Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men?

Off-topic posts, quotes of the day and anything else you just would like to vent to the world. PG-13 or below PLEASE!
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men?

Post by Rope-Pusher »

...or even in the dark, further up the road?

The Shadow Does!

LEDs FIGHT CO2
Automakers are working feverishly to reduce the CO2 emissions from their cars and even headlamps can play a role. LED lamps use five times less energy than incandescent lamps. By using less electricity that means there is less of a draw on the alternator in a car and that translates into less fuel being used. The French supplier company Valeo says that using LED headlamps can cut 1 gram of CO2 per kilometer. With European regulations set at an average of 95 grams of CO2 per vehicle by 2021, every gram counts. And that’s why we’re going to see LED headlamps to become quite popular with European automakers.

THE “DYNAMIC SHADOW” KNOWS
But there is a big difference how LEDs will be used in Europe and the United States. These lamps are so bright they can blind oncoming drivers. So, starting in 2016 in Europe, they’re going to use what’s called a “dynamic shadow.” Inside the headlamp assembly is a moving shutter that tracks oncoming cars and blocks the light that could blind those drivers. In fact, it will even block out light if its following another car, because the bright LEDs can cause the leading car to cast a shadow in front of itself, making it hard for the driver to see. Valeo says the next generation of LED headlamps will create a “dynamic shadow” by shutting off individual LEDs and getting rid of the mechanical shutter. It’s very impressive technology, but it’s illegal in the U.S. market That’s because the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration has yet to determine if this approach is safe. We say don’t hold your breath for a quick resolution. Back in the 1970s it took NHTSA years of study to determine if it was safe for automakers to change from round headlamps to square ones.
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
Squint
Master Standardshifter

Re: Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men?

Post by Squint »

As someone who wasn't alive in the 1970s, did they really take years to decide about square headlights? I grew up seeing cars from the 80s and 90s, so square headlights were all I saw :lol: :lol:
'15 Mazda 3 iSport Hatch 6MT
'11 Ford Fiesta Hatchback SE 5MT
'14 Giant Escape City 24MT
'97 Honda Civic EX 4AT - Retired @ 184,001 mi

For Pony!
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

Rope-Pusher wrote:In fact, it will even block out light if its following another car, because the bright LEDs can cause the leading car to cast a shadow in front of itself, making it hard for the driver to see.
I have experienced this quite a lot when in front of late model vehicles equipped with Retina Burner 9000 (TM) headlights, though I can't say it caused any difficulty. However the usual glare complaints, seeing it in my mirrors or oncoming, remain a problem and are only getting worse.

I can participate in the lighting arms race ok, upgrading my lighting until it lights the road like everyone else's so that when I become dazzled I can still see, but that still leaves everybody with their pupils contracted, night vision reduced, and phosphenes blocking whatever night vision remains. Mutually Assured Devisionizing...

Too bad the NHTSA won't allow the new technology provisionally as a better than nothing attempt while they take their time researching. We'll all be blind and dead in crashes, but at least they won't incorrectly approve the technology!
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2008 Fusion 2.3L manual

Post by ClutchFork »

If someone has their retina burner leds up close in my mirror, I slow down until they pass. I really have no choice because their lights are so bright that I can't see to merge into the next lane, and I am forced to slow down for safety.
Stick shiftin since '77
theholycow wrote:Why in the world would you even want to be as smooth as an automatic? Might as well just drive an automatic...
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Squint wrote:As someone who wasn't alive in the 1970s, did they really take years to decide about square headlights? I grew up seeing cars from the 80s and 90s, so square headlights were all I saw :lol: :lol:
Part of the reason for staying with round headlights was for interchangeability and availability. You could go to any gas station in the middle of nowhere and get an inexpensive replacement headlight if yours was broken or burnt out. They only had to carry 6 part numbers - 3 for 12-volt and 3 for 6-volt.

One of the reasons the auto companies gave for wanting rectangular headlamps was that their use would allow lower hoodlines, for aerodynamic improvements. Then, when given permission, a popular usage was stacked rectangular bulbs, which did NOT help reduce hoodline height.

Speaking of Volts, when I worked for the army, they discovered that high-voltage incandescent lamp filaments broke more easily when driving over rough terrain. They made adapters for trailers that stepped the voltage down to 12 volts (military often uses 24-volt electrical systems). I wonder if anyone noticed a decrease in bulb longevity when civilian vehicles switched from 6-Volt to 12-Volt systems.
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"