Does this unicorn exist?

Off-topic posts, quotes of the day and anything else you just would like to vent to the world. PG-13 or below PLEASE!
User avatar
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Posts: 14639
Joined: Sun Dec 23, 2007 6:31 pm
Cars: '16 Ecoboost F150
Location: Coppell, TX

Does this unicorn exist?

Post by AHTOXA » Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:27 pm

Tell me if this exists, guys:

- V8
- RWD (or good AWD)
- manual
- wagon (must be usable, not the severely sloping hatch like some pseudo wagons)
- less than $35k
- new or not older than 2 years
'16 Ecoboost F150
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
'17 Trek Fuel EX8 27.5+
'08 Giant Trance 1 (old school 26'er)

Teamwork
Senior Standardshifter
Posts: 513
Joined: Fri Jan 15, 2016 9:49 pm
Cars: 2015 VW GTI

Re: Does this unicorn exist?

Post by Teamwork » Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:54 pm

Cadillac CTS Spec V wagon comes to mind but the two last check marks don't work out for age (not too sure price 2nd hand..)

User avatar
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Posts: 7317
Joined: Sun Jun 05, 2005 11:35 pm
Cars: '16 Golf; '07 Altima
Location: Dutchess County

Re: Does this unicorn exist?

Post by potownrob » Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:35 am

AHTOXA wrote:Tell me if this exists, guys:

- V8
- RWD (or good AWD)
- manual
- wagon (must be usable, not the severely sloping hatch like some pseudo wagons)
- less than $35k
- new or not older than 2 years
:shock: :lol: :? :shock: :lol: :? :shock: :lol: :twisted: :lol: :shock: :? :lol: :shock: :? :lol: :shock:
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.

IMBoring25
Moderator
Posts: 3293
Joined: Wed Jun 11, 2003 5:01 pm
Location: OK, USA

Re: Does this unicorn exist?

Post by IMBoring25 » Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:11 am

You're asking for the intersection of a lot of very uncommon features. If any one of them is flexible there is potential.

User avatar
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Posts: 3843
Joined: Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:04 pm
Cars: 17 Mazda6, 03 Century
Location: Shakopee, MN

Re: Does this unicorn exist?

Post by tankinbeans » Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:52 am

Are the Germans in the running? My guess is their generally terrible resale might assist.
17 Mazda6
03 Century
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
Image

User avatar
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Posts: 7317
Joined: Sun Jun 05, 2005 11:35 pm
Cars: '16 Golf; '07 Altima
Location: Dutchess County

Re: Does this unicorn exist?

Post by potownrob » Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:49 am

tankinbeans wrote:Are the Germans in the running? My guess is their generally terrible resale might assist.
Are you referring to a Mercedes wagon?? Not even sure if they make it with a v8 though; too lazy to check.
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.

User avatar
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Posts: 3843
Joined: Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:04 pm
Cars: 17 Mazda6, 03 Century
Location: Shakopee, MN

Re: Does this unicorn exist?

Post by tankinbeans » Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:11 am

potownrob wrote:
tankinbeans wrote:Are the Germans in the running? My guess is their generally terrible resale might assist.
Are you referring to a Mercedes wagon?? Not even sure if they make it with a v8 though; too lazy to check.
That or a Bowel Movement Wagen.
17 Mazda6
03 Century
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
Image

IMBoring25
Moderator
Posts: 3293
Joined: Wed Jun 11, 2003 5:01 pm
Location: OK, USA

Re: Does this unicorn exist?

Post by IMBoring25 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:36 am

The manual would be the tricky part with the Benzes, short of importing a second equivalent car from Europe and swapping the drivetrains.

Teamwork
Senior Standardshifter
Posts: 513
Joined: Fri Jan 15, 2016 9:49 pm
Cars: 2015 VW GTI

Re: Does this unicorn exist?

Post by Teamwork » Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:18 pm

Still standing by my choice baby

Image

User avatar
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Posts: 3843
Joined: Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:04 pm
Cars: 17 Mazda6, 03 Century
Location: Shakopee, MN

Re: Does this unicorn exist?

Post by tankinbeans » Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:47 pm

That strikes me as not being in the useful category.
17 Mazda6
03 Century
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
Image

Teamwork
Senior Standardshifter
Posts: 513
Joined: Fri Jan 15, 2016 9:49 pm
Cars: 2015 VW GTI

Re: Does this unicorn exist?

Post by Teamwork » Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:07 pm

tankinbeans wrote:That strikes me as not being in the useful category.
Image
Image

User avatar
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Posts: 3843
Joined: Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:04 pm
Cars: 17 Mazda6, 03 Century
Location: Shakopee, MN

Re: Does this unicorn exist?

Post by tankinbeans » Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:26 pm

Severely sloping hatch present.
17 Mazda6
03 Century
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
Image

User avatar
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Posts: 7317
Joined: Sun Jun 05, 2005 11:35 pm
Cars: '16 Golf; '07 Altima
Location: Dutchess County

Re: Does this unicorn exist?

Post by potownrob » Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:08 am

Teamwork wrote:
tankinbeans wrote:That strikes me as not being in the useful category.
Image
Image
tankinbeans wrote:Severely sloping hatch present.

Image
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.

User avatar
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Posts: 15731
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2007 12:42 am
Cars: 1999 Saab Viggen
Location: Salem, MA

Re: Does this unicorn exist?

Post by watkins » Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:47 pm

That seems to fall in to the same category as Saab 9-5 wagons. It may look like a lot of trunk space, but its too shallow to really be useful. Even with the sharply sloping roof of my Viggen, I can fit a ton more in it.
Image

User avatar
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Posts: 14639
Joined: Sun Dec 23, 2007 6:31 pm
Cars: '16 Ecoboost F150
Location: Coppell, TX

Re: Does this unicorn exist?

Post by AHTOXA » Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:52 am

watkins wrote:That seems to fall in to the same category as Saab 9-5 wagons. It may look like a lot of trunk space, but its too shallow to really be useful. Even with the sharply sloping roof of my Viggen, I can fit a ton more in it.
Yo watkins, is it beneficial to sit out the first coupe years of the JL or is a current JK still a solid choice? Are there JK years to avoid or any major issues to be aware of? I understand about the pre-pentastar V6 and seem to recall some oil consumption issues, but am somewhat vague on the overall matters.
'16 Ecoboost F150
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
'17 Trek Fuel EX8 27.5+
'08 Giant Trance 1 (old school 26'er)

Post Reply