Anybody Go Karting?

Off-topic posts, quotes of the day and anything else you just would like to vent to the world. PG-13 or below PLEASE!
94Corolla5Speed
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 1994 Corolla, 1990 Miata

Re: Anybody Go Karting?

Post by 94Corolla5Speed »

Yea, normally, it's $20 a race for your first one, 15 for second, then 10 thereafter. But they have specials all the time.

I wanna goooo! I'll tell you guys about the experience fully after I go. And I can't wait to hear a little ICE rumbling behind me; that's one thing you electric guys don't get; the sound :D
pmacutay
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 95 VW Golf

Post by pmacutay »

I quite fancy the electric sound though. It's like a big supercharger, or the scream of an F1 car...

But I might be prejudiced because the only gas-powered karts I've driven were slow and boggy.
95 VR6 Golf Sport
ra64t
Master Standardshifter

Post by ra64t »

I'm interested to hear what the propane power is like. I'm guessing it will be more like an electric insta-power. the 4 strokes used for indoor karting don't accelerate that well, so keeping up momentum is crucial. a two stroke kart is a little better then a 4 stroke but those aren't used indoors (burn oil like mad). I'm sure momentum will still be important with propane, but maybe less so. My friend has an electric kart (converted his gas racing kart) but I've only driven it around a parking lot and not raced it. The electric kart accelerates about as fast as the high performance racing karts.
My racing blog: aracingdream.com
94Corolla5Speed
Master Standardshifter

Sorry for bumping this but I was just reminded about karting by gizmo's post in the Racing section. Anyway, I had a great time at this, I went just over a month ago. I got FTD when I went there, so I guess all those videogames weren't all for nothing :lol: My back hurt like hell the next day because one vertebrae was hitting part of the plastic seat. I also noticed that I was actually about half a second slower per lap if I was taking the straights and corners methodically and smoothly. I was on my last lap and said "f**k it I'm going all out" and blitzed through it as fast as I could, not going for smoothness but just for sheer speed. I saw on the time charts that I was consistently doing about 37.4ish seconds a lap, and on the last lap I managed about a 36.7.

Ask questions if you want. I'm bored.
ra64t
Master Standardshifter

Post by ra64t »

I found with indoor karting, I started out pretty smooth, for a while I gained speed by getting more and more aggressive, then reached a plateau, then gained more speed by getting smoother again.

how was the propane power?
My racing blog: aracingdream.com
94Corolla5Speed
Master Standardshifter

Propane power felt no different than what I feel a gas-powered kart would feel like. Just felt like any other ICE kart.
dwightbrown
Junior Standardshifter

Post by dwightbrown »

I just want to bump on this one. I know some good indoor go karting that all of us can go and enjoy. Why won't you try to have it done because it's a good thing to happen and a good hobby. Hope that all of us may go with it and try karting!
94Corolla5Speed
Master Standardshifter

Its a spambot... but it's advertising the place Phil went to...

DOES NOT COMPUTE
ElectroGhandi
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 1994 Isuzu Rodeo V6

Post by ElectroGhandi »

RITmusic2k wrote:There's a place in town that has electric karts, and they are apparently a blast to drive because of that mountain of zero-rpm torque for launching :twisted:
I built an electric cart. Even with a cheap, tiny motor it's still ridiculously torquey. Much fun!
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

ElectroGhandi wrote:
RITmusic2k wrote:There's a place in town that has electric karts, and they are apparently a blast to drive because of that mountain of zero-rpm torque for launching :twisted:
I built an electric cart. Even with a cheap, tiny motor it's still ridiculously torquey. Much fun!
...until the plug pulls out of the wall?

Cosmo is light enough that he could go slot-car racing!
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
94Corolla5Speed
Master Standardshifter

At 125 lbs, I weigh less than Felipe Massa :lol:
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

94Corolla5Speed wrote:At 125 lbs, I weigh less than Felipe Massa :lol:
Oh now, you don't have to go and call me "Massa" - "Your Ropiness" will suffice.

Who's this Felipe guy anyway? Maybe he'll put on a dinosaur suit and drive the car in the other lane.
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
94Corolla5Speed
Master Standardshifter

LOL
Zexel
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2005 Scion tC RS 1.0

Post by Zexel »

I did karting in a junior league back when I was 14-15, but I'm participating in an adult league coming up in May. I would say the biggest thing to do is learn the grip limitations of your kart, cause once you hit that limit, the karts usually spin out pretty unexpectedly. And while most places give you everything you need (a helmet, race suit, neck guard) I would invest in some gloves if they don't give them to you. After a few races you'll have some serious blisters.

The place I go to is http://f1boston.com is case you're interested. They have two indoor tracks, a restaurant and bar, billiard room, conference centers, race store, and even a few race cars on display. They also have a large outdoor a few towns over. Every time I go in there it's always empty...I dunno how they stay in business.
Driving stick since April 8th, 2008.
gizmo
Master Standardshifter
Cars: tC

Post by gizmo »

all the time. i'll be filming my next karting venture in a 28hp rotax using my go pro. wooooo. no you can't come. but it's okay to be jealous. should release mid april.