electric.

Electricity users can incur high-demand charges from many U.S. utilities when they draw a lot of energy from the grid in a short time, which can happen charging an electric vehicle or a number of them at once at a single station.

“If you pass the demand charge onto the customer in a high-demand charge market” it can cost anywhere from $70 to $110 to charge a vehicle, Electrify America’s chief operating officer Brendan Jones told Reuters. “If you did that, obviously nobody would buy an electric vehicle.”

Tesla Powerpack battery systems draw power from the grid during off-peak hours and store it for use during peak hours to avoid or reduce demand charges. Electrify America will install most of its battery packs in areas of the United States where there is a higher concentration of electric vehicle owners, particularly on the West Coast and the Northeast.
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-volk ... SKCN1PT1NK
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

If your car loses 12% of it's range at 20 F compared to 75 F, but loses an additional 29% of it's range when you defrost the windows and heat the cabin, You Jess Might be Drivin' an Electric.

https://abcnews.go.com/Travel/wireStory ... 0-60902845

AAA ran a study in a temperature-controlled dyno cell. I don't know if they added in headlight usage during winter driving as part of the study, but every electron is sacred, right?

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LeLv6g8ioZw[/youtube]
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

nice points about EVs being overrated etc. i like the idea of hybrids better, as some of you may have noticed, but my sister's experience with her new '18 accord hybrid has me soured a little. granted, the prius or insight seem to do much better in the real world (they still suffer in the winter though), but they shouldn't have rushed this car to market without making sure it would be able to get at least close to the claimed MPG numbers. they also did some software update recently which has made MPG even worse.

https://www.accordxclub.com/forum/106-h ... ybrid.html
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
wannabe87
Junior Standardshifter

Post by wannabe87 »

If it looses range in the winter....it might be electric

https://jalopnik.com/heres-what-happens ... 151810/amp
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

wannabe87 wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:19 am If it looses range in the winter....it might be electric

https://jalopnik.com/heres-what-happens ... 151810/amp
Wannabe,
That was an interesting article. I didn't feel that he had an axe to grind when he planned this journey, but he was realistic about what conveniences you give up when you drive an electric vehicle in a realistic scenario.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Hey Wannabe,
Do you get many/any calls from electric car owners who ran out of "Juice" while out on the roads? If so, how are they handled? Is there any way to give them a quick charge so they can drive to get a better charge, .....
or do they get toad?
wannabe87
Junior Standardshifter

Post by wannabe87 »

Rope-Pusher wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:43 pm Hey Wannabe,
Do you get many/any calls from electric car owners who ran out of "Juice" while out on the roads? If so, how are they handled? Is there any way to give them a quick charge so they can drive to get a better charge, .....
or do they get toad?
Yes

No.

Yes. Tesla’s are a pain in general because you can’t always get to “towing mode”
Their wheel base is almost too big for standard dollies
If they don’t roll (no neutral) you need a wheel lift and dollies or skates for all 4 tires on the flat bed.
wannabe87
Junior Standardshifter

Post by wannabe87 »

wannabe87 wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:36 pm
Rope-Pusher wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:43 pm Hey Wannabe,
or do they get toad?
Yes

No.

Yes. Tesla’s are a pain in general because you can’t always get to “towing mode”
If they don’t roll (no neutral) you need a wheel lift and dollies or skates for all 4 tires on the flat bed.
Our worst one was some stupid enterprise customer who rented a Tesla.

She backed it in improperly at the charging point. It was completely dead. The cord didn’t reach.

Sent 4 different providers and 4 sets of different equipment out there to either tow it or turn it around. Failed. Eventually I had to give enterprise a “stern talking to” that if they check their records we sent 4 tickets out there and all 4 couldn’t do it. That we have limited equipment overnight. Please do not send this ticket again, per my boss. Set it up for a recovery and DONT SEND IT TO US (we don’t get recoveries).

Oh and maybe don’t rent her an electric car
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2008 Fusion 2.3L manual

Post by ClutchFork »

wannabe87 wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:38 pm Our worst one was some stupid enterprise customer who rented a Tesla.

She backed it in improperly at the charging point. It was completely dead. The cord didn’t reach.

Sent 4 different providers and 4 sets of different equipment out there to either tow it or turn it around. Failed. Eventually I had to give enterprise a “stern talking to” that if they check their records we sent 4 tickets out there and all 4 couldn’t do it. That we have limited equipment overnight. Please do not send this ticket again, per my boss. Set it up for a recovery and DONT SEND IT TO US (we don’t get recoveries).

If she had it for a longer time she might have jammed a gas pump nozzle in and tried to fill it up. :)
Stick shiftin since '77
theholycow wrote:Why in the world would you even want to be as smooth as an automatic? Might as well just drive an automatic...
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

wannabe wrote:
wannabe87 wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:38 pm Yes. Tesla’s are a pain in general because you can’t always get to “towing mode”
Our worst one was some stupid enterprise customer who rented a Tesla.

seems a little bit too early in history for a mainstream car rental company to be renting out EVs, no? hybrids or plug-in hybrids i can understand, but full-out EVs?? :? :evil: :( :o :lol:
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
IMBoring25

Post by IMBoring25 »

I've seen them available, but you probably have to request them if you want to be environmentally friendly. Wonder what the carbon footprint of those four 5500-class trucks was...
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

potownrob wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:57 am
seems a little bit too early in history for a mainstream car rental company to be renting out EVs, no? hybrids or plug-in hybrids i can understand, but full-out EVs?? :? :evil: :( :o :lol:
[/quote]

I agree. I've known people that I thought had a normal level of intelligence fuel a diesel vehicle with gasoline. I would expect some electric vehicle renters to do the same thing. Where would they add the gasoline? In the washer bottle? In the charging jack? I really can't imagine where, but someone will do it!
wannabe87
Junior Standardshifter

Post by wannabe87 »

Rope-Pusher wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:44 pm
potownrob wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:57 am
I agree. I've known people that I thought had a normal level of intelligence fuel a diesel vehicle with gasoline. I would expect some electric vehicle renters to do the same thing. Where would they add the gasoline? In the washer bottle? In the charging jack? I really can't imagine where, but someone will do it!
[/quote]

They usually blame their teen driver for a mis fuel. :roll: