Manual vs Automatic

Off-topic posts, quotes of the day and anything else you just would like to vent to the world. PG-13 or below PLEASE!
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2008 Fusion 2.3L manual

Manual vs Automatic

Post by ClutchFork »

Manual:

Automatic:
Stick shiftin since '77
theholycow wrote:Why in the world would you even want to be as smooth as an automatic? Might as well just drive an automatic...
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Re: Manual vs Automatic

Post by tankinbeans »

I have yet to bump start Mrs. Frizzle successfully (wholes push button start have any bearing on the ease worth which one can bump start?). I know it's possible, but not sure exactly how. The Kia I had was exceedingly easy to bump start.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter

Post by ClutchFork »

I single handedly push started my 1995 F150 some years back. I was in a parking structure and the floor was fairly empty, but I had to push the truck back and fourth a couple times to get out from behind a pillar. Then I pushed it about 3 car lengths with the ignition on, jumped in, threw it in first, popped the clutch, and drove it to the shop for a new starter.
Stick shiftin since '77
theholycow wrote:Why in the world would you even want to be as smooth as an automatic? Might as well just drive an automatic...
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

tankinbeans wrote:I have yet to bump start Mrs. Frizzle successfully (wholes push button start have any bearing on the ease worth which one can bump start?). I know it's possible, but not sure exactly how. The Kia I had was exceedingly easy to bump start.
Can you get to what is traditionally known as the "key on engine off" condition? Since that's required for a number of purposes I'm sure it's possible...check the owner's manual.

Electronic fuel injection makes bump starting easy (as long as there's at least a little juice left in the battery). With a carburetor and mechanical fuel pump you really need to turn the engine over a lot more than the little bump you need for EFI, though a can of ether in the trunk could help.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

theholycow wrote: Electronic fuel injection makes bump starting easy (as long as there's at least a little juice left in the battery). With a carburetor and mechanical fuel pump you really need to turn the engine over a lot more than the little bump you need for EFI, though a can of ether in the trunk could help.

fixset :shock:
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
theholycow
Master Standardshifter

Post by theholycow »

Bad Dudes was a great game.

potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

theholycow wrote:Bad Dudes was a great game.
I don't think I ever played it. I assume it was a PC game?? I played somewhat similar games in my day, but that looks cooler than most of the ones I played.
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
theholycow
Master Standardshifter

Post by theholycow »

potownrob wrote:I don't think I ever played it. I assume it was a PC game?? I played somewhat similar games in my day, but that looks cooler than most of the ones I played.
I suspect it was only on NES. That's where I played it.

AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Post by AHTOXA »

I remember trying to bump start my old Integra one evening. It was after work and it was late. Winter in Chicago. The parking lot I was in was flat, with a barely perceptible funnel-like shape towards the middle where the storm drain was. I maneuvered out of the parking spot, which was right near the drain, so I had to first push the car up the little incline. Got it there, got ready, and pushed as hard as I could down it. Hopped in, turned the key, released the clutch in first and...nothing. Crap. Back up the hill we go. Luckily at that point a coworker who I didn't know was still there, and who parked around the corner was leaving and got me a jump. By then I was sweaty and hungry.
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Post by watkins »

AHTOXA wrote:By then I was sweaty and hungry.
This is different than usual how?
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Post by AHTOXA »

watkins wrote:
I got nothing.
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

AHTOXA wrote:
watkins wrote:
I got nothing.
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Post by tankinbeans »

Cow, I realized I forgot to answer your pregunta about "key on, not started." I can get the ignition on, but it's effectively just trying to start the car without the clutch (the Christmas tree of lights illuminates). I don't know if there is a specific sequence of button pushes to get there other than this.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter

Post by ClutchFork »

Maybe the USEPA has required that manuals no longer be capable of push starting? Something to do perhaps with excess emissions on the push start?

I know they require that when you rev the engine in neutral or are downshifting that the rpms come down rather slowly to avoid dumping pollutants from the sudden rpm drop. This of course makes the manual rather sucky to drive. I'll stick with the older manual vehicles so no fun is taken away by government do-gooders.
Stick shiftin since '77
theholycow
Master Standardshifter

Post by theholycow »

tankinbeans wrote:Cow, I realized I forgot to answer your pregunta about "key on, not started." I can get the ignition on, but it's effectively just trying to start the car without the clutch (the Christmas tree of lights illuminates). I don't know if there is a specific sequence of button pushes to get there other than this.
That should do just fine.

I doubt push-starting makes the EPA's list of things to worry about, but then they have been known to address really nitpicky stuff.