jumpy shifts

Read the FAQ and still not sure about something? Want to shift faster? Post here.
jeff6666p
Junior Standardshifter

jumpy shifts

Post by jeff6666p »

I just notice I'm having jumpy shifts when shifting at 4k +. If I let the revs drop before letting the clutch out it's fine but if release the clutch after it's in gear it bounces forward then back then goes. if I don't get on the gas as quick it smooths out, it seems like the clutch isn't bitting right away. I tried the slip test and the clutch wasn't slipping . Is it me or the car? I think I have a sticking calipr could that be a cause?
98 3000gt base model
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Re: jumpy shifts

Post by potownrob »

jeff6666p wrote:I just notice I'm having jumpy shifts when shifting at 4k +. If I let the revs drop before letting the clutch out it's fine but if release the clutch after it's in gear it bounces forward then back then goes. if I don't get on the gas as quick it smooths out, it seems like the clutch isn't bitting right away. I tried the slip test and the clutch wasn't slipping . Is it me or the car? I think I have a sticking calipr could that be a cause?
hard to tell just by your description, but my guess is it's mostly you and not the car. shifting at high rpms seems to be a problem for newer shifters. it sounds like you may be essentially dropping the clutch when you let it up in the next gear, instead of pausing at the friction zone. also not sure how a sticking caliper (brakes?) will really affect things, unless it's really bad.
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
jeff6666p
Junior Standardshifter

Post by jeff6666p »

[/quote]hard to tell just by your description, but my guess is it's mostly you and not the car. shifting at high rpms seems to be a problem for newer shifters. it sounds like you may be essentially dropping the clutch when you let it up in the next gear, instead of pausing at the friction zone. also not sure how a sticking caliper (brakes?) will really affect things, unless it's really bad.[/quote]

I'm not a new shifter and this issue just started about two weeks ago.
98 3000gt base model
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

jeff6666p wrote:I'm not a new shifter and this issue just started about two weeks ago.
Broken engine mount or transmission mount. Drive up to a curb and park your tires against it, or just set your parking brake if it holds well. Open the hood and peek through the cowl gap at the engine (or use a video camera/etc) while you work the clutch and gas like you're trying and aborting a moderately hard launch. If the engine nudges around a little, ok. If it jumps then it has a broken mount.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

...or if it says: "ARGGHHH! Ow, Ow, Ow, Ow, Ow!"
Then you know you've got a broken mount fur shur.
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"