Stupid Auto Repair Ideas

Off-topic posts, quotes of the day and anything else you just would like to vent to the world. PG-13 or below PLEASE!
Post Reply
User avatar
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter
Posts: 1741
Joined: Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:55 pm
Cars: 2001 S10 2.2L manual
Location: Detroit MI

Stupid Auto Repair Ideas

Post by ClutchFork »

Another forum I am on has a thread titled "Stupid Thread Ideas." Lots of fun. Maybe something like this will work here. so to start.

Gorilla tape to fabricate a head gasket in a pinch. How much torque on the head bolts to make this one work?
Stick shiftin since '77
theholycow wrote:Why in the world would you even want to be as smooth as an automatic? Might as well just drive an automatic...
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Posts: 11175
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:44 pm
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty
Location: Greater Detroit Area

Re: Stupid Auto Repair Ideas

Post by Rope-Pusher »

ClutchFork wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:04 pm Another forum I am on has a thread titled "Stupid Thread Ideas." Lots of fun. Maybe something like this will work here. so to start.

Gorilla tape to fabricate a head gasket in a pinch. How much torque on the head bolts to make this one work?
Image
In a pinch you can just keep running it with the leaky head gasket and pour in coolant or Earl or whatever it starts to run low on.
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Posts: 11175
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:44 pm
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty
Location: Greater Detroit Area

Re: Stupid Auto Repair Ideas

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Speaking of stupid ideas, I would enjoy being a fly on the wall at Honda when they discuss how they had to recall a butt-load of cars because gasoline harmed the fuel pumps.

https://www.autoweek.com/news/industry- ... mp-recall/
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
User avatar
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter
Posts: 1741
Joined: Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:55 pm
Cars: 2001 S10 2.2L manual
Location: Detroit MI

Re: Stupid Auto Repair Ideas

Post by ClutchFork »

When I was 18 years old i had a beater Ford. The power steering pump died, think the bearing seized or something. We yanked the pump, and plugged the lines, then found an old alternator in my friends garage that had a good bearing, bolted it in where the PS pump had been and stretched the v-belt to it so the real alternator would work. Pop the hood and you saw two alternators, one a dummy for the pulley. Oh, the steering wheel was distorting as I did parking maneuvers in that car. PS gearing is not the same as manual steering gearing. The stupid part was not replacing the PS pump. Needed a gorilla to steer it after that.
Stick shiftin since '77
theholycow wrote:Why in the world would you even want to be as smooth as an automatic? Might as well just drive an automatic...
User avatar
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter
Posts: 1741
Joined: Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:55 pm
Cars: 2001 S10 2.2L manual
Location: Detroit MI

Re: Stupid Auto Repair Ideas

Post by ClutchFork »

Rope-Pusher wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 12:38 pm
ClutchFork wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:04 pm Another forum I am on has a thread titled "Stupid Thread Ideas." Lots of fun. Maybe something like this will work here. so to start.

Gorilla tape to fabricate a head gasket in a pinch. How much torque on the head bolts to make this one work?
Image
In a pinch you can just keep running it with the leaky head gasket and pour in coolant or Earl or whatever it starts to run low on.
Wow, you just got me to thinking of another great idea. We can use that technique to get rid of used antifreeze, but instead of a head gasket leak we can just pour is slowly into the intake while keeping the rpms up around 4000 and blow that stuff off. EPA won't let you pour it in the gutter, but never said you cant suck it through the intake. It magically disappears.
Stick shiftin since '77
theholycow wrote:Why in the world would you even want to be as smooth as an automatic? Might as well just drive an automatic...
User avatar
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Posts: 7628
Joined: Sun Jun 05, 2005 11:35 pm
Cars: '13 ES 350; '07 Altima
Location: Dutchess County

Re: Stupid Auto Repair Ideas

Post by potownrob »

Rope-Pusher wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 12:38 pm
ClutchFork wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:04 pm Another forum I am on has a thread titled "Stupid Thread Ideas." Lots of fun. Maybe something like this will work here. so to start.

Gorilla tape to fabricate a head gasket in a pinch. How much torque on the head bolts to make this one work?
Image
In a pinch you can just keep running it with the leaky head gasket and pour in coolant or Earl or whatever it starts to run low on.
seams like a goed whey two keep de tail gators at bae
Last edited by potownrob on Sun Apr 11, 2021 3:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
User avatar
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Posts: 7628
Joined: Sun Jun 05, 2005 11:35 pm
Cars: '13 ES 350; '07 Altima
Location: Dutchess County

Re: Stupid Auto Repair Ideas

Post by potownrob »

ClutchFork wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 12:38 am
Rope-Pusher wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 12:38 pm
ClutchFork wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:04 pm Another forum I am on has a thread titled "Stupid Thread Ideas." Lots of fun. Maybe something like this will work here. so to start.

Gorilla tape to fabricate a head gasket in a pinch. How much torque on the head bolts to make this one work?
Image
In a pinch you can just keep running it with the leaky head gasket and pour in coolant or Earl or whatever it starts to run low on.
Wow, you just got me to thinking of another great idea. We can use that technique to get rid of used antifreeze, but instead of a head gasket leak we can just pour is slowly into the intake while keeping the rpms up around 4000 and blow that stuff off. EPA won't let you pour it in the gutter, but never said you cant suck it through the intake. It magically disappears.
doughn't fur get too cheque de blinker flue id to :!: :shock:
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Posts: 11175
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:44 pm
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty
Location: Greater Detroit Area

Re: Stupid Auto Repair Ideas

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Summon on a Canadian comedy show once came up with the idea of allowing toxic waste fluids to slowly drip out of a tanker truck as it drove across the country, such that in no one place was enough fluid released that it violated any statutes.
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
User avatar
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter
Posts: 1741
Joined: Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:55 pm
Cars: 2001 S10 2.2L manual
Location: Detroit MI

Re: Stupid Auto Repair Ideas

Post by ClutchFork »

Rope-Pusher wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:41 am Summon on a Canadian comedy show once came up with the idea of allowing toxic waste fluids to slowly drip out of a tanker truck as it drove across the country, such that in no one place was enough fluid released that it violated any statutes.
Har har har. Kind of like the old road draft tubes to ventilate crankcases before someone invented the PCV system.

They used to say dilution is the solution to pollution.
Stick shiftin since '77
theholycow wrote:Why in the world would you even want to be as smooth as an automatic? Might as well just drive an automatic...
noob5,000,000
Master Standardshifter
Posts: 9378
Joined: Wed Nov 15, 2006 10:57 pm
Cars: 1986 Mazda RX-7 x2
Location: Sterling Heights, Michigan
Contact:

Re: Stupid Auto Repair Ideas

Post by noob5,000,000 »

When my friend somehow blew a hole in his Jetta's transmission, I stuck a square of beer can over the hole with a bunch of RTV. It probably would have held up but he gave the car to a charity shortly after.
1986 Mazda RX-7 sport - slowly returning to the Earth
1986 Mazda RX-7 base - Project car, ???, In pieces, turbo parts around.
User avatar
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter
Posts: 1741
Joined: Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:55 pm
Cars: 2001 S10 2.2L manual
Location: Detroit MI

Re: Stupid Auto Repair Ideas

Post by ClutchFork »

noob5,000,000 wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:26 am When my friend somehow blew a hole in his Jetta's transmission,
Now there is an interesting story. I heard some FWDs if you spin the tire like mad trying to get unstuck there is a pin or something holding the gear to the shaft and the pin will let go from the spinning and puncture the case. Perhaps that is what happened.

Once when I was an irresponsible young punk I went to Colorado with a friend who was also irresponsible. Driving in the mountains and on Sunday the one of the brakes was having problems, we pulled the drum and the pin that holds the shoe to the backing plate was broken and got between the pad and the drum or some thing like that. There were no part stores open in this small mountain town, so we took a nail, beat one end flat like the end of the pin (or more likely just bent the end over) and mounted the shoe to the backing plate with it. Lasted the rest of the trip, so maybe wasn't so stupid after all.
Stick shiftin since '77
theholycow wrote:Why in the world would you even want to be as smooth as an automatic? Might as well just drive an automatic...
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Posts: 11175
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:44 pm
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty
Location: Greater Detroit Area

Re: Stupid Auto Repair Ideas

Post by Rope-Pusher »

ClutchFork wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:41 am
noob5,000,000 wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:26 am When my friend somehow blew a hole in his Jetta's transmission,
Now there is an interesting story. I heard some FWDs if you spin the tire like mad trying to get unstuck there is a pin or something holding the gear to the shaft and the pin will let go from the spinning and puncture the case. Perhaps that is what happened.

Once when I was an irresponsible young punk I went to Colorado with a friend who was also irresponsible. Driving in the mountains and on Sunday the one of the brakes was having problems, we pulled the drum and the pin that holds the shoe to the backing plate was broken and got between the pad and the drum or some thing like that. There were no part stores open in this small mountain town, so we took a nail, beat one end flat like the end of the pin (or more likely just bent the end over) and mounted the shoe to the backing plate with it. Lasted the rest of the trip, so maybe wasn't so stupid after all.
Yes, especially when a vehicle is new, and the parts aren't burnished, one, or two, might seize a pinion gear to the shaft in the differential housing (The spinning flings all the oil out of the diff and the pinion gear interface goes dry). Then the shaft will be spinning instead of sitting still and it shears the pin retaining it and then it starts to inch its way out of the differential, machining a slot in the transmission case until it ventilates. Then the fluid all runs out and someone purchases a boat for the owner of a local transmission shop.

I took my Mom's Ford Pimple Wagon to the Midas Muffler Shop because the exhaust pipe was imitating Swiss Cheese. They called me into the service bay to show me the pin retaining the rear drum brake shoe had failed and the shoe was starting to wear unevenly. They didn't even mention the exhaust system. I told them that the brake shoe retainer pin was something I could fix and asked them "But what about the exhaust system?". I was really surprised that they heard the brake shoe making a funny noise when the exhaust was leaking noise. I was maybe even more surprised that they didn't call me back there to show me what pipes were "Holy" and to discuss how much a new exhaust system was going to cost.

Hay Noob - wear ya bean? Is that "Hot Chick" still living across the street from you?
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Posts: 15824
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2007 12:42 am
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon
Location: Salem, MA

Re: Stupid Auto Repair Ideas

Post by watkins »

Rope-Pusher wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:40 pm Hay Noob - wear ya bean? Is that "Hot Chick" still living across the street from you?
Holy shit! It's been over a year
noob5,000,000
Master Standardshifter
Posts: 9378
Joined: Wed Nov 15, 2006 10:57 pm
Cars: 1986 Mazda RX-7 x2
Location: Sterling Heights, Michigan
Contact:

Re: Stupid Auto Repair Ideas

Post by noob5,000,000 »

Rope-Pusher wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:40 pm
Hay Noob - wear ya bean? Is that "Hot Chick" still living across the street from you?
Uhh, I don't understand the reference :oops: .
1986 Mazda RX-7 sport - slowly returning to the Earth
1986 Mazda RX-7 base - Project car, ???, In pieces, turbo parts around.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Posts: 11175
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:44 pm
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty
Location: Greater Detroit Area

Re: Stupid Auto Repair Ideas

Post by Rope-Pusher »

noob5,000,000 wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:23 pm
Rope-Pusher wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:40 pm
Hay Noob - wear ya bean? Is that "Hot Chick" still living across the street from you?
Uhh, I don't understand the reference :oops: .
Your neighbor Adam - he has a last name, right? ...and it sounds like "Hot Chick"?
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
Post Reply