Reversing in parking garage

Read the FAQ and still not sure about something? Want to shift faster? Post here.
enniroc
Junior Standardshifter
Cars: 2015 Nissan Juke SV

Reversing in parking garage

Post by enniroc »

From your lovely FAQ:
It seems to be a general consensus on this forum that people worry about their clutch more than they need to.
True as that may be, I've managed to convince myself that I worry about my clutch too little, and use it too much... especially while squeezing into my cramped parking garage spot.

While reversing into my spot, it seems I can't completely let my foot off the clutch. If I did, the car would move very quickly toward a cement post. I'm hardly touching the gas or brake, just quickly bringing the clutch up to the friction point for a little momentum, then depressing it back to the floor. Lather, rinse, repeat, until my car's where it needs to be.

But maybe there's a better way? Back when I drove stick 10 years ago, I lived out in the sticks. None of this parking garage foolishness.

I've only had my new car for a week. If this is a bad habit, I'd like to be rid of it.

Thanks!
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Re: Reversing in parking garage

Post by AHTOXA »

Perfectly acceptable. In fact, that's the only efficient way to perform delicate maneuvers. I have used this technique for as many years as I've been driving manual (8-9 years, I think?) and have never had issues. That's how most folks on here drive, too.
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
enniroc
Junior Standardshifter

Post by enniroc »

AHTOXA wrote:Perfectly acceptable. In fact, that's the only efficient way to perform delicate maneuvers. I have used this technique for as many years as I've been driving manual (8-9 years, I think?) and have never had issues. That's how most folks on here drive, too.
Thanks very much! I did what came naturally, but was a bit concerned, since no one ever taught me what to do in that situation.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Going fast in Reverse is over-rated. If I were king, all Reverse gears would have a lot more ratio to enable slow speed maneuvers without dithering the clutch engagement.
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
enniroc
Junior Standardshifter

Post by enniroc »

Rope-Pusher wrote:Going fast in Reverse is over-rated. If I were king, all Reverse gears would have a lot more ratio to enable slow speed maneuvers without dithering the clutch engagement.
Agreed. I don't like the feel of zipping off in reverse. Too hard to react to obstacles, etc. Stick shifts need R-Low and R-High or something.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

enniroc wrote:
Rope-Pusher wrote:Going fast in Reverse is over-rated. If I were king, all Reverse gears would have a lot more ratio to enable slow speed maneuvers without dithering the clutch engagement.
Agreed. I don't like the feel of zipping off in reverse. Too hard to react to obstacles, etc. Stick shifts need R-Low and R-High or something.
I've shifted my transfer case into low range in order to give myself a "creeper" Reverse ger ratio, but in order to do that, I had to select 4 wheel drive, so it's best to not do this on dry pavement unless you can back up straight (no turning while backing up - I have Part-Time 4WD and it will apply high stresses to the driveline if i turn the vehicle on a high-traction road surface).
Squint
Master Standardshifter

Post by Squint »

enniroc wrote:
AHTOXA wrote:Perfectly acceptable. In fact, that's the only efficient way to perform delicate maneuvers. I have used this technique for as many years as I've been driving manual (8-9 years, I think?) and have never had issues. That's how most folks on here drive, too.
Thanks very much! I did what came naturally, but was a bit concerned, since no one ever taught me what to do in that situation.
Yeah, I'll second Tony (AHTOXA). I rarely go in reverse all the way to the point where I'm idling in reverse. There's almost always a game being played with the clutch pedal and the friction point.
'15 Mazda 3 iSport Hatch 6MT
'11 Ford Fiesta Hatchback SE 5MT
'14 Giant Escape City 24MT
'97 Honda Civic EX 4AT - Retired @ 184,001 mi

For Pony!
tankinbeans
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 17 Mazda6 To, 18 Mazda3 i

Post by tankinbeans »

There should just be MOAR gears if you want ro go schneller in reverse. That's what big rigs do, richtig?
17 Mazda6 Touring
18 Mazda3 iSport
InlinePaul wrote:The driving force of new fangled features to sell more cars [is to] cater to the masses' abject laziness!
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

tankinbeans wrote:
There should just be MOAR gears if you want ro go schneller in reverse. That's what big rigs do, richtig?

Well, there it is, you've heard it, the Emporer sez "There are too many gears. There are only so many gears the hand can shift in the course of a drive."

I've given up hope of ever having multiple Reverse gear ranges, so if I had ma druthers, I'd druther that the one Reverse gear have a ratio better suited for slowly backing a heavy trailer up a narrow driveway without having to dither the clutch to control the vehicle's speed.
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

I don't know, I kinda enjoy cowboying it in Reverse.

But yeah, either that pulse & glide technique or just continual slipping for backing into a spot is fine.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

theholycow wrote:I don't know, I kinda enjoy cowboying it in Reverse.

But yeah, either that pulse & glide technique or just continual slipping for backing into a spot is fine.
Sure, that's all fine for level, paved ground, but try that pushing a trailer up a grassy hill and you'll build up too much heat in the clutch. That's why Dog invented gear ratios, to spare the clutch.
enniroc
Junior Standardshifter

Post by enniroc »

Rope-Pusher wrote:

Sure, that's all fine for level, paved ground, but try that pushing a trailer up a grassy hill and you'll build up too much heat in the clutch. That's why Dog invented gear ratios, to spare the clutch.
Dog rested a day too early, then. :)
Squint
Master Standardshifter

Post by Squint »

enniroc wrote:
Rope-Pusher wrote:

Dog rested a day too early, then. :)
:lol: :lol: :lol:

RP, stop trying to back up grassy hills, just turn the car around and Bo Duke that thing.
'15 Mazda 3 iSport Hatch 6MT
'11 Ford Fiesta Hatchback SE 5MT
'14 Giant Escape City 24MT
'97 Honda Civic EX 4AT - Retired @ 184,001 mi

For Pony!
watkins
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Saab 9-5 Aero wagon

Post by watkins »

Rope-Pusher wrote:Sure, that's all fine for level, paved ground, but try that pushing a trailer up a grassy hill and you'll build up too much heat in the clutch. That's why Dog invented gear ratios, to spare the clutch.
Been there, done that. Very not fun.
enniroc
Junior Standardshifter

Post by enniroc »

Rope-Pusher wrote:

Oh lord - I hope I *never* have to do this.