Gear 2 harder to shift into than higher gears... What am I doing wrong?

Read the FAQ and still not sure about something? Want to shift faster? Post here.
LesPaulMan
Junior Standardshifter
Cars: 2016 Nissan Versa S

Re: Gear 2 harder to shift into than higher gears... What am I doing wrong?

Post by LesPaulMan »

Haha. Thanks for the enthusiasm fellas. One of the reasons why I opted for the Silverburst is because all the other cool kids had sunbursts and I wanted to be a little different.
I bet a lot of people on this forum are into guitars. I kinda feel like being enthusiastic about cars is very similar in spirit to obsessing over guitars.
2016 Nissa Vera S 1.6L. Manual Transmission
2011 Mazda 3 2.0L SkyActive. Automatic<--My folks' car
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

LesPaulMan wrote:Haha. Thanks for the enthusiasm fellas. One of the reasons why I opted for the Silverburst is because all the other cool kids had sunbursts and I wanted to be a little different.
I bet a lot of people on this forum are into guitars. I kinda feel like being enthusiastic about cars is very similar in spirit to obsessing over guitars.
there may be a correlation. i don't gather too many of our fellow SS members are guitarristas, based on what they've talked about over the years, but there are at least a few. i'm more of a hack and one who has more guitars than songs. also have (or had) more cameras than good photos. i'm passive about both hobbies and return to them when i feel like it and have the energy.

edit: also have played bass in the past, and have a nice vintage modified squier fretless bass with upgraded pickups that pretty much sits collecting dust. :cry: :| :lol:
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

I never got any good at playing guitar or bass, then I severed the end of my left middle finger and when it was reattached I couldn't use it to fret strings anymore (numbness, until I pressed hard enough and then bad pain). I sold off my Epiphone Les Paul (sunburst, because Jimmy Page), my Ibanez acoustic, my Squier bass, my amps, etc. I kept my 12 string acoustic though, that thing sounds like angels singing no matter how unskilled the player is. I don't play it but I have it. I also kept the worthless gutted chipped teenager-painted broken-tremelo-block beater generic plywood no-longer-electric guitar with the comfy strat-esque body and fast maple neck.

A couple years ago my wife got interested in playing so we acquired a couple cheap acoustics, then eventually a fixer-upper bass on Craigslist for $20 (turned out just to need the wiring resoldered), then a nice banjo and a cheap fiddle, and I was thinking about a dobro (figured a slide would solve the finger problem), then she lost interest. :lol:
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
Teamwork
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2015 VW GTI

Post by Teamwork »

In my teens I was really avid into guitar and electric bass. I actually went to school as a double major in business management/audio engineering. I pick up a bass or guitar here and there but I've lost a lot of my foundation and skills over the years and they mostly collect dust but I'd still call music very much a passion for me. It never really worked out with me in the audio engineering field as a career but I'm not really complaining. I always knew that was a very likely possibility which is why I wanted the safety net of a business management degree as well. Pretty hard industry the music one overall... most of the guys I know who are in it are "struggling" and really only a select few make it off well as a living.
LesPaulMan
Junior Standardshifter
Cars: 2016 Nissan Versa S

Post by LesPaulMan »

I am still in college and am just trying to the have the most fun we can with the band. We are doing well but yeah... the music industry is tough at best. Pretty much straight up impossible for most people.

BTW, Cow, I think I found the source of the crackle because it happened again today: I did not park fully into reverse so it was the sound of the gears gently "grinding" against each other, if you can call that grinding. Actually shifted into reverse, and it was fine. :lol:
2016 Nissa Vera S 1.6L. Manual Transmission
2011 Mazda 3 2.0L SkyActive. Automatic<--My folks' car
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

theholycow wrote: Image
I never got any good at playing guitar or bass
and I was thinking about a doblo (figured a slide would solve the finger problem), then she lost interest. :lol:
Fickset
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

Rope-Pusher wrote:
theholycow wrote: Image
I never got any good at playing guitar or bass
and I was thinking about a doblo (figured a slide would solve the finger problem), then she lost interest. :lol:
Fickset
:lol: :shock: :lol: :shock: :lol:
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.