The Highway Slalom

Off-topic posts, quotes of the day and anything else you just would like to vent to the world. PG-13 or below PLEASE!
zenfiz6
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2011 Audi A4 6MT

The Highway Slalom

Post by zenfiz6 »

So, I just drove from VA to KY to IL and back over the last week to visit family and friends.

I noticed that, when I change lanes (to pass the slowpokes), I try to avoid running over the cat's eyes.

Anyone else do that? It's kinda hard to do it smoothly above 80 MPH :wink:

(And doing 100 MPH down 7% grades in WV around 60 MPH-rated bends was pretty fun in the Audi :twisted: )
2013 -- Present: 2011 Audi A4 6MT (45k---???)
2001 -- 2013 .... 1999 Honda Accord AT (RIP 239k)
1999 -- 2005 .... 1987 Acura Legend 5MT (RIP 174k)
IMBoring25

Re: The Highway Slalom

Post by IMBoring25 »

Absolutely. Good reason to on a bike. I'll also shoot the gap between pavement markings in certain situations. The ones that are basically like plastic can be slick.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

zenfiz6 wrote:So, I just drove from VA to KY to IL and back over the last week to visit family and friends.

I noticed that, when I change lanes (to pass the slowpokes), I try to avoid running over the cat's eyes.

Anyone else do that?
I'm not so good at it.
Me: Hey neighbor, I'm sorry, but I think I ran over your cat.
Neighbor: What did it look like?

Me:Image
Neighbor: No, what did it look like before you hit it?
Me: Image
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Post by tankinbeans »

Cat's eyes?
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
IMBoring25

Post by IMBoring25 »

New term for me too...Must be the reflectors partially buried in the pavement.
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2008 Fusion 2.3L manual

Post by ClutchFork »

Stick shiftin since '77
theholycow wrote:Why in the world would you even want to be as smooth as an automatic? Might as well just drive an automatic...
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Post by AHTOXA »

In Texas, we have raised pancake lane markings. Since we don't use plows here, they aren't in danger of being torn off. I usually try to change lanes between then, because I don't like hitting them hard. They are pretty annoying.

They are called Bott's Dots (in white)

At 3/4" tall, you can see why I hate running over them.

Also, OP, I agree with you on the WV mountain roads. We at SS here have had, what, 5 annual meets in WV and we've tore up plenty of mountain twisties around there.
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Post by tankinbeans »

Well, after seeing what they are, I'm not surprised I've never heard of them. They'd get torn off in short order by snowplows and other such winter paraphernalia.

For those of you with experience driving around these and lines I ask which is better for visibility? At night and in rain I find it difficult to figure out where the lines are.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
Squint
Master Standardshifter

Post by Squint »

tankinbeans wrote:Well, after seeing what they are, I'm not surprised I've never heard of them. They'd get torn off in short order by snowplows and other such winter paraphernalia.

For those of you with experience driving around these and lines I ask which is better for visibility? At night and in rain I find it difficult to figure out where the lines are.
Personally, I prefer the road reflectors/cat's eyes over the little bumps. That could be partially because Kentucky has far more of the former than the latter, but they help more at night/low visibility than the bumps.
'15 Mazda 3 iSport Hatch 6MT
'11 Ford Fiesta Hatchback SE 5MT
'14 Giant Escape City 24MT
'97 Honda Civic EX 4AT - Retired @ 184,001 mi

For Pony!
zenfiz6
Senior Standardshifter

Post by zenfiz6 »

Squint wrote:
tankinbeans wrote:Well, after seeing what they are, I'm not surprised I've never heard of them. They'd get torn off in short order by snowplows and other such winter paraphernalia.

Personally, I prefer the road reflectors/cat's eyes over the little bumps. That could be partially because Kentucky has far more of the former than the latter, but they help more at night/low visibility than the bumps.
I also prefer the reflectors. But, tankinbeans, the ones I've seen on the tollways in Chicago usually have little metal side-plates which tend to save them from getting ripped off the road. Something like this:

AHTOXA: You'll have to let me know the next time you guys head to WV. :wink:
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

zenfiz6 wrote: AHTOXA: You'll have to let me know the next time you guys head to WV. :wink:
WV might be several hours too far of a drive for Tony and some others but, if we get a bunch of people to go, he might just make the trek. Plus, it's going to be cooler there than further south... :twisted: :)

(Tony making his famous egg pie, circa 2011)
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter

Post by AHTOXA »

Oh man, that was the last year for our annual trip. I moved to Texas that year. Good memories, good memories.

Yeah, I would definitely consider making the long drive from TX to WV, if the turnout is good. It'll have to be for a week or so, as the drive is too long to justify staying any less time. I'm always up for a trip, any time of year. I'm even down for cold weather camping down there - my dog would love it, too.
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
zenfiz6
Senior Standardshifter

Post by zenfiz6 »

potownrob wrote:
zenfiz6 wrote: AHTOXA: You'll have to let me know the next time you guys head to WV. :wink:
WV might be several hours too far of a drive for Tony and some others but, if we get a bunch of people to go, he might just make the trek. Plus, it's going to be cooler there than further south... :twisted: :)
Well, ya gotta give me a bit. Family issues have made this year a bit heavy on travel (and, therefore, on vacation time and savings account). Next year might be better for us. The question is, do we take the Audi or the Boxster? 8)
potownrob wrote: Image
(Tony making his famous egg pie, circa 2011)
Egg pie? Hmmm... I wonder if I could make a Chicago Stuffed 'Za campground style...

I notice the pic must be old if Antoxa is brandishing an IL plate :D
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter

Post by AHTOXA »

IL plates and no beard. Image

Oh, and I still have that little Weber grill. I've had it for at least 10 years and I love that little thing. Lately I've been doing much more solitary camping and backpacking, so it's not been used in a while.
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650