What Were Your Past Cell Phones

Off-topic posts, quotes of the day and anything else you just would like to vent to the world. PG-13 or below PLEASE!
User avatar
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Posts: 16021
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2008 1:36 pm
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT
Location: Glocester, RI
Contact:

Re: What Were Your Past Cell Phones

Post by theholycow » Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:12 am

LHO, have you streamed music with the Virgin Mobile LG Rumor2, or only played from the microSD? If so, what sites can you stream from?
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD

User avatar
FDSpirit
Master Standardshifter
Posts: 6157
Joined: Sun Mar 22, 2009 8:23 pm
Cars: 2000 Honda Civic Si
Location: Troy/Albany, NY
Contact:

Re: What Were Your Past Cell Phones

Post by FDSpirit » Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:26 pm

You might be able to use shoutcast's site. Id email my links to my phone and open the links up and the media player would stream the music. That's what I had to do on my Sidekick.
2000 Honda Civic Si- Slightly faster than your grandmomma's grocery getter......slightly.

User avatar
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Posts: 14688
Joined: Sun Dec 23, 2007 6:31 pm
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP
Location: Irving, TX

Re: What Were Your Past Cell Phones

Post by AHTOXA » Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:42 pm

LHOswald wrote:i get reprimanded on a daily basis for not selling enough with laptops, printers and digital cameras. i tell my customers the truth. most times, it is a good idea to get warranties (electronics are made at the lowest bidder, and the manufacturer will tell you to f*ck off if you call them with a problem) but if people don't want warranties or other stuff with their product (the two ways we're graded on selling is selling warranties, and selling stuff with the product, called "Market Basket") then im not gonna push them. they're the ones buying the goddamn thing and if they don't want the bells and whistles (be it too much money or just not wanting them) is their own damn business!
Your job as a salesman is to have the customer understand the value of what you are try to sell in terms of how it relates to them in their particular case. Those that tell you they don't want it may not understand what it entails. You should never force anyone to buy anything, but you would be surprised how many people say no just to say no and with a small effort, can be soldthe product.

Then again, I hated sales. Hated it to my core.
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650

User avatar
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Posts: 16021
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2008 1:36 pm
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT
Location: Glocester, RI
Contact:

Re: What Were Your Past Cell Phones

Post by theholycow » Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:48 pm

FDSpirit wrote:You might be able to use shoutcast's site. Id email my links to my phone and open the links up and the media player would stream the music. That's what I had to do on my Sidekick.
:lol: I remember doing something similar to stream music on my M500.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD

User avatar
six
Master Standardshifter
Posts: 4672
Joined: Thu Mar 16, 2006 4:45 pm
Cars: 2015 Chevrolet SS 6MT
Location: California, U.S.

Re: What Were Your Past Cell Phones

Post by six » Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:36 pm

LHOswald wrote:i get reprimanded on a daily basis for not selling enough with laptops, printers and digital cameras. i tell my customers the truth. most times, it is a good idea to get warranties (electronics are made at the lowest bidder, and the manufacturer will tell you to f*ck off if you call them with a problem) but if people don't want warranties or other stuff with their product (the two ways we're graded on selling is selling warranties, and selling stuff with the product, called "Market Basket") then im not gonna push them. they're the ones buying the goddamn thing and if they don't want the bells and whistles (be it too much money or just not wanting them) is their own damn business!
I wish every sales guy was like you. You'd be the one I'd go to every time if I had a question. If I wanted the damn warranty, I would buy it on my own! I'm glad you let me make the decision.
Image
2015 Heron White Chevrolet SS Sedan 6MT

User avatar
Zexel
Senior Standardshifter
Posts: 276
Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:54 pm
Cars: 2005 Scion tC RS 1.0
Location: South of Boston, Massachusetts
Contact:

Re: What Were Your Past Cell Phones

Post by Zexel » Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:32 am

Image
Started out with the LG VX6100 when I was 16.

Image
After 20 months (when I qualified for an upgrade) I got this - the Motorola RAZR Maxx Ve

Image
Then about 6 months later, the LG Voyager launched so I bought that outright at $550.

Image
I got bored with that and wanted an actual smartphone I could customize, so a few months later I got the Pearl 8130...bought it outright.

Image
The next summer, the Curve 8330 launched on Verizon so I hopped on that..bought it outright.

Image
Then I was dabbling with the idea of getting off my mom's plan and switching to a SIM card based phone, so I paid a $100 prorated ETF for what was left of my Verizon contract and ported to AT&T. I got a free phone with the contract, then bought the Nokia N95-4 unlocked at full price.

Image
4 days later I decided I hated it and couldn't go back to not having a full keyboard, so I returned the N95-4 and the free phone that came with the contract, canceled out of the contract within the return policy, then went and got a new number and a new contract with the iPhone 3G 16 GB.

Image
I loved my iPhone 3G so much that I actually kept it for the full contract term, the first time that's happened since I had my very first phone. The iPhone 4 launched last summer so I upgraded to that (a 32 GB model) and that's what I continue to use to this day.
Driving stick since April 8th, 2008.

User avatar
ElectroGhandi
Master Standardshifter
Posts: 2668
Joined: Sat Apr 11, 2009 2:44 am
Cars: 1994 Isuzu Rodeo V6
Location: Baltimore, MD
Contact:

Re: What Were Your Past Cell Phones

Post by ElectroGhandi » Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:40 am

As much of a phone geek as I am (or used to be), I've never bought a phone outright XD
Image

User avatar
Zexel
Senior Standardshifter
Posts: 276
Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:54 pm
Cars: 2005 Scion tC RS 1.0
Location: South of Boston, Massachusetts
Contact:

Re: What Were Your Past Cell Phones

Post by Zexel » Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:53 pm

I work at Best Buy so I get a discount on them, otherwise it would've been more detrimental to my wallet. I also sell each phone back on eBay after I'm done with it, and I take great care of my phones so I always get top dollar back for them.

I also forgot to list the phones I've had on my employee lines! :D

AT&T - $20/month - BlackBerry Bold 9000 (Sold and disconnected)
Verizon - $25/month - BlackBerry Bold 9630 then upgraded to the Motorola Droid 2 (currently still have)
Sprint - $30/month - Novatel Wireless MiFi 2200 Mobile Hotspot (disconnected)
Driving stick since April 8th, 2008.

User avatar
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Posts: 7513
Joined: Sun Jun 05, 2005 11:35 pm
Cars: '13 ES 350; '07 Altima
Location: Dutchess County

Re: What Were Your Past Cell Phones

Post by potownrob » Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:51 pm

Zexel wrote:Image
Started out with the LG VX6100 when I was 16.

Image
After 20 months (when I qualified for an upgrade) I got this - the Motorola RAZR Maxx Ve

Image
Then about 6 months later, the LG Voyager launched so I bought that outright at $550...(more phones bought outright)...
damn, i thought i was bad for buying phones used when my old phone worked fine. gotta hold out then get them cheaper on ebay :shock: :lol: :)
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.

User avatar
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Posts: 7513
Joined: Sun Jun 05, 2005 11:35 pm
Cars: '13 ES 350; '07 Altima
Location: Dutchess County

Re: What Were Your Past Cell Phones

Post by potownrob » Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:55 pm

LHOswald wrote:...if people don't want warranties or other stuff with their product (the two ways we're graded on selling is selling warranties, and selling stuff with the product, called "Market Basket") then im not gonna push them. they're the ones buying the goddamn thing and if they don't want the bells and whistles (be it too much money or just not wanting them) is their own damn business!
+10000000000 :lol:
market basket was terrible for us, despite a couple of the techs doing exceptionally well (one even got me to get a warranty on a printer i bought a week after quitting the depot, damn persistent)...
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.

LHOswald
Master Standardshifter
Posts: 2787
Joined: Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:46 pm
Cars: '99 Civic Hatch w/B16a
Location: Enfield, Connecticut

Re: What Were Your Past Cell Phones

Post by LHOswald » Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:25 am

potownrob wrote:
LHOswald wrote:...if people don't want warranties or other stuff with their product (the two ways we're graded on selling is selling warranties, and selling stuff with the product, called "Market Basket") then im not gonna push them. they're the ones buying the goddamn thing and if they don't want the bells and whistles (be it too much money or just not wanting them) is their own damn business!
+10000000000 :lol:
market basket was terrible for us, despite a couple of the techs doing exceptionally well (one even got me to get a warranty on a printer i bought a week after quitting the depot, damn persistent)...
you go back there and you stab him. STAB HIM UNTIL HES DEAD!!!!!!!!!

oh and THC you cant stream music from that phone. or at least i dont know how to. i just download it, put it on the microSD and bump jams 8)
Image

User avatar
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Posts: 7513
Joined: Sun Jun 05, 2005 11:35 pm
Cars: '13 ES 350; '07 Altima
Location: Dutchess County

Re: What Were Your Past Cell Phones

Post by potownrob » Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:29 am

LHOswald wrote:you go back there and you stab him. STAB HIM UNTIL HES DEAD!!!!!!!!!
LOL :lol: yeah, i was uber pissed about that but, what's worse, is that i was pissed while he was pushing the warranty - it was as though i had no choice in the matter (and as though i hadn't known this guy and vice versa despite working with him for 1.5 years) :evil: :oops: :lol:
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.

LHOswald
Master Standardshifter
Posts: 2787
Joined: Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:46 pm
Cars: '99 Civic Hatch w/B16a
Location: Enfield, Connecticut

Re: What Were Your Past Cell Phones

Post by LHOswald » Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:35 am

if it makes you feel any better, my girlfriends mother payed half for my girlfriends laptop, and i convinced her to buy a 2-year extended warranty, MS Office H&S, Kaspersky Internet Security 2010 and mad other little shit (mouse, flash drive, CD's). in reality it worked out cause she needed all that stuff anyway (didnt really need the warranty though. she bought an HP DM4. shits a tank) but man did my numbers look good after that week :) :) :)
Image

User avatar
1974Alfa5spd
Master Standardshifter
Posts: 7426
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2008 12:36 am
Location: Hill Start Central

Re: What Were Your Past Cell Phones

Post by 1974Alfa5spd » Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:47 am

The funniest thing was when my brother bought a netbook, they gave (sold) him an antivirus program that came on a CD. :lol:
If you don't get it, netbooks don't have disc drives.

User avatar
wannabe
Master Standardshifter
Posts: 8090
Joined: Tue May 15, 2007 11:48 am
Cars: NONE - take the bus
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Contact:

Re: What Were Your Past Cell Phones

Post by wannabe » Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:22 am

1974Alfa5spd wrote:The funniest thing was when my brother bought a netbook, they gave (sold) him an antivirus program that came on a CD. :lol:
If you don't get it, netbooks don't have disc drives.
yes. i know. i have a net book. drew gave me a movie to watch...i was like, um.......
Currently not driving anything - the escort died april 2014 and there's no funds to replace it

Crafting and stuff

Post Reply