Did I damage my transmission?

Read the FAQ and still not sure about something? Want to shift faster? Post here.
six
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2015 Chevrolet SS 6MT

Did I damage my transmission?

Post by six »

Hi Everyone. I'm not new here (lurker) but this is my first post.

I've been driving standard for around a month now. A few days ago, I was downshifting from 5-4, but missed 4th and accidentally grabbed 2nd. Here was my process: At ~ 50 MPH, needed to slow down -> clutch in, pulled out of 5th -> clutch out to rev-match -> clutch in -> shifted to 4th, but missed and hit 2nd -> clutch out. I heard a loud bang, and immediately clutched back in, but not before I was thrown into the windshield (had I not had my seatbelt on). I was a bit shaken up, and was slowed considerably, so I shifted to 3rd and went on my way. It shifted fine afterwards, nothing seems to be wrong.

Is there something that I should be worried about? Thanks.
victim
Senior Standardshifter

Re: Did I damage my transmission?

Post by victim »

six wrote:Hi Everyone. I'm not new here (lurker) but this is my first post.

I've been driving standard for around a month now. A few days ago, I was downshifting from 5-4, but missed 4th and accidentally grabbed 2nd. Here was my process: At ~ 50 MPH, needed to slow down -> clutch in, pulled out of 5th -> clutch out to rev-match -> clutch in -> shifted to 4th, but missed and hit 2nd -> clutch out. I heard a loud bang, and immediately clutched back in, but not before I was thrown into the windshield (had I not had my seatbelt on). I was a bit shaken up, and was slowed considerably, so I shifted to 3rd and went on my way. It shifted fine afterwards, nothing seems to be wrong.

Is there something that I should be worried about? Thanks.
if everything works fine, then you should be OK.

im your going 50 MPH, and want to shift into 4th, you dont need to revmatch, just press the clutch in, and bring it down from 5th (it is spring loaded, so it will automatically put it into 4th for you.)
six
Master Standardshifter

Post by six »

What was the loud "bang" sound that I heard? I've read that the bang is also heard during high-rpm clutch-drop launches. Is it the same bang, and what causes that sound?
victim
Senior Standardshifter

Post by victim »

six wrote:What was the loud "bang" sound that I heard? I've read that the bang is also heard during high-rpm clutch-drop launches. Is it the same bang, and what causes that sound?
your tranny snapping the engine up really fast from the RPM's
Hatchman
Master Standardshifter

Post by Hatchman »

you dont need to revmatch, just press the clutch in, and bring it down from 5th
Not rev-match for a downshift? Doesn't this contradict the overwhelming consensus of this forum?
Sypher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 05 Mazda 3 GT

Post by Sypher »

jvf1mikey wrote:
you dont need to revmatch, just press the clutch in, and bring it down from 5th
Not rev-match for a downshift? Doesn't this contradict the overwhelming consensus of this forum?
I think he meant to say you don't have to pull the stick left and down... I dunno how he got left and down confused with rev-matching lol
IMBoring25

Post by IMBoring25 »

Under NO CIRCUMSTANCES should you push left to get to the center gate.
s4rge
Senior Standardshifter

Post by s4rge »

=) your car is fine most likly :D
1995 Black Mustang GT Vert- Current Mustang
1997 Red Mustang GT Vert- Gone but not forgotten. Red Car in avatar
starshifter
Senior Standardshifter

Post by starshifter »

Most 5-speed cars redline at 60MPH or higher in 2nd. If you have a low-powered 6-speed, maybe 50MPH. So, a downshift to 2nd at 50MPH, although it will cause a jerk if you're not rev-matching properly, isn't a cause for concern.
six
Master Standardshifter

Post by six »

Okay. Thanks. It's good to know that I didn't break it.

And BTW, it's a 6-speed. I redline at ~ 50MPH in 2nd gear (estimated, never been there). I was rev-matching, but for 4th, not for 2nd. And what I felt was more than just a "jerk," it felt like a head-on collision with a ghost car. It almost gave me reverse whiplash. That's what I call engine-braking, hehe
screenname
Master Standardshifter

Post by screenname »

I got that loud bang when I dumped the clutch in my Civic Hybrid. It didn't sound too good...

That's 2 edits in one day... this headache is really killing me.
knight
Junior Standardshifter

Post by knight »

lol going around a sharp bend I was trying to DS in to 3rd but let the clutch out to early... Heard a huge crunch and the car lurched... I pulled over and popped the hood, all the while my friend was laughing his ass off. (I felt like such an idiot now that I think about it, he was laughing cause I didn't know I just grinded my gears :oops: . every one talks about grinding geard as being a bad thing but not the end of the world... but that noise sure does sound like the end of the world :cry: ) point is just drive for a couple miles or have some one else do it and see if they or you feel anything diffrent than the usual.
well that's all my noobishness :lol:
Johnf514
Cars: '07 Mazda3, '06 Ninja 636

Post by Johnf514 »

Everyone goes through it once, knight. Fortunately, gearboxes are meant to take a bit of (unintentional) abuse. To really destroy them, you have to be on a mission.

So . . . no missioning, ok? :P
2007 Mazda3
Mods: 15% tint, Eibach ProKit
2006 Ninja 636
Mods: NOS & sidecar