Impaled on a shifter

Off-topic posts, quotes of the day and anything else you just would like to vent to the world. PG-13 or below PLEASE!
DreamBig
Junior Standardshifter
Cars: asdf

Impaled on a shifter

Post by DreamBig »

Just another reason to buckle up....especially if you drive an older car that doesn't have all the modern safety stuff. Warning: there's a semi-gory picture in the article of the shift lever stuck inside the guy's leg.

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2013/0 ... or-safety/
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Re: Impaled on a shifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Looking at the picture, I couldn't get a good idea as to the size of the shift knob, but I know that for sales in the EU, there was a minimal cross-sectional area that the shift knob must present, measured from contact with a vertical-cross-car plane, with the knob positioned in any and all of the forward gear positions. It was explained to me that this minimal area would tend to prevent the shift knob from inserting too far through the eye-orbit opening in the skull as to impale the brain, but I'm sure that someone has proven that in the 97th or greater % case, this is still possible.

We referred to this safety standard as the "You'll poke your eye out, kid!" requirement.
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Post by tankinbeans »

How did you find the picture? I was led to a page from 2013, but no specific article.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

tankinbeans wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 4:22 pm How did you find the picture? I was led to a page from 2013, but no specific article.
Back when I helped al Gore invent the internet, we were omniscient enough to require they put a search option on the homepage. I searched "impaled" fni remember correctly.
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2008 Fusion 2.3L manual

Post by ClutchFork »

Shadow started a thread on this in 2013 and his link still works to the article with the gory photos for those interested:
https://www.standardshift.com/forum/vie ... =7&t=19223
Stick shiftin since '77
theholycow wrote:Why in the world would you even want to be as smooth as an automatic? Might as well just drive an automatic...