Pro life or pro choice?

Off-topic posts, quotes of the day and anything else you just would like to vent to the world. PG-13 or below PLEASE!
SteveUK
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2011 Ford Fiesta Zetec S

Re: Pro life or pro choice?

Post by SteveUK »

I have to say that this is a much bigger issue in the US than it is in GB (not northern Ireland) or Europe.

Most people here are what you all would term Pro-Choice. In UK law the foetus is not alive. It only becomes a "baby" and "alive" after it is born and takes its first breath.

If a pateint came to me wanting an abortion, I would do everything I could to help her. Why? It has absolutely nothing to do with me what she does, but I want to make sure that she is looked after properly.

Here the abortion must be performed before 24 weeks of gestation. However, if the foetus shows extreme disability or is a grave danger to the mother's survival, it can be terminated at any time.

In Northern Ireland (part of the United Kingdom) abortion remains illegal, except if the mother's life is in danger. The same is true for the Republic of Ireland. Women from these two areas that want an abortion have to travel to the UK mainland (England, Scotland or Wales) to have the abortion there.
Nychold
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2007 Scion tC

Post by Nychold »

SteveUK wrote:In Northern Ireland (part of the United Kingdom) abortion remains illegal, except if the mother's life is in danger. The same is true for the Republic of Ireland. Women from these two areas that want an abortion have to travel to the UK mainland (England, Scotland or Wales) to have the abortion there.
And see, that's that will happen if countries ban it. If the US bans it, people will probably buy plane tickets, go to England, find an abortion center (not sure what they're called in the UK) and have the abortion there. Or to Canada, if it's legal there. Or to Mexico. Or to some back alley to a guy with a rusted scalpel. In the end, banning something doesn't make it go away. Hell, look at drugs. Drugs (cocaine, heroine, marijuana, etc.) are illegal, and yet I still see and hear stories of people who get busted for doing it. :roll:
Watercolor: I'm a grade A bone sucker!
Me: :shock: :) :D :twisted:
SteveUK
Master Standardshifter

Post by SteveUK »

Um, they are called hospitals...

But seriously we don't really have abortion centres and things like that here. There of course private hospitals, which I suppose you could term a clinic, but this service is always provided immediately on the NHS so you don't have to pay.

And you're right. Women will either:

a) cross an international border to have an abortion

or

b) go to some back alley and die
Johnf514
Cars: '07 Mazda3, '06 Ninja 636

Post by Johnf514 »

Pro-choice. Your baby, your option.
2007 Mazda3
Mods: 15% tint, Eibach ProKit
2006 Ninja 636
Mods: NOS & sidecar
.insane
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 1998 Ford Contour Slush

Post by .insane »

Did you know that catholic medical schools / hospitals within the United States, do not teach abortions in their curriculum during Medical School and/or Residency, examples that come to mind would be Loyola Univ. Med. Center/ Strich School of Medicine, Georgetown/GTSOM, and Saint Louis Univ. Med. Center/SOM.
Retired:
'98 Ford Contour (AT) - 130,xxx miles (passed to my brother)
'93 Toyota Tercel (4sp MT) - 190,xxx miles (donated)
SteveUK
Master Standardshifter

Post by SteveUK »

That does not suprise me at all. Especially when some schools in the US won't teach evoloution.
noob5,000,000
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 1986 Mazda RX-7 x2

Post by noob5,000,000 »

Pro-choice.
Or Falcon Punch.
1986 Mazda RX-7 sport - slowly returning to the Earth
1986 Mazda RX-7 base - Project car, ???, In pieces, turbo parts around.
.insane
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 1998 Ford Contour Slush

Post by .insane »

SteveUK wrote:That does not suprise me at all. Especially when some schools in the US won't teach evoloution.
The sad part is that the medical schools that I listed are some of the best medical schools in the country, I was talking to an OB/GYN at Loyola (Dr.Muraskas) who has delivered 3 of the worlds smallest babies, and the smallest pair of surviving twins I believe, and he told me that and I was shocked, it doesn't matter if you agree with it or disagree MDs should know how to preform an abortion if they are planning on doing OB, and he seemed to agree with me on that view, that physicians in the OB specialty should be trained in preforming abortions.
Retired:
'98 Ford Contour (AT) - 130,xxx miles (passed to my brother)
'93 Toyota Tercel (4sp MT) - 190,xxx miles (donated)
eaglecatcher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '90 300ZXTT 5MT

Post by eaglecatcher »

SonyAD wrote:Pro-life from a moral/philosophical/religious p.o.v. I'm not sure legislating this point of view is best but ppl. should realise abortion is NOT contraception.

Let's put it this way. Consider your gf's mom would have thought the pregnancy was inconvenient at the time. Or that it came at an inopportune time.
What if Hitler had come at an inopportune time?
Z1 Intake
Z1 2.5" Test pipes
HKS 65mm Hi-Power Exhaust
AMS Short Shifter
SZ Subframe Spacers
HKS Vein Pressure Converter
DDM Tuning 6000k HIDs
tehfade
Senior Standardshifter

Post by tehfade »

This entire debate is stupid, because what the overly-religious pro-life morons don't understand is that they have no right to force their beliefs on anyone else. How can any decent human being believe that they should have any right to impose their belief system on what another person does in the case of accidental pregnancy?
I drive a Phantom Black 2005 GTO M6. I commute in a 2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited.
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Post by watkins »

tehfade wrote:How can any decent human being believe that they should have any right to impose their belief system on what another person does in the case of accidental pregnancy?
Or pretty much any even remotely personal situation for that matter.
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Post by AHTOXA »

tehfade wrote: How can any decent human being believe that they should have any right to impose their belief system on what another person does
There's the whole problem with religion, but that's for the other thread.

I strongly believe that until the child is born, it's not technically a human being and the family/mother has the right to make a decision.
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
watkins
Master Standardshifter

Post by watkins »

If we really want to get down and dirty, I believe in abortion until the offspring is 18 years old :lol: :twisted:
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Post by AHTOXA »

watkins wrote:If we really want to get down and dirty, I believe in abortion until the offspring is 18 years old :lol: :twisted:
Perhaps in this case the wire hanger won't work as efficiently.

Well, there are always guns and emo cults. :lol:
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
watkins
Master Standardshifter

Post by watkins »

Teenage automotive fatalities are just gods way of saying "you should have had an abortion"