type of gas for a 5 speed

Read the FAQ and still not sure about something? Want to shift faster? Post here.
2000Hcivic
Junior Standardshifter

type of gas for a 5 speed

Post by 2000Hcivic »

hey i have been using 97 supreme gas fron chevron ever since i bought my civic. its a 4 cylinder 1.6 L two door coupe 5 speed. its got 96K miles on it cause i bought it used. now that gas prices went up i use 87 regular from shell. is there a difference i mean i know there is a difference in the price but i am concerned about power since i have a small engine and also it is a used car.
2000 Honda Civic EX all stock
hockeystyx16
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 95 probe GT

Post by hockeystyx16 »

holy sh1t, 97 gas. damn. thats like racing gas lol

your civic will be fine with 87. car is made for economy, and if it demands premium, thats not economy.

look in you car manual. i bet it says use 87.
-Roman
95 Probelem GT
SteveUK
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2011 Ford Fiesta Zetec S

Post by SteveUK »

We only have two sorts of petrol here and they are Unleaded 95 RON and Super Unleaded 98 RON. My car manufacterer says that 95 is what I should use, but if I want to put in 98 that's fine but it won't make much difference.

When you consider that Super is about 10p more than normal, I never use it.
Ecmslee
Senior Standardshifter

Post by Ecmslee »

SteveUK
Master Standardshifter

Post by SteveUK »

Oh I forgot to say, a 1.6litre engine is considered large over here!
2000Hcivic
Junior Standardshifter

Post by 2000Hcivic »

yea my civic manual recomends 86 or higher but i am just worried about th engine getting full of gunk from 87 gas i mean is this even possible that is why i was using chevron because it has techron to preotect engine
2000 Honda Civic EX all stock
eaglecatcher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '90 300ZXTT 5MT

Post by eaglecatcher »

SteveUK wrote:Oh I forgot to say, a 1.6litre engine is considered large over here!
haha, 7L is considreed large over here.
lol
Z1 Intake
Z1 2.5" Test pipes
HKS 65mm Hi-Power Exhaust
AMS Short Shifter
SZ Subframe Spacers
HKS Vein Pressure Converter
DDM Tuning 6000k HIDs
hockeystyx16
Master Standardshifter

Post by hockeystyx16 »

some of these days when my 2.7 V6 takes a big gulp out of my gas tank i wish i had a small 4 banger. at least id have a excuse for driving conservatively lol

over here you say to people your car has a 1.6 liter engine, they will laugh. you throw a 'B16' name at them, they think your car is sweet. funny how lame people are and how much difference a name makes. guess they dont see the pattern D15=1.5m B16=1.6 B18=1.8, blah blah, honda torqueless wonders blah blah

last time i bought gas was thursday, here are gas prices (dollars/gallon) i got lucky and ran across a gas station with 10 cents cheaper gas than other gas stations around.
87 = 3.37
89= 3.47
93= 3.57
diesel = 2.78 that guy with a F450 superduty sequential twin turbo diesel V10 is laughing right now :evil:
E85 = 3.17

i wonder how hard would it be to convert a car to run on propane...rip out the air box, clamp a hose on the throttle body, route the hose to a propane tank in the trunk. unplug the fuel injectors. if i had a junk car sitting somewhere id be willing to try. does propane need oxygen to burn or does it have oxygen in the molecule structure?
-Roman
95 Probelem GT
eaglecatcher
Master Standardshifter

Post by eaglecatcher »

hockeystyx16 wrote:some of these days when my 2.7 V6 takes a big gulp out of my gas tank i wish i had a small 4 banger. at least id have a excuse for driving conservatively lol

over here you say to people your car has a 1.6 liter engine, they will laugh. you throw a 'B16' name at them, they think your car is sweet. funny how lame people are and how much difference a name makes. guess they dont see the pattern D15=1.5m B16=1.6 B18=1.8, blah blah, honda torqueless wonders blah blah

last time i bought gas was thursday, here are gas prices (dollars/gallon) i got lucky and ran across a gas station with 10 cents cheaper gas than other gas stations around.
87 = 3.37
89= 3.47
93= 3.57
diesel = 2.78 that guy with a F450 superduty sequential twin turbo diesel V10 is laughing right now :evil:
E85 = 3.17

i wonder how hard would it be to convert a car to run on propane...rip out the air box, clamp a hose on the throttle body, route the hose to a propane tank in the trunk. unplug the fuel injectors. if i had a junk car sitting somewhere id be willing to try. does propane need oxygen to burn or does it have oxygen in the molecule structure?
VG30DETT=3.0L Twin Turbo
RB26DETT=2.6L Twin Turbo
etc etc

diesel here is more expensive than regular gas now, or actually more like about the same as regular, but they stil get better mileage than I do, so i can't say anything.

Its really bad when my 3.8L takes a big chug of gas from my tank. one WOT run up to redline through my gear on a mile long strip of road, and I use up about a gallon of my tank, seriously.
Z1 Intake
Z1 2.5" Test pipes
AMS Short Shifter
SZ Subframe Spacers
DDM Tuning 6000k HIDs
SteveUK
Master Standardshifter

Post by SteveUK »

2000Hcivic wrote:yea my civic manual recomends 86 or higher but i am just worried about th engine getting full of gunk from 87 gas i mean is this even possible that is why i was using chevron because it has techron to preotect engine
Put in what your manual says. Petrol is petrol. Whether you get it from Shell, Esso, BP or Tesco like I do.
hockeystyx16
Master Standardshifter

Post by hockeystyx16 »

eaglecatcher wrote:ts really bad when my 3.8L takes a big chug of gas from my tank. one WOT run up to redline through my gear on a mile long strip of road, and I use up about a gallon of my tank, seriously.
put a brick under your gas pedal 8)
-Roman
95 Probelem GT
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

2000Hcivic wrote:yea my civic manual recomends 86 or higher but i am just worried about th engine getting full of gunk from 87 gas i mean is this even possible that is why i was using chevron because it has techron to preotect engine
Your engine is designed to run on gas around the 87 octane level. If it pings or hesitates unless you run mid-grade or premium, there's something wrong with your car. When I had my Civic there was a terrible pinging noise when I'd accelerate up hills. It went away when I ran premium. When I had my timing belt changed my mechanic commented on how far off the valve timing was. Since then the car didn't ping at all on regular gas 8) .
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
eaglecatcher
Master Standardshifter

Post by eaglecatcher »

thats a good idea, and I really might do that, except if I really need to downshift and pass some mofo if my lane is ending...

crunch crunch goes my car and part of my financing for my Z.
Z1 Intake
Z1 2.5" Test pipes
AMS Short Shifter
SZ Subframe Spacers
DDM Tuning 6000k HIDs
jomotopia
Cars: 04 STi, 05 Matrix XR (AT)

Post by jomotopia »

using a higher octane than what your car requires is pretty much just a waste of money. for a regular civic use 87. where are you located that you have 97 octane?
2013 Subaru Impreza WRX in Orange
Sypher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 05 Mazda 3 GT

Post by Sypher »

Poor D16 :lol: 97 is overkill on that little car. Your car is designed to run at 87 octane... use it! :lol: Unless like Potownrob said, if you get pinging