Upshifting Technique Question

Read the FAQ and still not sure about something? Want to shift faster? Post here.
DDB91
Junior Standardshifter
Cars: 1

Upshifting Technique Question

Post by DDB91 »

Hi,

I've been trying to smooth out upshifts however there's so much information online and I want to clarify a few things.

Most information says to release throttle completely when upshifting however when causally driving I feel rushed to change gear to catch the rpms coming down. This is random, depending on cold engine and air con etc and the slow rate being unpredictable causes the rpm to be too low sometimes and not others making muscle memory side difficult.

I've been trialing easing off the gas rather than releasing completely and then keeping it where the rpm would need to be. This way I can take as long as needed to shift and it's always smooth. I'm worried this causes more wear though? Is the wear less because the rpm is matched or does having a slight touch on the gas still affect anything else.

Thanks
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Re: Upshifting Technique Question

Post by tankinbeans »

I would say that as long as you're not keeping the clutch partially engaged for an extended period of time you're fine. Every car is different and mine tends to pulse the throttle up slightly during upshifting maneuvers.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
DDB91
Junior Standardshifter

Post by DDB91 »

Thanks for the input and nope the clutch comes straight up smoothly so all good then. How do you mean your throttle pulses?
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter

Post by tankinbeans »

When I first disengage the clutch the revs increase briefly and then I can them on the way down.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
DDB91
Junior Standardshifter

Post by DDB91 »

Oh I understand now. Thanks for the input before, I was just concerned about causing some wear and tear unknowingly . With what you said seems its not the case as long as I'm not half engaging the clutch for a unnecessary amount of time while holding the revs at the right spot.
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter

Post by tankinbeans »

You're very welcome. It's normal too worry about clutch wear, but it seems that too often people worry unnecessarily. My intro thread is hilarious to read looking back on it. I was concerned about everything. I've gotten to the point where I just go with the flow.

Out of curiosity, what do you drive?
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
DDB91
Junior Standardshifter

Post by DDB91 »

Haha yeah worrying about everything sounds very familiar ^^. This is just a corsa but I got it new hoping for a cheap run around but couldn't naturally drive it eco.

What is it you're driving?
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter

Post by tankinbeans »

I have a Mazda6. It's a pretty sweet ride and I like driving it tons.
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

DDB91 wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:01 pmIs the wear less because the rpm is matched or does having a slight touch on the gas still affect anything else.
Indeed, the wear is less because the RPM is matched.

With practice this will likely cease to be an issue, as you will probably shift more quickly and learn to overlap your actions instead of separating them into distinct "one-two-three" type procedures with time wasted between steps. Most of all it will cease to be an issue because you will be comfortable and you will cease worrying!

Besides holding the accelerator pedal for steady RPM, you can accomplish the same thing by stepping on the accelerator pedal just before the clutch really begins to grab, instead of waiting until after. I mean, come on, you're trying to accelerate, right? Make your right foot as eager as a 7-year-old on Christmas morning! Jump the gun a little. I don't mean a whole second; I mean a fraction of a second before...so instead of your left foot reaching the top before your right foot presses on its pedal, both feet are in motion simultaneously. Like learning the rest of this stuff, doing this will be clunky at first but you'll get better. This will likely come naturally to you after lots of practice, just as overlapping steps and moving the shift lever more quickly will.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2008 Fusion 2.3L manual

Post by ClutchFork »

For fun sometime you can on a hard run, not even take your foot off the gas while at lightning speed, hitting the clutch and yanking it into second and releasing the clutch. I recommend this on the 1-2 shift as you are far less likely to have a missed shift. I tend to do this on freeway ramps when someone thinks they will jump ahead and zip in front of me. Why? Fun I guess, but also if they have a stink bomb that I don't want to ride behind and breathe their exhaust. :D
Stick shiftin since '77
theholycow wrote:Why in the world would you even want to be as smooth as an automatic? Might as well just drive an automatic...
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
DDB91
Junior Standardshifter

Post by DDB91 »

Haha thanks all and funnily enough it's more going into a cruise that I was having the issue, when actually accelerating it was natural without any problems. I'll give it a try :)
monkeyhunk
Senior Standardshifter

Post by monkeyhunk »

I float out clutch in with most of my shifts on my Jeep. Just seems to be a habit I've unconsciously gotten into from driving a big truck more than my personal vehicle. It does seem to be pretty smooth most of the time though.
Shedrick
Junior Standardshifter

Post by Shedrick »

How can that be smooth? Your technique must be good. haha
IMBoring25

Post by IMBoring25 »

Ultimate smoothness comes from the throttle. The clutch can only mask imperfect throttle technique.

Floating the disengagement isn't that hard. You just have to find the throttle position where the engine isn't putting any load through the drivetrain, and if there's resistance when you gently push the shifter you're not there yet. Floating the re-engagement takes a lot more precision and familiarity with the vehicle, especially if you don't want to damage it.