Seams Tummy Eye Dew Recall.....

Off-topic posts, quotes of the day and anything else you just would like to vent to the world. PG-13 or below PLEASE!
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Re: Seams Tummy Eye Dew Recall.....

Post by theholycow »

watkins wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:05 amOn top of that, its far more reliable than a cable parking brake since it is self-adjusting and applies far more pressure.
Well ok, I've finally seen a GOOD argument in favor of the electric parking brake. I still prefer the old fashioned one, but now I can at least appreciate something about the newfangled gimmick.
As for rotary shifters: They aren't a problem if you're at all competent and focusing on operating a vehicle as you should be. If someone can't handle it, chances are good they shouldn't be driving anyway.
Your faith in humanity is miscalibrated...but either way, here in the real world the road is chock full of drivers who shouldn't be driving, and almost every one of them drives an automatic.
The only issues with rotary shifters are placement and tactile feedback. They work best if isolated from other controls and when they are clearly a different feel than other knobs.
Indeed, that can help mitigate the wrong knob issue.
Since they're electric, they don't allow for stupidity shifts, which does help as well. The car won't attempt to shift in to reverse when it knows it's already moving forward too fast for it to be safe.
So now not only is it a gratuitously nonstandard interface, but it's also disobedient (because it thinks it's smarter than me)? No thanks. I'd rather it make its best attempt to execute my command even when I've given a seemingly nonsensical command. That kind of crap is one of my biggest irritants in gratuitously electronic interfaces. Sometimes I need to do something crazy. Sometimes I need to pay for my mistakes. Sometimes I just want to know I could.
They're also far superior to column mounted shifters. Ive never once experienced a column shifter with decent feedback. Most are sloppy and easily let you end up between gears.
I have used excellently crisp, intuitive ones and super sloppy, vague ones.

The column shifted TH350 slushbox that came in my 1980 Buick was supremely excellent, and it was my only regret about converting. It guided you directly to whichever selection you wanted, as if it could read your mind, and felt superbly wonderful while it did so. I've rarely, if ever, felt any kind of interface for any machine that has such perfection in its tactile feedback. The only thing I can think of that comes close is my parents' Onkyo stereo from the 1970s, which has super-silky super-heavy friction-free knobs and the most perfect latching button switches ever.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2008 Fusion 2.3L manual

Post by ClutchFork »

Speaking of parking brakes, back in the day when I had my '77 F100 the parking brake stopped working. The engine had some kind of compression leak too because I would park in the driveway, which had maybe a 10-15 degree incline, and by morning my truck would be at the bottom of the driveway where it flattens out. So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
Stick shiftin since '77
theholycow wrote:Why in the world would you even want to be as smooth as an automatic? Might as well just drive an automatic...
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Tie a rope onto the 100% all-natural parking brake (use all-natural rope) and when you get in the driver's seat, you can move the vehicle off the parking brake and then tug on the rope to pull the parking brake back inside with you, so you always have one for the next time you park on a grade.
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

EXTRA! EXTRA! MERCEDES POOP DOES STINK! - DETAILS AT THE LINK.
https://canada.autonews.com/automakers/ ... 2-headline
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Extra! Extra! BMW Poop stinkt - Details im LinK

https://www.autonews.com/regulation-saf ... gine-fires
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter

Post by ClutchFork »

Rope-Pusher wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:42 pm Tie a rope onto the 100% all-natural parking brake (use all-natural rope) and when you get in the driver's seat, you can move the vehicle off the parking brake and then tug on the rope to pull the parking brake back inside with you, so you always have one for the next time you park on a grade.
Or have a hook on the rope, put the hook into a hole in the wheel, then cinch the rope up tight to the tie down in the bed and it ought not let the wheel go round, eh?
Stick shiftin since '77
theholycow wrote:Why in the world would you even want to be as smooth as an automatic? Might as well just drive an automatic...
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

ClutchFork wrote: Sat Dec 29, 2018 11:40 pm
Rope-Pusher wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:42 pm Tie a rope onto the 100% all-natural parking brake (use all-natural rope) and when you get in the driver's seat, you can move the vehicle off the parking brake and then tug on the rope to pull the parking brake back inside with you, so you always have one for the next time you park on a grade.
Or have a hook on the rope, put the hook into a hole in the wheel, then cinch the rope up tight to the tie down in the bed and it ought not let the wheel go round, eh?
That'd work too, but maybe harder to disconnect while seated behind the wheel.
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter

Post by ClutchFork »

Rope-Pusher wrote: Sun Dec 30, 2018 12:05 am
ClutchFork wrote: Sat Dec 29, 2018 11:40 pm
That'd work too, but maybe harder to disconnect while seated behind the wheel.
But if you have the right size rope and enough power you can torque out of it. Of course you will have to replace the rope each time, but it would be fun. Just have to be sure nobody is standing next to the truck when I do it.
Stick shiftin since '77
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

NHTSA Orders Tesla Recall

...ok, so maybe it was NASA, not NHTSA, but it was definately Elon Musk's baby.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-48001382
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ev8SibkJhNg[/youtube]

I Spooled Around and Fell Down Dead

HYUNDAI ISSUES RECALL OVER EXPLODING SEAT BELT PART Autoline Daily
We usually don’t cover vehicle recalls because they’re so frequent, literally several times a week. But here’s one that’s so unusual that we decided to report on it. Hyundai is recalling 281,000 Elantras and Accents in the U.S. and Canada because the seat belt pretensioner can explode. Three people have already been injured, two in the US and one in Singapore. The pretensioner uses a small pyrotechnic device to drive a spool that quickly pulls in all the slack in the belt the instant a collision occurs. But in this case, the pretensioner doesn’t just drive the spool, it explodes and can send shrapnel flying in the passenger cabin. Hyundai also had a recall for the same problem with the Venue and Genesis GV70 and GV80.

https://www.reuters.com/business/autos- ... 022-05-24/
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Bucking Broncos!
NEW FORD BRONCO COULD FACE RECALL - Autoline Daily
Ford is really struggling with warranty and recall issues and now the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration announced it’s investigating the Ford Bronco due to, and I quote, “catastrophic engine failures.” NHTSA says it received 32 complaints about vehicles losing power without warning at highway speeds and not being able to restart them because of a faulty valve in the 2.7L EcoBoost engine. More than 25,000 Broncos may be affected and NHTSA’s investigation will determine if Ford has to recall all those vehicles.

https://www.freep.com/story/money/cars/ ... 512077001/
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Nissan Stops Sale of Automatic Z Cars - Autoweek

The Nissan stop-sale on automatic-equipped Z cars won't affect manual-equipped models.
The situation appears similar to the current recall on nine-speed-equipped Nissan Frontier and Nissan Titan trucks.
Nissan doesn't have a solution to the automatic's problem at this time.

This stoppage is limited to the Jatco nine-speed transmission-equipped cars. This stop-sale follows a similar issue found on Titan and Frontier trucks, which also use the nine-speed automatic. The problem with Nissan’s pickup trucks that spurred a massive recall is that an internal problem with the transmission can prevent the parking pawl from engaging, which could lead to a runaway condition.

https://www.autoweek.com/news/sports-ca ... %20Openers
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

Rope-Pusher wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 12:32 pm Nissan Stops Sale of Automatic Z Cars - Autoweek
[...]
Jatco
[...]
end hier eye fought day whirr use zing some won else sis auto tragic Geer Bachs end ahl wuss well verse sis their chaotic CVT whirled. sill lee me... :(
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Prolly every kinda slushbox has a parking pawl, or something that similarly functions to secure the transmission output shaft from rotating when the vehicle is parked. Even gearboxes on BEVs need to keep the vehicle from rolling when parked. Back before Parking Pawls, there was often a mechanically-operated drum brake mounted outside the transmission tailshaft housing to serve in this function by preventing the driveshaft from rotating.
Back when "The Company Formerly Known as Chrysler" had push-button transmission selectors, they started to use parking pawls with their own special lever on the transmission and a cable to operate it that connected to a small "Park" handle next to the pushbuttons.
Later, when pushbutton shifting was discontinued, the parking pawl operation was controlled by the Rooster Comb inside the transmission that rotated when the shift cable pulled or pushed on the selecter lever.

And here we are, in the 21st century, with "Shift-by-Wire" slushboxes and there is still a parking pawl inside the transmission, but it is controlled by an electric signal to a hydraulic actuator. Problem is, when the engine isn't running you can't disengage the parking pawl. That's why many vehicles use a "Manual Park-Release" (MPR) lever, with a control cable leading to a somewhat hidden handle to to be used only in emergency situations, like after a collision, or when the engine cannot be made to run. It's really not unlike the park release system used with the pushbutton-shift systems, except a tool is required to access / operate the handle.
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

Rope-Pusher wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 11:55 am Prolly every kinda slushbox has a parking pawl, or something that similarly functions to secure the transmission output shaft from rotating when the vehicle is parked. Even gearboxes on BEVs need to keep the vehicle from rolling when parked. Back before Parking Pawls, there was often a mechanically-operated drum brake mounted outside the transmission tailshaft housing to serve in this function by preventing the driveshaft from rotating.
Back when "The Company Formerly Known as Chrysler" had push-button transmission selectors, they started to use parking pawls with their own special lever on the transmission and a cable to operate it that connected to a small "Park" handle next to the pushbuttons.
Later, when pushbutton shifting was discontinued, the parking pawl operation was controlled by the Rooster Comb inside the transmission that rotated when the shift cable pulled or pushed on the selecter lever.

And here we are, in the 21st century, with "Shift-by-Wire" slushboxes and there is still a parking pawl inside the transmission, but it is controlled by an electric signal to a hydraulic actuator. Problem is, when the engine isn't running you can't disengage the parking pawl. That's why many vehicles use a "Manual Park-Release" (MPR) lever, with a control cable leading to a somewhat hidden handle to to be used only in emergency situations, like after a collision, or when the engine cannot be made to run. It's really not unlike the park release system used with the pushbutton-shift systems, except a tool is required to access / operate the handle.
when my sister got her '18 accord high brid, they (at the dealer) told her to set the (electronic) parking brake when she parked, since the parking pawl supposedly is knot as strong as on conventional automatics. she never used the parking brake before that, that eye no off at leased.
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.