Autonomous cruise control

Off-topic posts, quotes of the day and anything else you just would like to vent to the world. PG-13 or below PLEASE!
Shadow
Master Standardshifter

Re: Autonomous cruise control

Post by Shadow »

ClutchFork wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 1:20 pm
Shadow wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:23 am I've said this before and I'll say it again---I think it would be a riot to DRIVE a car in a sea of autonomous vehicles. Why? Well, they will always try their best to avoid a collision with another vehicle. And think about how much fun you could have in a situation like that. Gotta love robot cars....
Hee hee, I already can do that in my clapped-out, beater Chevy S10 pickup. Everybody in their shiny lease vehicles can see that the S10 does not care if it needs a few more Gorilla Tape bandages applied, so they steer clear of me. I can pretty much nose my way into a line of traffic with ease. :lol:
The big difference is that an autonomous car isn't going to go all road rage on you the way a human driver can when you piss him off. Autonomous cars will just make room for you at all costs, no matter how much of an asshat you're being on the road. Human drivers? Not so much...
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Wow, the "Autopilot" veered toward that same section of lane divider previously and yet the driver still didn't monitor it actively the day he got killed.

He was literally "Playing Games with his Life".

https://europe.autonews.com/automakers/ ... 0-readmore
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

SAE UPDATES ITS LEVELS OF AUTONOMY - Autoline Daily

Since its introduction in 2014, the SAE’s Levels of Driving Automation or what’s officially called SAE J3016, have become the industry standard for categorizing different automated systems. The levels range from no driving automation at Level 0 to full driving automation at Level 5. But the technology has evolved since then so the SAE updated its Levels to include new terms along with refinement and clarification to clear up misconceptions. Some of the notable updates include more clarity on the differences between Level 3 and Level 4, including the role of the fallback-ready user, the possibility of some automated fallback at Level 3 and the possibility of some alerts to in-vehicle users at Level 4. Level 1 and Level 2 are now referred to as “Driver Support Systems” while Level 3 through 5 are called “Automated Driving Systems.” And if you want to check out all the changes just click the link in the transcript or description box.

https://www.sae.org/standards/content/j3016_202104/
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2008 Fusion 2.3L manual

Post by ClutchFork »

Should Manual Driving be (Eventually) Outlawed? And in this case manual driving means driving any car that is not self-driving, not just a manual transmission.
https://link.springer.com/article/10.10 ... 20-00190-9

Abstract
In recent years, tech evangelists have made headlines predicting that in the future manual driving will be outlawed. This essay will investigate the question whether a ban of human driven cars can be defended on moral grounds in a future scenario in which autonomous cars are going to be significantly safer than manually driven cars. This article will argue that in such a future scenario manually driven cars, for moral reasons, indeed should be banned from participating in regular traffic. Since the moral argument for outlawing manually driven cars will likely be met by resistance by car-aficionados, in the final part of the paper, we are devising a proposal for reconciling the strong moral case for a ban of manually driven cars with the widespread fondness of manual driving.
Stick shiftin since '77
theholycow wrote:Why in the world would you even want to be as smooth as an automatic? Might as well just drive an automatic...
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

ClutchFork wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 10:42 pm Should Manual Driving be (Eventually) Outlawed? And in this case manual driving means driving any car that is not self-driving, not just a manual transmission.

Abstract
In recent years, tech evangelists have made headlines predicting that in the future manual driving will be outlawed. This essay will investigate the question whether a ban of human driven cars can be defended on moral grounds in a future scenario in which autonomous cars are going to be significantly safer than manually driven cars. This article will argue that in such a future scenario manually driven cars, for moral reasons, indeed should be banned from participating in regular traffic. Since the moral argument for outlawing manually driven cars will likely be met by resistance by car-aficionados, in the final part of the paper, we are devising a proposal for reconciling the strong moral case for a ban of manually driven cars with the widespread fondness of manual driving.
Yanno, maybe for the Non-Amish, an autonomous vehicle could be statistically safer transportation, but has anyone looked to see if Amish drivers tend to pay more attention to their driving duties and maybe this shows up as reduced accidents, injuries, and deaths per mile driven?
IMBoring25

Post by IMBoring25 »

That's a long way away. The levels of autonomy build on each other, but they don't get easier as you go...They get harder. The "Level 3" S-Class Mercedes is about to introduce has a way to handle the situation if the driver doesn't take over when they're told it's time. It stops. In the traffic lane. That shouldn't be acceptable.

Sensor degradation...Rain, sleet, hail, snow, bug guts. Low-traction situations, leaves, hydroplaning, ice. "You can't go to the hospital right now, it's raining..." Yeah...
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2008 Fusion 2.3L manual

Post by ClutchFork »

Rope-Pusher wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 3:38 pm
ClutchFork wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 10:42 pm Should Manual Driving be (Eventually) Outlawed? And in this case manual driving means driving any car that is not self-driving, not just a manual transmission.

Abstract
Yanno, maybe for the Non-Amish, an autonomous vehicle could be statistically safer transportation, but has anyone looked to see if Amish drivers tend to pay more attention to their driving duties and maybe this shows up as reduced accidents, injuries, and deaths per mile driven?
"Though research on the safety of manual transmissions is scant, one study on the driving performance of teenage boys with A.D.H.D. revealed that cars with manual transmissions resulted in safer, more attentive driving than automatics. This suggests that the cure for our attentional voids might be less technology, not more."
https://transportationvoice.com/forget- ... ick-shift/
Stick shiftin since '77
theholycow wrote:Why in the world would you even want to be as smooth as an automatic? Might as well just drive an automatic...
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

you guys probably won't like this, but i've been having a grand old time using the adaptive cruise control on my new (to me) car. the car doesn't have the lane keep assist nannies to steer for me (it does have lane departure warning though), so i still have to steer. the having to steer keeps me paying enough attention so far, and i feel more relaxed driving.
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
IMBoring25

Post by IMBoring25 »

I don't care for it because it annoys me at best and I find it dangerous at worst. By its design, it can't take a holistic view of the traffic situation, and it very seldom does what I want.

Coming up on somebody slower in my lane, its approach is to maintain speed up to its set following distance and slow to match their speed. My approach depends on the rest of the traffic situation. If there's an opening, I change lanes and pass with no or minimum amount of deceleration. If I see an opening coming, I may maintain speed to a following distance closer than I would normally use so I don't have to slow down and re-accelerate when the time comes to move left. If an opening does not seem to be presenting itself, I tend to slow down earlier and use an especially generous following distance so I then have room to accelerate in preparation to move left when an opportunity presents itself, or space cushion in case traffic up ahead stops and traffic behind doesn't while I am following. There are situations where I handle it close to the way the adaptive cruise does, but they are rare.

Getting cut off by somebody closer than the following interval or with a decreasing interval, its approach is to immediately jam on the brakes. I consider that dangerous unless it's absolutely necessary. I tend to use some of the interval that's there to decelerate more gradually and avoid causing a chain reaction behind me, and if they're obviously making another lane change immediately I may do nothing at all.

In heavier traffic, it tries to maintain a constant interval. I have a minimum safe interval and a maximum interval that won't get me repeatedly cut off, and try to alter my speed the least amount possible that keeps me between those two intervals.

Similarly, the automatic emergency braking has ONLY activated for me in two situations...When the car in front of me is turning right and will be clear before I get there, and at SPUIs when opposing left turns have wide sweeping arcs that, yes, look terrifying if you don't have the context that both vehicles will continue turning left. In both of those situations, braking is grossly inappropriate and dangerous.

I had a truck throw a wheelbarrow at me once. I slowed aggressively and straddled the line until I figured out which way it was going to bounce and then went around it. I have no idea how the nannies would have reacted.
IMBoring25

Post by IMBoring25 »

As I've pondered on that diatribe, adaptive cruise must be making the "wolf pack" phenomenon drivers' ed talked about worse. I recently had a business trip to California, and it was especially noticeable there that I'd come up on a clot of slow-moving traffic, and if I was assertive enough to pick my way through it, it would feel almost like I had the road to myself for a very long time before happening on the next one. Faster and safer, win-win.
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

it's definitely not fool-proof, but my system, despite being an early version of my carmaker's adaptive cruise control system, seems to be very smart overall. you still have to pay attention to make sure you're not about to get cut-off or have a deer ram into the car, but it works well under normal conditions. does it drive the car like i would? usually not, but i'm starting to get used to how it works. what you say about the vehicle spacing and emergency braking is true to an extent, at least on my car, but it works well for most of my normal commute, especially at night.
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
potownrob
Master Standardshifter

Post by potownrob »

Shadow wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:25 am
ClutchFork wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 1:20 pm
Shadow wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:23 am I've said this before and I'll say it again---I think it would be a riot to DRIVE a car in a sea of autonomous vehicles. Why? Well, they will always try their best to avoid a collision with another vehicle. And think about how much fun you could have in a situation like that. Gotta love robot cars....
Hee hee, I already can do that in my clapped-out, beater Chevy S10 pickup. Everybody in their shiny lease vehicles can see that the S10 does not care if it needs a few more Gorilla Tape bandages applied, so they steer clear of me. I can pretty much nose my way into a line of traffic with ease. :lol:
The big difference is that an autonomous car isn't going to go all road rage on you the way a human driver can when you piss him off. Autonomous cars will just make room for you at all costs, no matter how much of an asshat you're being on the road. Human drivers? Not so much...
YASS!! EYE did notice this with the adaptive cruise. There have been at least a couple of times I was disappointed in how nicely my car treated the car and driver who pulled out in front of me. Then I realized there was no real use in tailgating them anyway. :| :arrow: 8)
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Mercedes hopes to roll out Level 3 self-driving in U.S. this year, CEO says

If the car ahead of you is turned sideways like that, you really ought to "keep your eyes on the road, your hand upon the wheel", Jim Morrison says.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

I SEE MYSELF USING THAT ALL THE TIME!

MERCEDES FIRST TO GET SAE L3 APPROVAL - Autoline Daily
Mercedes is the first and only automaker to receive SAE Level 3 certification for its DRIVE PILOT system in the U.S. When active it allows the driver to take their hands off the wheel and do other things. For example, apps can be opened in the infotainment screen that otherwise aren’t available while driving. But there are some limitations. Its certification is currently only for the state of Nevada and DRIVE PILOT will only work on certain sections of freeway at speeds up to 40 MPH. The system will also only be available on the S-Class and EQS to start with and those won’t be delivered until sometime in the second half of this year. But Mercedes says it’s filed the paperwork in California and hopes to get certification there sometime this year as well.

https://group-media.mercedes-benz.com/m ... zMA!!&rs=0