Haven't driven an automatic for a year!

Off-topic posts, quotes of the day and anything else you just would like to vent to the world. PG-13 or below PLEASE!
ClutchDisc
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2009 Mazda 5 2.3L 5MT

Haven't driven an automatic for a year!

Post by ClutchDisc »

Well guys, as of today I haven't driven an automatic for a year!!! :D :D :D I only drove an automatic for about a month, got my licence, bought the S-10 and never looked back. :mrgreen:

I have a life long goal of never driving an automatic again. :)
09 Mazda 5 2.3 5-speed manual 171k
11 Subaru Forester auto :( 113k
92 Ford Mustang LX 5.0 5-speed manual 151k
noob5,000,000
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 1986 Mazda RX-7 x2

Re: Haven't driven an automatic for a year!

Post by noob5,000,000 »

Congrats!

I'm in the opposite situation, I haven't driven a manual since... August? :cry:
1986 Mazda RX-7 sport - slowly returning to the Earth
1986 Mazda RX-7 base - Project car, ???, In pieces, turbo parts around.
94Corolla5Speed
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 1994 Corolla, 1990 Miata

Post by 94Corolla5Speed »

noob5,000,000 wrote:Congrats!

What the hell noob. This is not cool.
noob5,000,000
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 1986 Mazda RX-7 x2

Post by noob5,000,000 »

94Corolla5Speed wrote:
noob5,000,000 wrote:Congrats!

What the hell noob. This is not cool.
I know :cry: . On the up side, I have almost everything I need to get my good FC running (which is, of course, a manual).
1986 Mazda RX-7 sport - slowly returning to the Earth
1986 Mazda RX-7 base - Project car, ???, In pieces, turbo parts around.
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Post by tankinbeans »

Yayzors for having the parts you need.

I wish I could say I haven't driven an auto in a year, but I currently own 2, don't ask, and drive a couple others. My primary car is a manual though and I'm loving it. I suppose I should rename him Clifford McDonald.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
RITmusic2k
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2004 BMW 330i ZHP

Post by RITmusic2k »

Happy manuversary!
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2008 Fusion 2.3L manual

Post by ClutchFork »

Would you drive an automatic if we paid you? What if a rich neighbor who was blind or something and couldn't drive, wanted to be driven places and was willing to pay you $100 a trip for short trips around town (say 5 to 30 miles round trip), would you do it? I think it is okay as part of a job requirement, and I have had to do that on jobs before, though I try to avoid it by using my own vehicle where possible.

Ah but the sweetist job assignment I ever had was working for a city forestry department and go to cruise around town doing small trim jobs and looking at sick trees with a mid-80s Ford F350 dump truck that had a manual transmission. I also got to drive the Chevy Hi-Ranger (the cherry picker tree trim truck) which had a manual transmission.
Stick shiftin since '77
theholycow wrote:Why in the world would you even want to be as smooth as an automatic? Might as well just drive an automatic...
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Post by watkins »

I drive automatics almost every day. But then again, I am an Automotive Wellness Practitioner.
Shadow
Master Standardshifter

Post by Shadow »

InlinePaul wrote:Would you drive an automatic if we paid you? What if a rich neighbor who was blind or something and couldn't drive, wanted to be driven places and was willing to pay you $100 a trip for short trips around town (say 5 to 30 miles round trip), would you do it? I think it is okay as part of a job requirement, and I have had to do that on jobs before, though I try to avoid it by using my own vehicle where possible.

Ah but the sweetist job assignment I ever had was working for a city forestry department and go to cruise around town doing small trim jobs and looking at sick trees with a mid-80s Ford F350 dump truck that had a manual transmission. I also got to drive the Chevy Hi-Ranger (the cherry picker tree trim truck) which had a manual transmission.
You seem to have a lot of hate for automatics. As much as I love driving my manual transmission vehicles, I have no hatred of automatics. It's really no big deal to me. Driving an automatic may not be as much fun or as engaging, but I'm fine with it on occasion.....just as long as I have a three-pedaled car to drive as well.
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Post by AHTOXA »

I have found myself in very much the same boat. I'm as much of a manual enthusiast as ever, but I can't say I'd never consider an automatic vehicle. For example, I'd be perfectly fine if I were to drive around in an auto half ton truck.

I guess it all depends on a vehicle. I like my Jeeps in manual only and I like my small cars, fun cars, muscle cars in manual only as well. But there are vehicles like pickups or large SUVs that I wouldn't mind with an auto.
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2008 Fusion 2.3L manual

Post by ClutchFork »

Shadow wrote: You seem to have a lot of hate for automatics. As much as I love driving my manual transmission vehicles, I have no hatred of automatics. It's really no big deal to me. Driving an automatic may not be as much fun or as engaging, but I'm fine with it on occasion.....just as long as I have a three-pedaled car to drive as well.
General dislike, but I would not say hate. I drive automatics all the time, but it is no fun. I have always had a manual for my personal vehicle, but wife's and family vehicles are all automatics.
Stick shiftin since '77
theholycow wrote:Why in the world would you even want to be as smooth as an automatic? Might as well just drive an automatic...
Bill B
Senior Standardshifter

Post by Bill B »

I have not driven an automatic in the last 5 days. Would have been longer, but took my wifes Altima with the CVT trans out for an oil change. I know I should have changed it myself....but did not.
ClutchDisc wrote:Well guys, as of today I haven't driven an automatic for a year!!! :D :D :D I only drove an automatic for about a month, got my licence, bought the S-10 and never looked back. :mrgreen:

I have a life long goal of never driving an automatic again. :)
Bill Berckman
West Chester, Ohio
2007 Honda Element EX AWD 5 Speed MT
RITmusic2k
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2004 BMW 330i ZHP

Post by RITmusic2k »

I am so grateful to be with somebody who feels exactly the same way about transmissions I do: we have no disdain for automatics, but the idea of purchasing a vehicle without a manual is simply a thought that would never occur to us.
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

On that issue: My wife is a recent convert and both of our daily drivers are 3-pedal.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

theholycow wrote: Image
My wife is a recent convert .....
Fickset
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"