Any watch guys in here?

Off-topic posts, quotes of the day and anything else you just would like to vent to the world. PG-13 or below PLEASE!
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Any watch guys in here?

Post by AHTOXA »

I just upgraded to a new daily watch. I don't own any dress watches or fancy watches because I believe that a watch should be a tool rather than a piece of jewelry. I like tough functional watches that I can use and abuse daily and not worry about any damage.

For the past 2 years I have been wearing my trusty Rescue Series G Shock. I use the stopwatch and timer functions daily whether on walks or bike rides or even as cooking timers and alarms. The watch only leaves my wrist during showering as I sleep with it as well. It has held up so exceptionally well that after being smashed into rocks when I take a tumble off the bike or slammed into door frames, drooled on by dog, exposed to sand and lots of shock when riding, this watch has zero blemishes on the crystal. The outer case is very durable and has no gouges or scratches, it is however polished shiny from years of rough use.

Today I upgraded to the G Shock Mudman. It offers the usually 200 m water resistance and shock resistance while improving heavy mud and dirt resistance. While my Rescue never suffered after heavy dirt exposure, the Mudman provides additional protection.

On top of being powered by a rechargeable solar powered battery (along many other functions, like my Rescue) it offers a Digital Compass and a Thermometer. Ideally I would have preferred a barometer but I would have had to shell out an extra 100 for the Casio Pathfinder series. Gain vs Cost wasn't worth it.

All in all, this watch is a tech powerhouse and I bought it for extended element protection as well as the compass feature to be used on my frequent hiking adventures.

Here is old and new. The watch on my wrist is the new Mudman (positive display) and the watch I am holding is the Rescue (negative display).

'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2008 Fusion 2.3L manual

Re: Any watch guys in here?

Post by ClutchFork »

No,watches don't last long for me and the bands tend to get bad things growing under them in the summer. If I did do a watch it would be an old-fashioned analog face, pocket watch preferred.
Stick shiftin since '77
theholycow wrote:Why in the world would you even want to be as smooth as an automatic? Might as well just drive an automatic...
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

I have a Casio Forester, analog face w/digital Month, Date and Day, stopwatch, alarm, two time zones - about the same features as any watch I've had in the last 30 years - except that the illumination of the face is superior to that of all my previous watches, it's water resistant deeper than I shall ever swim and it has numerals on the face, Arabic numerals. My last several Seikos had no numerals on the analog face. In the daytime, I have no need for the numerals, but at night, when it is not always apparent what angle the watch is oriented at, numerals are nice to have, especially when the whole face of the watch appears to be backlit. Basically, an inexpensive, but reliable watch that has all the functions I deem necessary.

Yes, I've been places with no opportunity to recharge my phone and no signal to keep it out of roaming mode and I find it handy to have a dedicated timepiece on my wrist that I can glance at no-handedly.
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
six
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2015 Chevrolet SS 6MT

Post by six »

I'm a watch guy, but I'm the analog chronograph kind of guy, so no digital for me.
2015 Heron White Chevrolet SS Sedan 6MT
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter

Post by AHTOXA »

Digital watches aren't for everyone, primarily due to the "cheap" image they throw off, even though there's nothing cheap about the nicer outdoor digital watches. Surprisingly, there are a lot of G-Shack aficionados out there who spend some serious money on the - that's not for me either.

I could care less. Durability, function, then form.
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
4onthefloor
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 WRX, '07 Impreza

Post by 4onthefloor »

My old Swiss Army watch stopped working last year so I went out and bought one of these as a Christmas gift to myself:

I work in business so it fits with the suit and tie look.
Two pedals, two feet, too easy.

Car: 2007 Impreza 2.5i Special Edition
http://www.standardshift.com/forum/view ... 32&t=13230
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter

Post by AHTOXA »

I like it. I've always liked an Omega Seamaster, which looks similar. However, I can't afford to spend $3200 on a watch. I find it unreasonable, even if I made twice what I make now. Nicer Omegas and Seikos are about as far as I go for liking a dress watch and they aren't even considered dress watches.

'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
4onthefloor
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 WRX, '07 Impreza

Post by 4onthefloor »

It was more than I wanted to spend on a watch (what can I say, I'm cheap) but is not even remotely expensive as far as watches are concerned.
Two pedals, two feet, too easy.

Car: 2007 Impreza 2.5i Special Edition
http://www.standardshift.com/forum/view ... 32&t=13230
ClutchDisc
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2009 Mazda 5 2.3L 5MT

Post by ClutchDisc »

Not a watch guy here at all. I just use my cell phone.
09 Mazda 5 2.3 5-speed manual 171k
11 Subaru Forester auto :( 113k
92 Ford Mustang LX 5.0 5-speed manual 151k
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

ClutchDisc wrote:Not a watch guy here at all. I just use my cell phone.
Image It's the modern pocket watch.

I would like the convenience of having the time on my wrist but it's just too uncomfortable. There are plenty that are comfortable for other people, I just can't get comfortable with one. Before cell phones I sometimes tolerated a watch.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
Boston Fit
Senior Standardshifter

Post by Boston Fit »

I like mechanical watches as well (the kind without batteries) even though they are less accurate, less functional, and more expensive than the G-Shock shown in the original post. True, they can be exorbitantly expensive, but if purchased second-hand with a dealer's warranty (kind of like Certified Pre-Owned cars) and chosen carefully (by brand, model, etc), they can hold their value very well (unlike cars). That's not to say it's a risk-free venture or that profits are large for the amateur collector, but I've found that it's quite easy to break even and even make a small profit. But again, you need to know what you're doing.

The Omega Seamaster pictured above is a mechanical watch with an "automatic" movement that is powered by the natural motion of the wrist. It is a descendant of the so-called "Bond" Seamaster watch that was popularized by Pierce Brosnan's Bond films. It is often compared to the Rolex Submariner, which was featured in Sean Connery's Bond films. The model Brosnan wore had a different movement (referring to the mechanism inside) than the one shown, and slightly different cosmetic details, but a similar overall look. Unfortunately, it has "skeletonized" hands which make it hard to read the time from certain angles, and the rotating dive bezel (that's the outer ring with the numbers 20-30-40-50 printed on it) is hard to operate due to its "scalloped" design. But it has proven to be a stalwart model for Omega over the years.

Seiko is an interesting brand. They are best known by the public for their cheaper quartz models that are sold in department stores, but they are also well-regarded by the watch cognoscenti for their fine mechanical timepieces which can run into five figures and compete with Swiss and German brands.

Like manual transmissions, mechanical watches are hard to justify based solely on their utility in this era of feature-packed quartz watches and mobile phones. But many people still find them more interesting, aesthetically and historically.
2013 Honda Civic Si
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Post by watkins »

I used to wear watches years ago, but my phone replaced them out of convenience. Now I wouldnt wear one anyway due to my line of work.
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Post by tankinbeans »

I like watches, but won't pay much for one. I feel naked without one on my wrist. $50 is about tops for me. My last watch, a $45 Armitron from Walmart, lasted 13 years beurre the band finally failed and I couldn't get it replaced.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2008 Fusion 2.3L manual

Post by ClutchFork »

How about a watch like this (very accurate too :lol: ):
Stick shiftin since '77
theholycow wrote:Why in the world would you even want to be as smooth as an automatic? Might as well just drive an automatic...
six
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2015 Chevrolet SS 6MT

Post by six »

AHTOXA wrote:Digital watches aren't for everyone, primarily due to the "cheap" image they throw off, even though there's nothing cheap about the nicer outdoor digital watches. Surprisingly, there are a lot of G-Shack aficionados out there who spend some serious money on the - that's not for me either.

I could care less. Durability, function, then form.
Lol, G-Shack :lol:

There are metal-band G-Shocks with analog hands in addition to all the digital doodads too for those who don't like the "digital" look.
2015 Heron White Chevrolet SS Sedan 6MT