Are you a standardshift old timer?

Off-topic posts, quotes of the day and anything else you just would like to vent to the world. PG-13 or below PLEASE!
SonicHKS
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2012 Chevy Sonic Turbo

Re: Are you a standardshift old timer?

Post by SonicHKS »

AHTOXA wrote:As I'm sitting here on my day off, casually engaging with some work activities I wanted to follow up before the weekend, I got to thinking. That's dangerous, I know.

I have spent a lot of time on this forum. I imagine that if I were to count up all the hours I've spent on here, I'd come up with a number I'd be surprised about. I read just about everything posted here, and like to think that I know a few members on here personally. Many of you I've met in person and on multiple occasions. I've shared a lot of real-life time with some of the folks, doing a lot of spirited driving, drinking beers and pooping in the river. We have shared meals, laughs and a surprisingly large number of common interests. Some of you have welcomed me into your homes, which I appreciate.

Over the years that I've been here, many things have changed on the personal front, and just about every one of them was for the better. I've gone through numerous cars, lived in different states, held about 3 different jobs. I've advanced my career, realized my passions and shared joys and frustrations here. I have asked questions, given advice and molested Watkins' mother more times than I can count. The reason I have stuck around and will continue to do so is because people on this forum are fair, honest and welcoming; people here have integrity and uphold values. I've seen very little negative attitude over the years as a whole, and that makes it worthwhile coming back, as well as the experience and knowledge people share on here, and not just about cars and manual transmissions.

That said, it's not about the old-times on here, not really. We've seen some old timers go and we've seen great new members come. The new members that come are the ones that are really continuing to contribute to the positives of the folks here.
All my interactions with you have been the exact opposite of pretty much everything in this post. And not for lack of trying, I haven't always been an ass on here. But when I've "shared my joys and frustrations" here I've gotten a load of shit on numerous occasions. These days I'm just here to stir the shit, my days of coming here for friendly attitudes and companionship have long since passed.

Probably why I'm not on here much anymore :lol:. By the way, I've been here almost 2 years longer than you, Tony.
tobigooddog2
Junior Standardshifter

Post by tobigooddog2 »

hello hello! I'm just passing by, remembered this old place. Weather's getting nicer so time to do some car work, replace springs and such. I used to be here around 2006/7 when I bought my eclipse/1st manual car without ever before actually driving a manual. I wanted to thank all of you who were around at the time to teach me how to drive, and also apologize for being mean to some :) because I was kinda crazy back then. Will always have a soft spot for the forum and its members. All the best.
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

tobigooddog2 wrote:hello hello! I'm just passing by, remembered this old place. Weather's getting nicer so time to do some car work, replace springs and such. I used to be here around 2006/7 when I bought my eclipse/1st manual car without ever before actually driving a manual. I wanted to thank all of you who were around at the time to teach me how to drive, and also apologize for being mean to some :) because I was kinda crazy back then. Will always have a soft spot for the forum and its members. All the best.
welcome back tobigooddog. i don't remember specific posts of yours but i remember seeing you on here and i think a pic of you with a dog, IIRC. oh and you're welcome :) .
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

tobigooddog2 wrote:also apologize for being mean to some :) because I was kinda crazy back then.
Personal growth. It's a good thing.

I too would like to apologize for offenses of my past. I wasn't mean, at least I think I wasn't (except certain instances), but I sure did come on strong and I was also obnoxious and way too verbose.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
Squint
Master Standardshifter

Post by Squint »

theholycow wrote:... and way too verbose.
I've learned from my in-laws farm that cows are not quiet creatures.

In fact, quite the opposite. So you are just blending in well. :lol: :lol:
'15 Mazda 3 iSport Hatch 6MT
'11 Ford Fiesta Hatchback SE 5MT
'14 Giant Escape City 24MT
'97 Honda Civic EX 4AT - Retired @ 184,001 mi

For Pony!
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Post by tankinbeans »

They barf up the same food multiple times to ensure it digests properly. Cow is making sure we know what's what.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
theholycow
Master Standardshifter

Post by theholycow »

That's actually a good description of the excess verbosity that I've learned to quell. I'd think of a million different ways to say something, each carrying a slight additional bit of meaning or explaining it in a different way for different people, but it ended up being the same stuff regurgitated and re-ruminated.

Squint
Master Standardshifter

Post by Squint »

So it was kind of like this, moofasa?

I just wanted to post this picture. It amuses me.

For Pony!
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Post by AHTOXA »

I don't think any of the regular members on here need to apologize for anything. What's been done, whether right, wrong or indifferent, is what makes the person who they are today. If the negative attitudes of the past have contributed to the ultimate personal growth and reform, then there's no need for an apology.
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Squint wrote:Yakety-Yak!
(Don't talk back!)

I just wanted to post this picture. It amuses me.
Fickset
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
cwat89
Junior Standardshifter

Post by cwat89 »

I'm a new timer here on the forum but not to stick shifting. This forum is by far the best I have ever joined! I plan on "sticking" around for good! (Yes, pun was intended) :lol:
1988 Chevy S10 M5
I will never get rid of this truck!

2006 Chevy Silverado LT3 A4
Squint
Master Standardshifter

Post by Squint »

cwat89 wrote:I plan on "sticking" around for good! (Yes, pun was intended) :lol:
.... GROOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAN ...

Dad-jokes ftw! :lol: :lol:

Why did the band director get struck by lightning?

He was a good conductor! :lol: :lol: :lol:

For Pony!
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Post by tankinbeans »

So's your face.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
theholycow
Master Standardshifter

Post by theholycow »

tankinbeans wrote:So's your face.
At least it's not this face:

ColJessip