Fiat 500

Off-topic posts, quotes of the day and anything else you just would like to vent to the world. PG-13 or below PLEASE!
Shadow
Master Standardshifter

Fiat 500

Post by Shadow »

Saw my first Fiat 500 on the Garden State Parkway today. Looked exactly like the picture above (same color) and it actually had a cool appearance on the road, in a Mini Cooper kind of way. But the car appears to be quite a bit more narrow than a new Mini Cooper. I was under the impression that the two cars were nearly the same size.

Anyway, I first noticed him in my rear view mirror, and then I got a good look at he zoomed by me at a pretty good rate of speed. The car was brand spankin' new and still had a paper tag in the rear window.
Squint
Master Standardshifter

Re: Fiat 500

Post by Squint »

I've been intrigued by the little thing. I'm hoping that somehow, possibly a miracle, Fiat has managed to make a car that doesn't fall apart super quickly, and they'll catch on here. They're not a bad little car from what I've read, seen, and heard.
'15 Mazda 3 iSport Hatch 6MT
'11 Ford Fiesta Hatchback SE 5MT
'14 Giant Escape City 24MT
'97 Honda Civic EX 4AT - Retired @ 184,001 mi

For Pony!
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

The Fiat 500s that you buy in North America have been re-engineered for improved chassis durability and impact safety compared to their brethren sold abroad.

Yes, they are significantly smaller and lighter than the Mini (which really isn't so mini in size or in mass).

I haven't driven the standard 1.4 L, but the turbocharged Abarth version WILL get out of it's own whey.
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
Shadow
Master Standardshifter

Post by Shadow »

Rope-Pusher wrote: Yes, they are significantly smaller and lighter than the Mini (which really isn't so mini in size or in mass).
That's true. If you've ever seen a modern Mini parked next to an original Mini, you quickly realize just how much larger the modern Mini is in comparison. The Fiat 500 looks closer in size to the original Mini than the modern Mini.
Shadow
Master Standardshifter

Post by Shadow »

Hmm....found a picture with quick Google Image search:

Maybe the Fiat is a bit bigger than the original Mini...
Shadow
Master Standardshifter

Post by Shadow »

Chris H.

Post by Chris H. »

^ I'm actually shocked the modern Mini is THAT much bigger than the original. :shock:
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

No Shocked be you any more, Manikin. Gruesome, they all did.

VS

wannabe
Master Standardshifter
Cars: NONE - take the bus

Post by wannabe »

a friend and her husband rented one and they liked it (the fiat 500)
2003 Chrysler town and country

Crafting and stuff
Shadow
Master Standardshifter

Post by Shadow »

Rope-Pusher wrote:Image

I don't know if anyone here went to the NY International Auto Show this spring, but they had one of those old Fiats, completely restored and in mint condition. It was unbelievably small, almost to the point that it looked comical. It had to be smaller than an original Mini.
Chris H.

Post by Chris H. »

I are shocked...no moar.

Yikes. Cars have ballooned!
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Post by AHTOXA »

I'm still undecided whether I like these or not. The front end looks goofy to me.
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Chris H. wrote:I are shocked...no moar.

Yikes. Cars have ballooned!
Pick-em-ups gruesome also. Dakota is about the sighs of 1/2 ton full-sighs trucks from the '80s and before.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Floats like an Arthropod, Stings like .....
The Fiat brand today announced that the starting U.S. manufacturer’s suggested retail price (MSRP) for its Fiat 500 Abarth would be $22,000 (not including destination).
Faithful to the “small but wicked” saying coined for Karl Abarth’s cars in the 1960s, the 500 Abarth arrives to America with the racing traditions that have made it a success on European roadways and racetracks: world-class performance and precision, purposeful and aggressive styling, high power-to-weight ratio and limited production volume.
“The Fiat 500 Abarth feels like a double shot of espresso straight to your veins,” Tim Kuniskis, Head of Fiat Brand for North America, said. “With its wicked attitude, it will reward adrenaline fans who no longer need to pay six figures to feel the rush of true Italian performance.”
The race-inspired Fiat 500 Abarth comes standard with many performance features, including the all-new 1.4-liter MultiAir® Turbo engine delivering 160 horsepower (119 kW) and 170 lb.-ft. (230 N•m) of torque, Abarth-tuned suspension, brake systems and dual exhaust, turbo-boost gauge with integrated LED shift light and 16-inch aluminum wheels.
Driver and passenger performance seats feature a one-piece design with large side bolsters, racing-harness pass-through and accent stitching. The Fiat 500 Abarth also comes standard with Blue&Me handsfree communication, Bose premium audio system and steering-wheel-mounted audio controls.
Included in the price of each new 500 Abarth is the opportunity for new owners to attend a segment-exclusive driving experience at no additional charge. The Abarth Driving Experience is an entire day of full-throttle training, guided by professional instructors from the Richard Petty Driving Experience to ensure fun and top-level instruction in a safe and structured setting.

Read more: http://www.autoweek.com/article/2012011 ... z1jS1SxKG7
Fit4Fun
Junior Standardshifter

Post by Fit4Fun »

Fascinating photos! I have seen several of the Fiats around here and they are pretty dang small. Looking at them, I might feel a bit claustrophobic in one. They definitely strike me as smaller than the MINIs, which are everywhere here.

The Abarth sounds too awesome for words, but personally I would have reliability concerns. No doubt it isn't targeted toward someone like me. :lol: However some on fitfreak.net have vowed to sell their Fits for one.
2012 Honda Fit 5MT!