FRICTION POINT

Read the FAQ and still not sure about something? Want to shift faster? Post here.

do you have a need for speed?

always
25%
sometimes
75%
never
No votes

Total votes: 20

ReckLess
Master Standardshifter

FRICTION POINT

Post by ReckLess »

diffrent cars have diffrent friction point right? how do you get the friction point generally? im so used to the car im using right now that when i try other cars i feel like a newbie...
The YoYo Freak
Junior Standardshifter

Post by The YoYo Freak »

I'm still learning, so I try to get to the friction point as quick as I can without stalling, and then hit the gas and I'm off.

As far as need for speed goes, sometimes I like to get going quick, other times... I could care less. :D

Jared
jessielange
Junior Standardshifter

Post by jessielange »

Yes different cars have different friction points. A friend's blazer has it very high, the pedal is almost all the way up, while I drove a Toyota where the friction point was almost to the ground, and mine, slightly above half way.

The best way to know where the friction point is let the clutch out really slowly, when you start rolling, thats the friction point. That's all I can say really, just got to get used to it on whatever car you drive.
ReckLess
Master Standardshifter

re:

Post by ReckLess »

almost the way up? wow thats tough...
:twisted:
Gmc
Junior Standardshifter

Post by Gmc »

When I'm driving a car I've never driven before, I usually find the friction point by using this method:

Make sure the handbrakes up, shift into gear, then apply some gas, and lift off the clutch til you feel the car jolt a little, then push the clutch back down, and lift to the point where the car jolts again, keep doing that a few times til you've got used to where it is. Works for me :)
IMBoring25

Post by IMBoring25 »

It took me significant seat time in about four MTX vehicles before I became truly comfortable getting into a strange MTX vehicle with a reasonable expectation I wouldn't embarass myself too badly. When you're learning, you learn the friction point of the car you're driving. When you start driiving significant mileage in several different vehicles, you learn to adapt your technique to different vehicles and different friction points, or at least that was my experience.

With time, it should even come that you can get a feel for the clutch based on how the vehicle feels pulling out of the parking space and maybe on one or two subsequent starts and be reasonably comfortable running the vehicle around from there, but that does take time and work on many different vehicles (Valets can get good at this fast if they have a modicum of concern for the health of the customers' clutches).

YMMV.
scionkid
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 04 xB

Post by scionkid »

you can get a feel for the clutch based on how the vehicle feels pulling out of the parking space and maybe on one or two subsequent starts
I don't know about that. When you fire up a cold engine, the rev can be way above idle. This is like adding gas before letting out the clutch, which hides the friction point. My point is that you really can't find the friction point without warming up for a mile or 2. Then you can find the friction point. (A valet who takes a car for a mile or 2 is an unemployed one).
ReckLess
Master Standardshifter

re:

Post by ReckLess »

does warp up really makes a diffrent?? i read that because the engine oil is so advance.. that we don't really need to warm up just run slow about 5 minutes...
:twisted:
southcali692003
Junior Standardshifter

Standard friction point...

Post by southcali692003 »

the standard friction point is half way between disangagement and engagement. ps. disengaging the clutch is when the pedal is pressed all the way down, the clutch is fully engaged when the pedal is fully released.
adamkpro3
Junior Standardshifter

Post by adamkpro3 »

so is it just because all cars are different or as the cluth wears does the friction point change? Just wondering because mine is almost all the way at the bottom of the pedal.
coolguy
Master Standardshifter

Post by coolguy »

I am pretty sure the position of the friction point changes when u adjust the clutch (with a little foot movement from u some clutches CAN even adjust themselves). The clutch wear probably won't change the position, but rather eventually wear out the whole friction point.

And yes, different cars definitely have different positions of the friction point. I heard some Toyota cars have their friction points very close to the floor too...