using engine brake and rev matching

Read the FAQ and still not sure about something? Want to shift faster? Post here.
hockeystyx16
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 95 probe GT

Post by hockeystyx16 »

dont they get free scheduled maintenance when you lease a car. my stepbrother got a lease on 07 avenger (and i got the acura out of the deal) and all of his maintenance is covered. he just gotta take the car to the dealer when the paper says.

Aaron. skanks, skunks, whatever, stfu :lol:

i was thiking about it, and how americans think gas is a on/off button, half of them also think brakes are on/off too. then you wonder why so many accidents when its raining or snowing, people have no concept of control moderation. and they got ABS placebo all up their ass making them feel safe and warm.
-Roman
95 Probelem GT
2000Hcivic
Junior Standardshifter

Post by 2000Hcivic »

so would downsshifting or engine braking i mean does it use gas since the rpms drop higher for example going at 1500 rpm and drop gear and suddenly drops to 3000rpm i mean is that gas being wasted ?
2000 Honda Civic EX all stock
jomotopia
Cars: 04 STi, 05 Matrix XR (AT)

Post by jomotopia »

2000Hcivic wrote:so would downsshifting or engine braking i mean does it use gas since the rpms drop higher for example going at 1500 rpm and drop gear and suddenly drops to 3000rpm i mean is that gas being wasted ?
in most modern fuel injected cars, if you are above a certain rpm (say 1500) and completely off the throttle, car shuts off fuel delivery and no gas is used.

please use punctuation. ;)
2013 Subaru Impreza WRX in Orange
slickRick
Senior Standardshifter

Post by slickRick »

I believe on most cars the ECU cuts fuel and the motion of the wheels drives the engine.
Hey... shift happens!
2004 Mazda3 S ~ 5 SP MT
gage
Senior Standardshifter

Post by gage »

I have to agree with Prodigal Son here. If you have read the news you know Austin TX is getting lots of rain over the past few weeks, and last night was a torrential sideways downpour. I was on the freeway and numerous spots had in my estimation 3/4 - 1" of water and I had my hazards on at one point. I ended up staying in 6th gear for most of the trek at about 40 mph, if i downshifted to get up to 50-60 i had to maintain slight gas to cancel out the engine braking.
eaglecatcher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '90 300ZXTT 5MT

Post by eaglecatcher »

gage wrote:I have to agree with Prodigal Son here. If you have read the news you know Austin TX is getting lots of rain over the past few weeks, and last night was a torrential sideways downpour. I was on the freeway and numerous spots had in my estimation 3/4 - 1" of water and I had my hazards on at one point. I ended up staying in 6th gear for most of the trek at about 40 mph, if i downshifted to get up to 50-60 i had to maintain slight gas to cancel out the engine braking.
we've gotten tons as well up here in dallas. We also own some property down in horshoe bay in marble falls, where they got like 18 inches of rain overnight. Luckily we don't have anything built on the land, otherwise it probably woudl have washed away.
Z1 Intake
Z1 2.5" Test pipes
HKS 65mm Hi-Power Exhaust
AMS Short Shifter
SZ Subframe Spacers
HKS Vein Pressure Converter
DDM Tuning 6000k HIDs
Oldladykiller
Senior Standardshifter

Post by Oldladykiller »

if you're only going down 1 gear at a time all u need to do is kind of tap the throttle, not too much but enough to rev it.
2000Hcivic
Junior Standardshifter

Post by 2000Hcivic »

what do you mean by throlle ? also what i was aking was that when the rpms go up does the car use more gas since the engine is obiously spinning faster. this is even though i am not stepping on the gas, because i am downshifting from from 4th to 2nd. Also should there always be a pull on the body when downshifting
2000 Honda Civic EX all stock
Edd
Junior Standardshifter

Post by Edd »

The throttle controls how much air/fuel is let into the engine, which controls it's RPMs. In a car, the gas pedal (AKA accelerator - but I hate that word as it's not exactly true) does this.

While your engine may spin up, it's the wheels spinning the engine, so it's not necessarily firing on all those strokes. Many cars have DFCO (Decceleration Fuel Cutoff) which will turn the injectors and spark plugs off to save fuel when the engine RPMs are above a given number and the car is in gear with no throttle input.
jomotopia
Cars: 04 STi, 05 Matrix XR (AT)

Post by jomotopia »

2000Hcivic wrote:also what i was aking was that when the rpms go up does the car use more gas since the engine is obiously spinning faster. this is even though i am not stepping on the gas, because i am downshifting from from 4th to 2nd.
jomotopia wrote:in most modern fuel injected cars, if you are above a certain rpm (say 1500) and completely off the throttle, car shuts off fuel delivery and no gas is used.
how much gas is used is a combination of RPM and throttle (the pedal on the right). and i think load plays a part too. you can be at high rpm and off the throttle and use no gas. you can be at low rpm and have the throttle floored and use a lot of gas.
2000Hcivic wrote:Also should there always be a pull on the body when downshifting
if you rev match correctly it should be smooth.
2013 Subaru Impreza WRX in Orange
Oldladykiller
Senior Standardshifter

Post by Oldladykiller »

2000Hcivic wrote:what do you mean by throlle ? also what i was aking was that when the rpms go up does the car use more gas since the engine is obiously spinning faster. this is even though i am not stepping on the gas, because i am downshifting from from 4th to 2nd. Also should there always be a pull on the body when downshifting
i would expect a check engine light to pop up pretty soon driving like that.
either rev your downshifts or dont downshift at all. and going from 4th to 2nd at 40mph without even rev matching is going to break something.

to make it easier to learn, start downshifting one gear at a time you will get used to tapping the throttle for it just perfect. once u got that u can start going down 2 gears and blipping it harder obviously. i usually double clutch if i downshift more than 1 gear. single clutch if only going down one gear its fast. if the car ever jerks then u didnt do it good enough.
hockeystyx16
Master Standardshifter

Post by hockeystyx16 »

when i 5-2 DC around 50ish, i have to floor the gas for a good second to raise the rpms up. from under 2000 to over 4500, thats a bit of a blip. fun as hell tho when you have cars next to you, they look over like WTF that car just randomly revved up so high
-Roman
95 Probelem GT
eaglecatcher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '90 300ZXTT 5MT

Post by eaglecatcher »

hockeystyx16 wrote:when i 5-2 DC around 50ish, i have to floor the gas for a good second to raise the rpms up. from under 2000 to over 4500, thats a bit of a blip. fun as hell tho when you have cars next to you, they look over like WTF that car just randomly revved up so high
yeah, for stuff like that it does take a pretty good stba at the thorttle.

Sometimes I'll be cruisingin 4th gear, and I'll dc downshift to 2nd, but my engine wont rev up for a sec, I think thats due to the fuel cutoff thingy.
Z1 Intake
Z1 2.5" Test pipes
HKS 65mm Hi-Power Exhaust
AMS Short Shifter
SZ Subframe Spacers
HKS Vein Pressure Converter
DDM Tuning 6000k HIDs
Edd
Junior Standardshifter

Post by Edd »

You can rev-match a downshift without blipping the throttle. For example, you are coming up to a corner where you have to giveway. You are in 4th. Start braking, clutch in, shift to 2nd (while continuing to brake). When you reach 10-15kph, you will be at the right speed for the engine's idle and the clutch will engage smoothly. Meanwhile, you have been slow enough to check if any traffic is coming, in which case you can easily stop as your foot is on the BRAKE, not the throttle. :)
hockeystyx16
Master Standardshifter

Post by hockeystyx16 »

you can do that, but you gotta be going real slow in 4th to where your turning as fast as your idle rpms in 2nd.
if your idle in 2nd is about 10mph, 10mph in 4th is borderline lugging.
-Roman
95 Probelem GT