Volkswagen Corrado

Off-topic posts, quotes of the day and anything else you just would like to vent to the world. PG-13 or below PLEASE!
Shadow
Master Standardshifter

Volkswagen Corrado

Post by Shadow »

Anyone here like the old Corrado VR6? I was driving back home from my brother's house Monday and a guy in a bright red Corrado VR6 pulled out in front of me from an adjacent road when I was going about 60 MPH. He wasn't being a jerk or anything, I just think he misjudged my speed. He quickly must have realized I was bearing down on him (actually, I was already on the brakes), so he hit the gas pretty hard and I could see the car lurch as he shifted. The car seemed to have pretty decent power. I've always liked those cars, but back in those days I was much more into V8 Mustangs.

Anyway, I haven't seen a Corrado on the road in such a long time, so it was nice to see one is such nice condition. The thing honestly looked almost brand new and appeared 100% bone stock.
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Re: Volkswagen Corrado

Post by potownrob »

I always liked the looks of the Corrado and cherished seeing one on the road or in the parking lot, probably due to knowing I wouldn't be seeing one again for a while (more recently, years have passed between seeing one). Looking at pics of it now, it looks more dated than I remember, but still nice.
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
FDSpirit
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2000 Honda Civic Si

Post by FDSpirit »

Hell. Yes.
2000 Honda Civic Si- Slightly faster than your grandmomma's grocery getter......slightly.
Shadow
Master Standardshifter

Post by Shadow »

potownrob wrote:I always liked the looks of the Corrado and cherished seeing one on the road or in the parking lot, probably due to knowing I wouldn't be seeing one again for a while (more recently, years have passed between seeing one). Looking at pics of it now, it looks more dated than I remember, but still nice.
Yeah, they seem to be extremely rare these days. I don't even know the last time I've seen one (before the other day), but I'm sure it's been several years. It didn't look too dated though, at least from the rear view.

I also came across a lightly modified RX-7 the other day. It was a mid- or possibly late-90's model (3rd gen, I believe) and it looked great. That's another car that I rarely see on the roads anymore. The body style aged quite well because it still had a very modern look to it, despite being approximately 15+ years old.
FDSpirit
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2000 Honda Civic Si

Post by FDSpirit »

I see a ton of RX-7s around where I live. Okay. Maybe not a ton, but 10 is more than what I'd expect, especially in NY. As for the VW, the last one I saw was candy apple red. Clean as hell. They really are nice cars. The cool thing about cars like that is because they're so rare, they look so much better when you actually see them.
2000 Honda Civic Si- Slightly faster than your grandmomma's grocery getter......slightly.
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

FDSpirit, I just realized your avatar is of a kid eating cereal at a table, and not of a kid holding a shotgun :lol: :shock: :roll: :)
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

potownrob wrote:FDSpirit, I just realized your avatar is of a kid eating cereal at a table, and not of a kid holding a shotgun :lol: :shock: :roll: :)
His mom says he can't have a shot gun until he eats his breakfast.
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
Squint
Master Standardshifter

Post by Squint »

I don't see the shotgun... how.. :?:
'15 Mazda 3 iSport Hatch 6MT
'11 Ford Fiesta Hatchback SE 5MT
'14 Giant Escape City 24MT
'97 Honda Civic EX 4AT - Retired @ 184,001 mi

For Pony!
Bill B
Senior Standardshifter

Post by Bill B »

I drove a Corrado once about 10 years ago and they were quick and a nice car to drive. Another car I always liked but never owned or drove one was the mid to late 80's Toyota Supra. You don't see very many of those on the road anymore. Does anyone remember the early 70's Mercury Capri. I liked those and the ones with the 6cyl engine were pretty nice little pocket rockets. You would be hard pressed to find one of those today as most of them must have been run into the ground.
Bill Berckman
West Chester, Ohio
2007 Honda Element EX AWD 5 Speed MT
Shadow
Master Standardshifter

Post by Shadow »

Bill B wrote:I drove a Corrado once about 10 years ago and they were quick and a nice car to drive. Another car I always liked but never owned or drove one was the mid to late 80's Toyota Supra. You don't see very many of those on the road anymore. Does anyone remember the early 70's Mercury Capri. I liked those and the ones with the 6cyl engine were pretty nice little pocket rockets. You would be hard pressed to find one of those today as most of them must have been run into the ground.
One of my best friends owned a highly modified 1987 Supra Turbo that was featured in Turbo and High Tech Performance magazine. The car made nearly 500 HP to the rear wheels and was an absolute beast on the highway. He just recently sold it after owning for 20 years.
Progressive Shifter
Junior Standardshifter

Post by Progressive Shifter »

I actually liked the VW Corrado, come to think about it. If I remember correctly, back in elementary school, an old school mate that I would talk to on and off would get picked up by his father in a Corrado. I remember it being a Bright Red example just like the one you described. To this day, I think that the car looks really sweet! I actually saw a classified ad for a yellow Corrado on Vehix for $3500 earlier last month. Seemed pretty cool.
MANUALS ARE SO UNDERRATED!! xD
eaglecatcher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '90 300ZXTT 5MT

Post by eaglecatcher »

I love the Corrado. I tried desperately to get one for my first car, but around here (the DFW metro is a big ass place) there wasn't a single one for sale. Even when I sold it and bought my second car (the Z), I still looked and there were none.

My friend had one and it was f**k fast.
Z1 Intake
Z1 2.5" Test pipes
HKS 65mm Hi-Power Exhaust
AMS Short Shifter
SZ Subframe Spacers
HKS Vein Pressure Converter
DDM Tuning 6000k HIDs
eggwich delfiero
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: Mustang GT

Post by eggwich delfiero »

I like them, don't see them too often. There's a yellow one with black wheels near my work, looks alright, will take a pic sometime. A friend in Canada has one, loves it. He's a VW fanboi, but admits it's not the most reliable thing in the world. And parts availability/expense is a real issue. I don't know the exact price, but they were crazy expensive when they came out.
Also, while I totally dig the Golf/GTI's classic boxy look and hope they never move away from it, the Corrado might be better looking than anything VW makes today. CCs can look pretty good though.
vedran
Master Standardshifter

Post by vedran »

I love Corrados :D

They're very rare in GA. I see one once every couple of years. I've seen 2 so far in these past three weeks in MA.

Here's one I spotted at Best Buy today:

2012 VW GTI - 6MT
2001 Infiniti QX4 - 4AT
Shadow
Master Standardshifter

Post by Shadow »

Wow, that looks fantastic with those newer OEM VW wheels.