Honest Engines

Off-topic posts, quotes of the day and anything else you just would like to vent to the world. PG-13 or below PLEASE!
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Re: Honest Engines

Post by Rope-Pusher » Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:10 pm

I think that's a wise choice. I mean, adding more variety to the market. Ford can keep its Ecoboost V6s and dodge with the diesels. It will be an interesting competition.
- butt weight, the airs mower!

ECO-BOOST VS ECO-TECH3
We’ve got more information about GM’s new full-size pick-ups. The new Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra are rated at 23 miles per gallon on the highway with the new 5.3 liter V-8. That’s better than Ford’s EcoBoost V-6. In fact, Chevy now refers to its pickup engines as Eco-Tech3. The increase in mpg’s comes mainly from direct injection, cylinder deactivation and variable cam timing. Amazingly, GM achieved this improvement with a 6-speed automatic. Look for an 8-speed later that will bump these numbers even higher. Also, GM claims these trucks are 200 pounds lighter than an F-150. Best of all, the new Silverado and Sierra will start at the same price as the models they’re replacing, despite having a lot more new equipment. We’ll be reporting a lot more on these trucks as the details become available.

http://media.gm.com/media/us/en/gm/news ... ierra.html
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"

Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher » Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:08 pm

I now pronounce you i-VTEC and VCM. You may chirp the tires.

...and just like Prince Charles, Honda Accord V-6 continues on without DI

http://viewer.zmags.com/publication/b0d ... 0dd97ee/28

Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher » Thu Oct 31, 2013 7:54 pm

From Autoline Daily:
"1.0L FIESTA
Around this time last year, Ford announced that it will bring its 1.0 liter 3-cylinder powered Fiesta to the U.S. and now we finally have some of its specs. The car carries an EPA rating of 32 MPG in the city and 45 on the highway which Ford claims is the best highway rating of any non-hybrid gasoline powered car on the market. The 1.0 liter Fiesta cranks out 123 horsepower and 125 lb.-ft. of torque. In addition, the car is available with an overboost function to push it to 145 lb.-ft. of torque for 15 seconds. The 1.0L Fiesta arrives at dealerships this December with a starting price just under $17,000."

Amish Only!

https://media.ford.com/content/fordmedi ... w-ben.html

Squint
Master Standardshifter

Post by Squint » Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:50 am

My 1.6 liter 4-cylinder Fiesta only has 120 hp (@6350 RPM) and 112 ft-lbs of torque (@5000 RPM). It's also rated for 28 city/37 highway. So a smaller engine, that doesn't better on fuel economy, and is more powerful.

Anyway want to help me do a swap?? :lol: :lol:
'15 Mazda 3 iSport Hatch 6MT
'11 Ford Fiesta Hatchback SE 5MT
'14 Giant Escape City 24MT
'97 Honda Civic EX 4AT - Retired @ 184,001 mi

For Pony!

tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Post by tankinbeans » Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:39 am

Make it less ugly and I'd look. The update does look better than the previous generation, to my eyes anyway.

I test drove the 13 Fiesta SE for my roommate, and found it to be adequate but hateful.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!

AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Post by AHTOXA » Fri Nov 01, 2013 5:56 pm

Fiesta ST looks appealing. If I were car shopping now, I'd probably pick that over the Sonic if the deal was right; I understand they aren't exactly same price. Although, the Sonic would have still been a runner up and a tough choice. I'm not sure of other subcompact hatches outside of the Fiesta ST that offer more HPand torque than the Sonic, not to mention the 40 mpg highway with the turbo motor.
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650

tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter

Post by tankinbeans » Fri Nov 01, 2013 6:30 pm

I'd wonder of the Fiesta ST has a more forgiving clutch than the Focus ST. The clutch in the Focus ST turned me off to that car completely. I know that the clutch is supposed to behave differently than the one in my car, but galdurnit that thing is a bitch.

Now I understand the complaint of the member with the Acura whose clutch bites right off the floor.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!

AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Post by AHTOXA » Fri Nov 01, 2013 6:37 pm

Clutch complains are really common to just about all cars. They are either too grabby, too low, too high or if they are right in the middle, then they are mushy and numb.

Not to say that some of those aren't valid, but you get the idea - it's human nature. I would MUCH rather have a clutch that engages off the floor or has very little margin of engagement than something as mushy as wet noodles.

In August when I was in Chicago I got a chance to drive a Terminator Cobra on a stock clutch. That thing seemed so rediculously heavy when I got in there, yet it felt fine by the time I got done with the drive - about 20 minutes later. The I proceeded to get in my car. I pressed the clutch and actually had to pump it a few times because it seemed like I lost fluid. I didn't.
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650

Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher » Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:44 am

Maybach and Motorcycles and Mercedes, Oh My!

Something I got to by way of Pancho Villa, General "Black Jack" Pershing, WWI, Lt. Col Dwight Eisenhower and the Transcontinental Motor Convoy (The convoy logged 3,250 mi (5,230 km) logged miles in 573.5 hours (5.67mph avg.).[16] and 6 rest days without convoy travel) And the 32-foot long "Pershing Map", the first plan for the U.S. Interstate Highway System.

From "The Conquest of Distance" http://www.uwgb.edu/DutchS/WestTech/xmodern1.htm

The Automobile

The internal combustion engine was originally invented as a stationary device hooked to a gas line for powering small machines. In 1892 Wilhelm Maybach invented the carburetor, which made it possible to fuel internal combustion engines using liquid (and hence portable) fuels. In short order bicycles had been motorized to create the first motorcycles, and automobiles were being manufactured. A number of bicycle manufacturers like Cadillac simply adapted to the new technology and began making automobiles. Two other bicycle manufacturers who turned the internal combustion engine to a new purpose were Wilbur and Orville Wright.

As for Maybach, he and his co-worker Gottlieb Daimler also went into manufacturing automobiles. One of their best customers was an Austrian diplomat, Count Jellinek, who was fascinated with the new playthings. He offered to steer the manufacturers a lucrative deal to provide automobiles for the Austrian Embassy, on one small condition. They had to name the car after Jellinek's daughter, Mercedes.

If you think automobiles are polluters, it's because Americans have largely forgotten the horse. In the late 19th century, New York had to clean up 2000 tons of horse manure a day off its streets. And if you think a stripped derelict car is unsightly, just imagine a dead horse. Horses were often cruelly overworked, and when they died of age, disease, or exhaustion, they were often simply abandoned, sometimes laying for days before being carted away.

Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher » Fri Dec 20, 2013 6:06 pm

5 Horsepower per £

ROCK YOU LIKE A HURACAN
The Lamborghini Gallardo has been around for ten years now and can hold the claim to most successful Lamborghini ever, but its lived a long life and it was time for a new model. So, meet its successor the all-new Huracan, which is the Spanish word for Hurricane. Lambo seems to have a thing for Spanish. One of its other models, Veneno, is the Spanish word for poison. The Huracan is powered by a new direct and indirect injected 5.2 liter V10 engine that produces 610 horsepower and a little over 400 pound-feet of torque. And at a little over 3100 pounds, thanks to its new carbon fiber and aluminum chassis, the Huracan has a power-to-weight ratio of just 5 pounds per horsepower. Its engine is mated to a new 7-speed dual clutch transmission with a electronically controlled 4-wheel drive system. The supercar can hit 60 miles-per-hour in just 3.2 seconds but if you can keep your foot out of the gas and paired with stop/start technology it achieves nearly 19 miles-per-gallon combined. The Huracan will make its first public debut at next year’s Geneva Motor Show.

Those Spaniards really crack me up. They've got a word for everything! Well, almost everything. The words they don't seem to have are "transmisión Amish".

IMBoring25

Post by IMBoring25 » Fri Dec 20, 2013 7:58 pm

5 hp/lb would be more impressive.

Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher » Fri Dec 20, 2013 8:09 pm

IMBoring25 wrote:5 hp/lb would be more impressive.
I'd jump at the chants to by that car at 5 horsepressures per British Pound Sterling...FNI could afford the insurance!

tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter

Post by tankinbeans » Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:30 pm

I'd get into too much trouble at 5 Pferde pro pfund.

What would be better 1 h/lb or 1 tq/lb? Theoretical implausibility aside.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport

Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher » Sat Dec 21, 2013 12:38 am

tankinbeans wrote:I'd get into too much trouble at 5 Pferde pro pfund.

What would be better 1 h/lb or 1 tq/lb? Theoretical implausibility aside.
Who was it that said "Give me a long enough lever and I will move the earth"? Whoever it was, you'll notice he never made any claims about moving it quickly.

I have a torque wrench that goes up to 250 ft-lbs, but that won't make your car go any faster. Power is the time rate of applying torque.

P = tau x omega
where P is power, tau is torque, and omega is angular speed.

But when using other units or if the speed is in revolutions per unit time rather than radians, a conversion factor has to be included.
When torque is in pound-foot units, rotational speed (f) is in rpm and power is required in horsepower:
P(hp) = tau (ft lbf) times f (rpm) over 5252

The constant 5252 is the rounded value of (33,000 ft·lbf/min)/(2π rad/rev)

Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher » Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:53 pm

From Autoline Daily:

DIESELS MORE POPULAR THAN HYBRIDS?
Here’s a fascinating development. While automakers have been debating whether or not American consumers would buy diesel engines in passenger cars, Volkswagen just reported that it sold over 100,000 diesels in the US market in 2013. That means VW sold more diesels than any other car company sold hybrids, with the exception of Toyota. Remember, VW didn’t have a very good sales year in 2013 in the US. It’s sales actually went down. And yet demand for its diesels shot up to the point that VW sold more diesels than either Ford, Honda, Nissan or General Motors sold hybrids, plug-ins and electrics. That’s even more impressive when you realize there are no federal tax credits for diesels, no state or infrastructure incentives of any kind, no CAFE loophole gimmicks…and the price of diesel is higher than it is for gasoline. I wonder how well hybrids and electrics would sell if they faced those kinds of barriers

http://media.vw.com/newsrelease.do;jses ... -more&mid=