Is SS Dead?

Off-topic posts, quotes of the day and anything else you just would like to vent to the world. PG-13 or below PLEASE!
Tinton
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 91 MR2t, 88&86 Fieros

Is SS Dead?

Post by Tinton »

Same shitty threads get replied to by the same people, Kelly has no life, and nothing new is popping up. Is SS dying? :idea:
VTECaddict
Master Standardshifter

Re: Is SS Dead?

Post by VTECaddict »

yes. kbai.
2006 BMW 330i 6MT
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

It went to crap the day I joined.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
VTECaddict
Master Standardshifter

Post by VTECaddict »

paul34 wrote: hey did you ever make a decision about teh beemer?
yeah. decided on neither of them. :lol:

theres a blue one and silver one in the bay area. im gonna check them out when i go home for memorial day weekend...hopefully no one gets to them before i do. im leaning towards blue just for a change (its sort of a weird blue though), since my accord is already silver/black/aluminum trim.
2006 BMW 330i 6MT
mtheis
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 07 Corolla, 76 Celica

Post by mtheis »

As a resident of this place for 6 years, I'd say SS is nearing the end of its lifecycle.
2007 Corolla
2017 Cannondale Quick 3
1995 Tercel
1976 Celica GT
Unofficial SS.com IRC Server
Driving stick since March 20, 2002
Official lurker
DarkPilot
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2014 Focus ST 6 Spd Manua

Post by DarkPilot »

Every forum I go toends in one fo two ways within 6-12 months.

1. I get bored of it and move on.

2(The more interesting one). The forum dies in an explosion of flame wars, hate and being wiped from the face of the internet.

I really should stop going to forums really....
Project Brick Shithouse: Phase I RIP, Scrapped 8/12/09
2003 VW Golf "Unit 2" 2008-2014.
Tinton
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 91 MR2t, 88&86 Fieros

Post by Tinton »

DarkPilot wrote:Every forum I go toends in one fo two ways within 6-12 months.

1. I get bored of it and move on.

2(The more interesting one). The forum dies in an explosion of flame wars, hate and being wiped from the face of the internet.

I really should stop going to forums really....
Some die via route #1, people just get bored and leave til only a few people post relatively nothing, and then the forum slowly fades away and becomes inactive.
Warner
Master Standardshifter

Post by Warner »

SS is significantly different from the way it was when I joined. No thread stays on topic anymore and the same people talk to each other about nothing in all the open threads, no matter the subject. Whether this is good or bad is a matter of opinion and there are pros and cons to it, but overall I kind of miss the old SS. I used to read all the threads and often join in on discussions, but now so many of them go off topic that I've basically stopped reading most sections and stick to a few interesting threads that pop up.

I assume this change is at least part of the reason many people left (or at least stopped participating) (e.g. Jomo, Johnf, etc.)
comingbackdown
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2013 Ford Fiesta

Post by comingbackdown »

First off, we need our mods back. Jomo, Johnf, don't make us come find you...

We all need to change our 'tudes.

That is a fact, and WE CAN DO IT!

C'mon, people! We can bring back the old SS, it's up to us!
2013 Ford Fiesta + a bike and a land yacht which are in pieces.
permabanned
Master Standardshifter

Post by permabanned »

SS is different because its gets old answering same questions every week for a few years, and nobody likes people who sign up, make 1 or 2 posts and never show up again. thats like some random person showing up at your party, drinking all your booze and never show up again.
95 probe GT
02 yamaha R6
My Flickr
mtheis
Master Standardshifter

Post by mtheis »

permabanned wrote:SS is different because its gets old answering same questions every week for a few years, and nobody likes people who sign up, make 1 or 2 posts and never show up again. thats like some random person showing up at your party, drinking all your booze and never show up again.
Must've been some shitty booze.
2007 Corolla
2017 Cannondale Quick 3
1995 Tercel
1976 Celica GT
Official lurker
noob5,000,000
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 1986 Mazda RX-7 x2

Post by noob5,000,000 »

Yeah I've noticed a pretty big change in SS since I joined. It's not necessarily a negative change, but it definitely has a different feel now. Now it's more of a tight-knit close group of friends BS-ing atmosphere, rather than an educational atmosphere. I don't mind it, but I can see how it may push away newer members. And I really hate to see long-time members suddenly disappear. I think we should try to build a higher wall around the rants and raves section, so less of the antics spill over into the other sections. ie, let's not derail every thread in the tranny talk and manual driving tips sections anymore :lol: .
1986 Mazda RX-7 sport - slowly returning to the Earth
1986 Mazda RX-7 base - Project car, ???, In pieces, turbo parts around.
mtheis
Master Standardshifter

Post by mtheis »

This forum needs a reset button to 6 years ago. I could sure make some changes myself.

Question: What would you do differently if you could repeat the last 6 years of your life? I know what I would do.
2007 Corolla
2017 Cannondale Quick 3
1995 Tercel
1976 Celica GT
Official lurker
VTECaddict
Master Standardshifter

Post by VTECaddict »

Warner wrote:SS is significantly different from the way it was when I joined. No thread stays on topic anymore and the same people talk to each other about nothing in all the open threads, no matter the subject. Whether this is good or bad is a matter of opinion and there are pros and cons to it, but overall I kind of miss the old SS. I used to read all the threads and often join in on discussions, but now so many of them go off topic that I've basically stopped reading most sections and stick to a few interesting threads that pop up.

I assume this change is at least part of the reason many people left (or at least stopped participating) (e.g. Jomo, Johnf, etc.)
2006 BMW 330i 6MT
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

permabanned wrote:SS is different because its gets old answering same questions every week for a few years, and nobody likes people who sign up, make 1 or 2 posts and never show up again.
Have you ever been to another automotive or technical forum? That describes every forum I've ever seen. The difference here is that people actually answer the questions manually each time, instead of lambasting the user for not searching or for not reading the FAQ. IMO, we could simply provide links to the appropriate search or appropriate FAQ entry and be done with it.
noob5,000,000 wrote:I think we should try to build a higher wall around the rants and raves section, so less of the antics spill over into the other sections. ie, let's not derail every thread in the tranny talk and manual driving tips sections anymore :lol: .
Part of a way to do that would be for a moderator to split threads that derail. Also, any users could certainly post "Take that off-topic stuff to the other section!" as part of an on-topic post...sometimes a gentle reminder is enough.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD