Howdy Grading

Off-topic posts, quotes of the day and anything else you just would like to vent to the world. PG-13 or below PLEASE!
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Howdy Grading

Post by Rope-Pusher »

EV BATTERIES DEGRADE- Autoline Daily
All of us with smartphones or laptops know that the battery degrades over time. Well, the same is true for electric vehicles. Just ask some Nissan Leaf and Tesla owners. To make sure owners are aware of this issue, Chevrolet put a note in the owner’s manual of the new Bolt EV that says the battery could lose 10% to 40% of its capacity over the 8-year warranty of the vehicle. That 40% would bring the EVs range down from 238 to 143 miles. Of course it all depends on how hard you are on the battery and this is the most extreme case, but that’s still a huge reduction. And just imagine if you live in a place where it gets cold. Low temperatures can reduce the range by another 40%. That would bring the total range down to about 86 miles.

http://www.autoblog.com/2016/12/07/chev ... -capacity/

I can't remember owning a vehicle where the fuel tank got that much smaller in cold weather or as the vehicle got older.
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Re: Howdy Grading

Post by tankinbeans »

Living in Minnesota precludes me from entertaining the thought of an electric car. I've driven one and was impressed, but with my drivimg habits it would be a bad idea.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

tankinbeans wrote:Living in Minnesota precludes me from entertaining the thought of an electric car. I've driven one and was impressed,
but with my drivimg habits it would be a bad idea.
Fickset
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

EV RESIDUALS STINK- Autoline Daily
If the price of a new electric car is enough to make you gag, check out the used ones. Nissan Leafs with just 30,000 to 40,000 miles are going for as little as $9,000. The Fiat 500e is even cheaper. Used ones are going down the auction lanes for just over $4,000. That translates into a retail price of around $6,500 on used car lots. You know, when EV proponents talk about how cost effective EV’s are, they never talk about depreciation.

http://www.greencarreports.com/news/110 ... rs-at-6500
Squint
Master Standardshifter

Post by Squint »

Rope-Pusher wrote:EV RESIDUALS STINK- Autoline Daily
If the price of a new electric car is enough to make you gag, check out the used ones. Nissan Leafs with just 30,000 to 40,000 miles are going for as little as $9,000. The Fiat 500e is even cheaper. Used ones are going down the auction lanes for just over $4,000. That translates into a retail price of around $6,500 on used car lots. You know, when EV proponents talk about how cost effective EV’s are, they never talk about depreciation.

http://www.greencarreports.com/news/110 ... rs-at-6500
While that is super cheap, it's still buying a Fiat.

After all, FIAT = Fix It Again Tomorrow (or Fix It Again Tony if you like personally assigning blame).

Also the Fiat 500e was apparently only sold in Oregon and California. Regardless, it's interesting to note that some prices are super low - I wonder if there are still warranties available on battery components if bought used...
'15 Mazda 3 iSport Hatch 6MT
'11 Ford Fiesta Hatchback SE 5MT
'14 Giant Escape City 24MT
'97 Honda Civic EX 4AT - Retired @ 184,001 mi

For Pony!
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Post by tankinbeans »

FIAT - Fu-- It And Trot (or trundle]
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

I wanna say that some dealership had 500e's transferred to his Atlanta, GA business and was selling them there. There were concerns about part and specialty tool available as well as service personnel training, but an OEM apparently cannot control the final destiny of vehicles with limited distribution.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Volvo Shifting
...To Electric Vehicles!
"Volvo will only offer electrified powertrains in models that it launches starting in 2019, a move that signals its intention to phase out the internal combustion engine from its lineup, the automaker said Wednesday."
http://europe.autonews.com/article/2017 ... news-blast
IMBoring25

Post by IMBoring25 »

A little misleading as presented there. They're including hybrid and even mild hybrid as electrified.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

IMBoring25 wrote:A little misleading as presented there. They're including hybrid and even mild hybrid as electrified.
Eye spose they've always been "Electric" in some form - starter motors, spark plugs, etc. - but in this case they mean to have an electric motor in every powertrain configuration after their old-tech vehicles are discontinued.
https://www.media.volvocars.com/us/en-u ... l-electric