What are you listening to?

Off-topic posts, quotes of the day and anything else you just would like to vent to the world. PG-13 or below PLEASE!
ElectroGhandi
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 1994 Isuzu Rodeo V6

Re: What are you listening to?

Post by ElectroGhandi »

watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Post by watkins »

Blaqk Audio - Mute

Blaqk Audio consists of Davey Havok and Jade Puget from AFI. So similar and yet so different in terms of sound and style
eggwich delfiero
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: Mustang GT

Post by eggwich delfiero »

Hey baby have a baby by me....so hilarious.

Hip hop artists have the shortest careers in the music business. Everyone falls off after their second album. I don't know if it's just that people's flows get old that quick or the public just gets bored easily, but there are very, very few hip hop artists that have managed to put out three good albums.

Kanye? Nope
50? Nope
Eminem? Nope.
Wu-Tang, the legends? Nope.
Jay-Z? Maybe, but I don't think so. Too much filler around a few decent singles.
Nas?: Maybe, but not in my book.

Who has put out three stellar albums? (And I mean good quality albums, not just big sellers. Two decent singles used to equal decent sales success pre-Itunes.) In my ultimate expert opinion, the only ones who have done it are:

1. Public Enemy: Yo! Bum Rush the Show, It Takes a Nation of Millions, Fear of a Black Planet (if people want to be dismissive of Y!BRtS I understand)
2. Outkast: Southernplayalistic, ATLiens, Aquemini, Speakerboxx (four!)
3. Tribe Called Quest (People's Instinctive Travels, Low End Theory, Midnight Marauders)
4. The Roots (Do you want more, Illadelph Halflife, Things Fall Apart)
5. 2Pac (All Eyez on Me, Me against the World, Makaveli)
6. Beastie Boys (License to Ill, Check Your Head, Pauls Boutique)
7. Clipse (Lord Willin', Hell Hath No Fury, and Til the Casket Drops...Til the Casket isn't even out til next week but I already know it's going to be siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiick!)

Feel free to challenge any of these and add your own. I think the Beastie Boys music is borderline embarassing now, but can't lie, I loved all three of those albums.
noob5,000,000
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 1986 Mazda RX-7 x2

Post by noob5,000,000 »

I can listen to any Bone Thugs N Harmony CD beginning to end. I do prefer their older stuff over the newer stuff though (Creepin on ah come up, E. 1999 Eternal, Art Of War). Rap nowadays is such a f**k joke, just a bunch of metrosexuals talking about money through 100 different effects :( .
1986 Mazda RX-7 sport - slowly returning to the Earth
1986 Mazda RX-7 base - Project car, ???, In pieces, turbo parts around.
FDSpirit
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2000 Honda Civic Si

Post by FDSpirit »

I agree. Rap is a total joke nowadays. I'm very picky when it comes to artists. Outkast have been one of the ONLY southern groups I can actually tolerate. They're very consistent and they don't use that same recycled beat that is in just about every one hit southern rap wonder. Someone was actually pissed when I said Lil' Wayne is overrated and terrible at rapping. He told me I was "unappreciative". Really? Rappers don't sing. Wtf is with the autotune? Punchlines don't make a good rapper. Consistency and flow are the key. I said people who like him don't have good taste, which was close minded on my part I'll admit. But I see who listens to his craptastic music. Eminem had one or 2 good albums IMO. Slim Shady and the MM LP. I've started listening to older rap/hip-hop because to me it still sounds fresh. No wonder my mom doesn't like this crap on the radio.
2000 Honda Civic Si- Slightly faster than your grandmomma's grocery getter......slightly.
Leedeth
Master Standardshifter

Post by Leedeth »

The first part of this song is genius. Best piece from South Park ever.

ColJessip
Master Standardshifter

Post by ColJessip »

mtheis
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 07 Corolla, 76 Celica

Post by mtheis »

2007 Corolla
2017 Cannondale Quick 3
1995 Tercel
1976 Celica GT
Unofficial SS.com IRC Server
Driving stick since March 20, 2002
Official lurker
ColJessip
Master Standardshifter

Post by ColJessip »

Why can't rappers be this good any more?
FDSpirit
Master Standardshifter

Post by FDSpirit »

I was just listening to 2pac. I think the problem with rappers is that they fixate on the same shit over and over again. I get tired of hearing about killing people, cars, bling, and bitches. I mean really? People are like, "Wayne, Drake, or whatever else new artist is out, doesn't always talk about that." I seriously beg to differ. I hear rap at work once the bosses leave and trust me. It's the same thing with different words and the same recycled beat. And don't forget the autotune.
2000 Honda Civic Si- Slightly faster than your grandmomma's grocery getter......slightly.
noob5,000,000
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 1986 Mazda RX-7 x2

Post by noob5,000,000 »

LOL, Wayne and Drake... they seriously sound exactly the same now, I can barely tell them apart anymore. :lol:

And speaking of Drake... how the hell does an actor from a Canadian high school drama become a famous rapper? It makes me lol so hard :lol: :lol: :lol:.
1986 Mazda RX-7 sport - slowly returning to the Earth
1986 Mazda RX-7 base - Project car, ???, In pieces, turbo parts around.
FDSpirit
Master Standardshifter

Post by FDSpirit »

I find it funny his name is Aubrey :lol: :lol:
ElectroGhandi
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 1994 Isuzu Rodeo V6

Post by ElectroGhandi »

eggwich delfiero
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: Mustang GT

Post by eggwich delfiero »

Cars, chicks, money, partying, defiance. That's what 90% of hip hop is about, and what it's always been about. Sure, you have a more socially conscious artist once in a while, but it's the basic themes that sell records. Lil Wayne can do the conscious thing too, but you sure as hell aren't going to hear it on the radio.

Other basic themes:
Rock and roll: cars, chicks, rocking, love.
R&B: loving, love lost, banging
Metal/Goth/Punk: Anger, angst, disillusionment.

I can't defend autotune, but I think we all romanticize the music of our pasts. Almost everyone I know swears that the best musical period of all time just somehow, by chance, also happened to be the same years they were in high school/college. Huh. I'm guilty of it too.

And I'm not saying you have to like Lil Wayne, but guy has the most elastic flow ever. He can rap behind, in front of, or with the beat, and changes back and forth within the same song and pulls it off. No one else can pull it off. Plus he's managed to get big time while still being a weirdo who kinda looks like a troll doll.

I also love the Clipse, and am super psyched about their album coming out next week. Almost all they talk about is dealing cocaine, cars, and chicks. Do I think dealing coke is a good thing? No, but I really like the Sopranos too, but I don't condone mafia tactics. Love the Godfather too. They are all great entertainment.

ColJessip
Master Standardshifter

Post by ColJessip »

eggwich delfiero wrote: And I'm not saying you have to like Lil Wayne, but guy has the most elastic flow ever.
I'm guessing you havent heard of

Tech N9ne

Krayzie

Tone Deff

And more