If clutch wear were not a concern?

Off-topic posts, quotes of the day and anything else you just would like to vent to the world. PG-13 or below PLEASE!
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2008 Fusion 2.3L manual

Re: If clutch wear were not a concern?

Post by ClutchFork »

Well, I guess I never thought WOT runs were a problem for engine wear provided the engine is well warmed up and you don't exceed redline. Redline is a grey area as there is one engine speed at which the engine will most likely blow if you get there for 1 second, that will be well above the redline on your tach. If you hook your engine up to run a generator and want to run it for hours at a time, then redline would be a lot lower than indicated on your tach. Redline is relative to time. So yeah, WOT runs are fine if you don't exceed redline and you don't hold it at high rpm a long time (like running along on the expressway at 70 mph in 2nd gear :lol: ). So in my opinion, unless your engine model/brand is known to be prone to fall apart or has known weaknesses, I don't see why you can't WOT it all you please.
Stick shiftin since '77
theholycow wrote:Why in the world would you even want to be as smooth as an automatic? Might as well just drive an automatic...