Major accidents thread

Off-topic posts, quotes of the day and anything else you just would like to vent to the world. PG-13 or below PLEASE!
fa22raptorf22
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2004 SSM Acura RSX

Major accidents thread

Post by fa22raptorf22 »

Who here has had any major accidents and what was your story?

Tell here!

I will start.

As talked about in another thread, my rsx was totalled awhile back when it lost all traction whatsoever on the parkway when going over a slight crest and slammed into the guardrails.

I was at WOT going up a slight hill, when at the top was a slight curve as well. I was going quick enough that the lift I got from the hill was enough to make the fronts lose steering ability and I could not turn from the side. I did however managr to brake hard to slow and get the rear to lose some traction and get it to come around, which got me away from the left side, and over to the right. As it moved right, the same effect happened. NO steering! This is where the car did not come back left, and slammed itself to bits.

I did find my back left tire flat after all this, which I did not hit. So my guess is that this may have been comprimised early on.

Tell your story!
1974Alfa5spd
Master Standardshifter

Re: Major accidents thread

Post by 1974Alfa5spd »

I spun the Alfa.
I was too overconfident in its handling capabilities and took a 90* corner at about 45mph. The rear end let go and I couldn't hold it in a drift or fishtail out of it. So I ended up facing the wrong way. :lol: I'm stupid.
LHOswald
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '99 Civic Hatch w/B16a

Post by LHOswald »

lol i haven't had any accidents whatsoever, but i almost caused like a 5-6 car pileup coming out of this boat launch. it had a stop sign at the top of a 45º+ hill with a 45 mph speed limit and huge trees coming down, making it impossible to see where the cars were coming from until after you got out into the road.

scary shit
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

1974Alfa5spd wrote:I spun the Alfa.
I was too overconfident in its handling capabilities and took a 90* corner at about 45mph. The rear end let go and I couldn't hold it in a drift or fishtail out of it. So I ended up facing the wrong way. :lol: I'm stupid.
I don't think you can call it a "major accident" if there wasn't even any collision or any kind of damage.

I've had a few small collisions, only two of which ever were bad enough for an insurance claim. Only one of those claims involved a payment to me, and neither of them was legally my fault. Drive as many miles as I have and you're bound to have a few like that, unless your driving is so godawful ridiculously perfectly careful that people shoot you instead (and even then you have to have a whole lot of luck and very little traffic).
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
Warner
Master Standardshifter

Post by Warner »

I haven't been in any major accidents, but I have a large dent in my driver's side front door from a wreck where a lady and I were turning left in 2 left turn lanes and she crossed over into mine (the right one) as she was turning and ran into my car.

It kind of sucks, but I got $1000 out of it from her insurance company, so oh well. It's not like my car was the prettiest thing ever before that anyway and I wasn't about to spend $1000 to repair a car that's worth like $1800, lol.
94Corolla5Speed
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 1994 Corolla, 1990 Miata

Post by 94Corolla5Speed »

I'd say I've been in two major accidents, one that was my fault and one that wasn't. The first one wasn't my fault. I was going down a two-lane each way road with a median with trees in the middle that split for every sidestreet. I was in the left lane, and a lady cut in front of me from a sidestreet ahead and to the right of me when she was trying to make a left into my opposing traffic direction. She stopped in the median, but the rear of her car was still in my lane. I slammed on my brakes (didn't know how to threshold brake back then, although I don't think it would've allowed me to stop in time either) and they locked up and I hit her driver's side quarterpanel pretty hard (I'd say 25-30 mph). It was wet that day so that didn't help.

Second time I was going down the twisty bits on Sheridan road. It was dry on the road, but there were leaves and under the leaves it was damp. I was coming out of a downhill right hander that went into an uphill left, almost like a hairpin. I was going maybe 15-20, and in the transition, my brakes locked up on the leaves and I understeered into a guardrail.

I've had other minor accidents but those weren't as bad as these. And damn that bus is resilient. It annihilated that fox body.
fa22raptorf22
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2004 SSM Acura RSX

Post by fa22raptorf22 »

^^Looks like somebody needs an ABS system LOL.
94Corolla5Speed
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 1994 Corolla, 1990 Miata

Post by 94Corolla5Speed »

:lol: The lack of ABS (and my stupidity) has caused all of the accidents (minor and major) that I was at fault.
mad_finn
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: Cevrolet Caprice STW (at)

Post by mad_finn »

I was accelerating on heavy rain in van owned by trasport company I worked for in place when city street ens and higway starts, there is light bend to right and the road is tilted to right where are sewers, but the sewer was somehow stuck and water kept pooling so the rightmost lane,and half of the middle lane was flooded.
I was driving on middle lane knowing that I had enough cargo and water was shallow enough that I could drive it normally there, (80kmh / 50mph speed limit)
but just before that flooded section someone cut me off, and I scared a bit and I swiftly chanced lane to righmost lane, and same moment lost all grip, hit the curb, and rolled over 2 times.

The car ended leftside down, in the road where was about 1.5feet deep water, I was soaked in there, and cargo was ruined (news magasines from the presshouse)
13litre engine, 18 speed manual, total weight 36tons.11 years on the road,700k.miles driven
1974Alfa5spd
Master Standardshifter

Post by 1974Alfa5spd »

94Corolla5Speed wrote::lol: The lack of ABS (and my stupidity) has caused all of the accidents (minor and major) that I was at fault.
ABS? We don't need no stinkin ABS.
(Real drivers can threshold brake.)
noob5,000,000
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 1986 Mazda RX-7 x2

Post by noob5,000,000 »

ABS WUT?

I haven't crashed anything yet, I'm sure it'll happen eventually though (hopefully it's not the Texas FC, I have too much time and money invested into it) :lol: . I haven't even been in any major accidents as a passenger, I guess I've just been lucky [knock on wood]. The 'worst' one was when my dad rear-ended a guy at like 3 mph when the guy took off from a stop sign, then decided to slam on the brakes for no reason. We were going to Taco Bell, I was like 8 years old.
1986 Mazda RX-7 sport - slowly returning to the Earth
1986 Mazda RX-7 base - Project car, ???, In pieces, turbo parts around.
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

1974Alfa5spd wrote:
94Corolla5Speed wrote::lol: The lack of ABS (and my stupidity) has caused all of the accidents (minor and major) that I was at fault.
If he had ABS, he could have steered around that car just as well as if he was threshold braking. He didn't have ABS and he didn't threshold brake, so he hit it. Ergo, ABS would have helped.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
ElectroGhandi
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 1994 Isuzu Rodeo V6

Post by ElectroGhandi »

Yeah, ABS is a good thing. I know, as manual drivers, we oppose computers controlling our cars, but we want ABS :lol:
1974Alfa5spd
Master Standardshifter

Post by 1974Alfa5spd »

theholycow wrote:
1974Alfa5spd wrote:
If he had ABS, he could have steered around that car just as well as if he was threshold braking. He didn't have ABS and he didn't threshold brake, so he hit it. Ergo, ABS would have helped.
That was just a TL;DR'd. :lol: ABS caught my eye so I decided to bitch about that.
padauk_dust
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '88 Accord, '96 VFR

Post by padauk_dust »

mad_finn wrote:I was accelerating on heavy rain in van owned by trasport company I worked for in place when city street ens and higway starts, there is light bend to right and the road is tilted to right where are sewers, but the sewer was somehow stuck and water kept pooling so the rightmost lane,and half of the middle lane was flooded.
I was driving on middle lane knowing that I had enough cargo and water was shallow enough that I could drive it normally there, (80kmh / 50mph speed limit)
but just before that flooded section someone cut me off, and I scared a bit and I swiftly chanced lane to righmost lane, and same moment lost all grip, hit the curb, and rolled over 2 times.

The car ended leftside down, in the road where was about 1.5feet deep water, I was soaked in there, and cargo was ruined (news magasines from the presshouse)
Damn!

The closest thing to a major accident I've experienced happened on my motorcycle. In the gorgeous mountain twisties in WA near Cougar, on a group ride with a bunch of supersport guys. VERY technical turns, quite challenging, roads with lots of imperfections etc.

Anyway, I was going through an S turn and after the first sweep to the left I flick the bike onto it's right side and nestle into my line for the corner. It was going well until I spotted a rock ahead and tried to correct my line to avoid it. It didn't go as I'd hoped. Either it was my quick correction that upset the bike (I was DEEP into the curve at about 50 mph) or I actually hit the rock. I'm not so sure. All I know is that the bike ended up on it's other side, I landed behind it watching the sparks fly as I tumbled and slid to a stop in the middle of the road. My left elbow was gashed to the bone and I had rash all over my right side. My shoulder was messed up too, out of place. Of course with adrenalin you can do anything, so I immediately hopped off the ground and picked my 450lb bike up no problem. :lol: Later that day I couldn't have picked it up for a million dollars.

Anyway, I got back on and rode 90 minutes to the emergency room. It sucked. The guys I was riding with really helped out though. This one dude in particular Matt. He was very supportive and helped me wrap my elbow up and get my bike back together.

That happened June 1st 2009 actually.
'88 Accord DX
'96 VFR750