The MPG thread

Off-topic posts, quotes of the day and anything else you just would like to vent to the world. PG-13 or below PLEASE!
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Re: The MPG thread

Post by tankinbeans »

I don't brake, but throttling in is probably counterproductive. :twisted:
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
SonicHKS
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2012 Chevy Sonic Turbo

Post by SonicHKS »

Went down from 38.5 mixed to 38.3 this tank. Lots of cruising with the windows up and running the defroster (which runs the a/c).
94Corolla5Speed
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 1994 Corolla, 1990 Miata

Post by 94Corolla5Speed »

According to fuelly, the Miata is at a 27.2 MPG running average. Not bad for hooning it and half the driving being in city streets/heavy highway traffic.
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter

Post by tankinbeans »

I supposedly got 21 mpg in Olie yesterday. Not sure if correct though. As far as I know there hasn't been any gas added since I part filled up.

Question: I've finally managed to get all the bearings replaced. Went in for an alignment last week and was told that the fourth and final bearing was getting ready to crap out. Wood having four properly functioning bearings reduce friction that much to increase the mileage a good amount? Of could it be a fluke.

Secondary question: I replaced the front axle when the CV boot tore. In the process the bearing (referenced above) had to be removed and refitted. Could it have been fully killed by the improper use of an impact wrench? My friend has one and uses it all the time regardless of need or prudence.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

tankinbeans wrote:I supposedly got 21 mpg in Olie yesterday. Not sure if correct though. As far as I know there hasn't been any gas added since I part filled up.

Question: I've finally managed to get all the bearings replaced. Went in for an alignment last week and was told that the fourth and final bearing was getting ready to crap out. Wood having four properly functioning bearings reduce friction that much to increase the mileage a good amount? Of could it be a fluke.

Secondary question: I replaced the front axle when the CV boot tore. In the process the bearing (referenced above) had to be removed and refitted. Could it have been fully killed by the improper use of an impact wrench? My friend has one and uses it all the time regardless of need or prudence.
Your vehicle wasn't built with an impact wrench.
They are known for galling threads and poor control of applied torque.
It depends on the design whether the bearing preload is sensitive to applied torque or not.
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

21mpg isn't impossible. When my 2002 Sierra 1500 was new I was doing a lot of highway driving and got 21 often.

Of course it could just be a short fill or any of a million other variables. Bearings aren't one of them.

Yes, improper torquing of the spindle nut (i.e. just half-assing it with the impact wrench) can eat a bearing. GM's modular unit hub/bearing sucks though. I went through all 4 on my 1997 Grand Am in 50,000 miles, and have put about two dozen (slight exaggeration) in my 2002 Sierra.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

tankinbeans wrote:I don't brake, but throttling in is probably counterproductive. :twisted:
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Post by AHTOXA »

Stopped tracking my mpg for the most part. Cold(er) weather combined with short drives 5 days a week means that my mileage is pretty low. I fill up every 7-10 days so economy isn't crucial to me when driving an already economical car.
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
Squint
Master Standardshifter

Post by Squint »

The Civic has gone down a MPG or two. The drive to the new (relatively) workplace is more city and stop and go traffic. And the drive from the new apartment is even more stop and go - but shorter distance by 1.5-2 miles. So it ends up taking almost the same time.
'15 Mazda 3 iSport Hatch 6MT
'11 Ford Fiesta Hatchback SE 5MT
'14 Giant Escape City 24MT
'97 Honda Civic EX 4AT - Retired @ 184,001 mi

For Pony!
ClutchDisc
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2009 Mazda 5 2.3L 5MT

Post by ClutchDisc »

So I got 22 mpg the whole way to Gary IN driving through snow. Way back was dry pavement and I got 25.7 mpg.
09 Mazda 5 2.3 5-speed manual 171k
11 Subaru Forester auto :( 113k
92 Ford Mustang LX 5.0 5-speed manual 151k
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Post by AHTOXA »

Didn't realize people still went to Gary, IN. It's been dump for many years now, since industry left that town, and subsequently, jobs. Been there a couple of times...
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
ClutchDisc
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2009 Mazda 5 2.3L 5MT

Post by ClutchDisc »

Well, didn't really go to Gary IN, just nearby.
09 Mazda 5 2.3 5-speed manual 171k
11 Subaru Forester auto :( 113k
92 Ford Mustang LX 5.0 5-speed manual 151k
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

ClutchDisc wrote:Well, didn't really go to Gary IN, just nearby.

Hardly anyone sings out about it anymore. They just direct movies and such these days.
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter

Post by tankinbeans »

I just checked and over the last 1703 recorded miles I've gotten 3.68 gallons/100 miles.

My friend has been borrowing Olie so I don't know for sure what he's getting.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
Squint
Master Standardshifter

Post by Squint »

tankinbeans wrote:I just checked and over the last 1703 recorded miles I've gotten 3.68 gallons/100 miles.

My friend has been borrowing Olie so I don't know for sure what he's getting.
You loan cars out far more often than I would ever consider. Especially new cars - I'd maybe consider loaning out my Civic to someone, but it would have to be immediate family/only a handful of friends who I would let borrow my Fiesta...
'15 Mazda 3 iSport Hatch 6MT
'11 Ford Fiesta Hatchback SE 5MT
'14 Giant Escape City 24MT
'97 Honda Civic EX 4AT - Retired @ 184,001 mi

For Pony!