Shifting into second as soon as you get rolling

Read the FAQ and still not sure about something? Want to shift faster? Post here.
Teamwork
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2015 VW GTI

Re: Shifting into second as soon as you get rolling

Post by Teamwork »

Ewilon1988 wrote:I know this will sound a bit "noobish", but I actually have no idea when my boost comes on per se. Yeah, my car does pretty well with pulling in higher gears. I never feel like I need to downshift too often to pass someone or something like that
Ewilon1988 wrote:It has a boost gauge built in, but I only know how to read what it's currently pushing and my peak I've hit
Obviously within safe measures...

You should be able to identify/feel when the car starts to make a ton of power. Again, my memory serves me to be a bit hazy (I test drove a ton of vehicles and even though the WRX was really memorable, everything is kind of blurry months later) I felt like as soon as you were stepping up to 3.5k it was a pretty dramatic switch over when the boost started kicking in. This sensation grew to pretty much low 5k range and it had a "dead spot" right before red line. Don't quote me on these specific numbers...

Again, referencing my car there's very little benefit to redline shifting if you're shifting for power and speed. My car on the stock tune definitely has a DEAD spot when approaching to red line where you're making more noise then gradual power. I'm not even sure where red line actually is on my vehicle specifically... it just spans across a thresh hold range... between about 6k to 7k (the line gets thicker by 7k). I'm pretty sure it's not 6k and according to the club forums fuel cut off is somewhere between 6700-6800 rpm but again I don't see much benefit on a stock tune to even touch 6k. Shift at 5k right before the power starts to taper off.

I know that C&D had a long term WRX and they roasted their clutch before 25k doing wreckless activities with it. They openly said they were spinning the engine to 5-6k and dumping the clutch... "Maybe because of the redline dumps... maybe because of faulty defective parts"...
Both before and after the clutch replacement, drivers logged concerns that our WRX was difficult to drive smoothly. Editors called attention to the abrupt clutch take-up, a touchy throttle, a small dose of turbo lag, and excessive driveline lash. Those traits are most apparent in city driving, where modest throttle application is met with a whiff of lag followed by a dramatic surge of thrust. It’s as if, confined by traffic and low speed limits, the WRX bristles with pent-up energy and teenage angst. We’d prescribe a more linear throttle mapping as the initial therapy.
Ewilon1988
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2016 WRX 6MT

Post by Ewilon1988 »

I completely agree with the touchy throttle and abrupt clutch take up. I still have a tough time rev matching because I overshoot the Rpms. Very finicky car
ClutchFork
Master Standardshifter
Cars: 2008 Fusion 2.3L manual

Post by ClutchFork »

Ewilon1988 wrote:Hey SS crew, I have a question. I have a '16 WRX. The revs hang from 1-2 for a few seconds. I figured out that if I shift at 3000rpm(like I do on normal driving situations), the wait until 2000rpms where they want to be isn't so terrible so I keep the clutch in until it's time to catch the Rpms. My problem per se is shifting past 3000rpms. If I have to keep up with traffic and I need to wind out to 4000-4500 I of course notice a jerk due to the Rpms falling from a higher rpm. I read that what I can do is
- bring it out to a higher rpm
- clutch out until the friction point and hold it there for a second then start feeding it some gas and that will smooth it out some.
I did that today while driving to work and it did feel smoother, but just making sure this isn't going to hurt the clutch. If anyone else has some tips if this isn't the proper thing to do that'll be great as well.
Isn't rev hang programmed in by USEPA requirement to avoid big drops in RPM dumping heavy emissions? I'll take a 1960s car with manual tranny. Built back in the days when EPA didn't even exist.
Stick shiftin since '77
theholycow wrote:Why in the world would you even want to be as smooth as an automatic? Might as well just drive an automatic...
Ewilon1988
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2016 WRX 6MT

Post by Ewilon1988 »

I agree 100%. I drove my brothers 370z a few times and His revs Instantly fell. It was much easier to drive in my opinion than my car with the rev hang
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Post by Rope-Pusher »

MITSU MAY HAVE CHEATED MORE- From Autoline Daily
"And speaking of scandals, the Kyodo News in Japan reports that Mitsubishi falsified fuel economy data for all of its vehicles going back to 1991. Originally the company was investigating nine models. This new revelation could potentially harm Nissan’s recent 34% stake it purchased in Mitsubishi. The deal isn’t official until Mitsubishi and Japanese regulators finish their investigations."
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

VW's Emissions-Cheating Defeat Device Was Developed By Audi In 1999 to Reduce Noise

http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/ca ... at-device/

Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

IS BOSCH A CHEATER? - From Autoline Daily
Uh-oh, looks like Bosch, the largest automotive supplier in the world, could be in deep trouble over Volkswagen’s diesel emissions cheating scandal. Lawyers for a group of U.S. car owners filed charges that Bosch conspired with VW to develop software that could detect when diesel engines were being tested for emissions. That software would then make sure the engine passed the test, but would turn off some emissions controls when the test was over. Even more interesting, the lawsuit says that as far back as 2008 Bosch demanded that VW give it legal immunity for participating in the cheating. VW refused to indemnify Bosch, but Bosch went along with the plan anyway. It sure is amazing to see that nearly a year after this story broke, this scandal keeps getting deeper and deeper with no signs of it going away.
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/ ... ce-in-2008
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

VW ENGINEER TAKES PLEA DEAL - From Autoline Daily
On Friday one of Volkswagen’s engineers based in the U.S. pleaded guilty in court to conspire to defraud the U.S. government, to commit wire fraud and to violate the Clean Air Act. He could have faced 5 years in prison and a fine of $250,000. But that’s not going to happen because he entered into a plea deal. In other words, he’s going to tell prosecutors everything he knows about how VW did this cheating and who was involved. German privacy laws have enabled VW to refuse to send personnel information about employees to U.S. prosecutors. But with an insider telling them who was involved, that could open the door to a string of indictments against VW executives in Germany.
http://www.detroitnews.com/story/busine ... /90118226/
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Even Audi's slushbox transmixers are cheating on emissions tests!

The suit comes days after the German weekly Welt am Sonntag reported Audi had employed software that monitored driving modes to detect when vehicles were being tested for emisssions, and modified CO2 output accordingly by varying the operation of the automatic transmission. The report also claimed that the California Air Resources Board (CARB) has been aware of these devices in Audi vehicles for several months, suggesting that they had been discovered in mid-2016 at the latest.

"Throughout the yearlong Dieselgate scandal, Audi chose to continue to deceive consumers across the country with yet another emissions-cheating device installed in even more of its vehicles,” said Steve Berman, managing partner of Hagens Berman. “This kind of flagrant disregard for federal environmental regulations and consumers’ expectations is unacceptable, and we intend to hold Audi to the law on behalf of those who overpaid for Audi’s noncompliant, polluting cars."

Read more: http://autoweek.com/article/vw-diesel-s ... z4Q0HO6Yg8
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

"Nobody likes me. Everybody hates me. I'm gonna eat some worms!"

These four major world cities will ban diesels by 2025

PARIS, MADRID, ATHENS AND MEXICO CITY GET SERIOUS ABOUT TRAFFIC AND AIR POLLUTION

Read more: http://autoweek.com/article/car-news/ma ... z4RzFL4t8I

(It's interesting tummy that they didn't talk about setting strict emissions caps. They just want to ban vehicles with diesel engines and be done with it. Maybe they are thinking that cheating on emissions tests is too difficult to detect, or that real world emissions, especially with suspect vehicle maintenance, are much higher than emissions during a lab test)
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Rudolph Diesel died under mysterious circumstances
Prolly got caught cheating on emissions!
http://www.bbc.com/news/business-38302874
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

DIESEL SCANDAL BOOSTS HYBRID SALES - Autoline Daily
Thanks to Volkswagen’s diesel scandal, Toyota’s bet on hybrids is really paying off in Europe. Bloomberg reports that Toyota’s hybrid sales in the region were close to 40% of all its sales in 2016. They’re becoming so popular that Toyota expects hybrids will account for more than half of its sales in Europe by the end of the decade. Fleet operators are especially turning away from diesels in favor of hybrids, because the residual value of diesel cars is dropping fast.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... ope-demand
Squint
Master Standardshifter

Post by Squint »

That picture is slightly horrifying, RP...
'15 Mazda 3 iSport Hatch 6MT
'11 Ford Fiesta Hatchback SE 5MT
'14 Giant Escape City 24MT
'97 Honda Civic EX 4AT - Retired @ 184,001 mi

For Pony!
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

U.S. Department of Justice indicts six VW employees

http://europe.autonews.com/article/2017 ... news-blast

...and on the corporate side:

VW board, U.S. authorities set to sign off on $4.3 billion diesel penalty
Total legal liability for VW so far reaches $23 billion

http://europe.autonews.com/article/2017 ... ion-diesel
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Wow, Schmidt REALLY does happen;
Oliver Schmidt, 48, was arrested Saturday while vacationing in Miami and remains in custody in Florida.

http://www.autonews.com/article/2017011 ... ndicted-co

..... he was really a great guest on Autoline After-hours