Shifting into second as soon as you get rolling

Read the FAQ and still not sure about something? Want to shift faster? Post here.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Re: Shifting into second as soon as you get rolling

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Mexico issues $8.9 million fine against VW for emissions
Mexico has issued an $8.9 million fine against Volkswagen Mexico for selling 45,494 vehicles for the 2016 model year without certificates proving they comply with emissions standards. - See more at: http://www.thejakartapost.com/news/2016 ... t6793.dpuf
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

not sure how anyone could want to buy a VW at this point. their dealers were bad to begin with. :| :?:
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Daimler says U.S. lawsuit over Mercedes diesel emissions is unfounded

The lawsuit accused the automaker of knowingly programming its clean diesel vehicles to emit illegally high levels of NOx that were 19 times above the U.S. standard, with some instantaneous readings as high as 65 times more than the U.S. limit. The device turns off pollution controls at temperatures below 50 degrees Fahrenheit, according to the complaint.

http://www.autonews.com/article/2016021 ... news-daily
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

I'm surprised the presenter didn't pull out a luger and plug him. Cherminz aren't noted for gracefully accepting being made the butt of a joke.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Ex-employee sues VW in U.S. over data deletion: German media reports
A former employee of Volkswagen's (VOWG_p.DE) U.S. subsidiary is suing the company for damages, claiming he was unlawfully fired after flagging internally what he alleged was illegal deletion of data, a group of German media outlets said on Sunday.

The former employee at Volkswagen Group of America's data processing center in Michigan is seeking unspecified damages for losing his job after he tried from Sept. 18 last year to stop a co-worker from deleting data, German broadcasters WDR and NDR as well as newspaper Sueddeutsche Zeitung, which are working together on the case, cited court documents as saying.

The reports did not say what kind of data was being deleted.

However, the media reports said that the former VW employee was alleging that VW in the United States had destroyed evidence in relation to the emissions scandal.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-volks ... SKCN0WF0LV
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

CalPERS and other big investors sue VW for $3.57 billion
Volkswagen Group's big institutional investors, including California's huge public pension fund, are suing the German automaker for $3.57 billion in damages over its handling of the emissions scandal, which has seen VW's stock price shrivel by a third.

Attorney Andreas Tilp said Tuesday that the suit in the German regional court in Braunschweig was joined by investors from 14 countries, including the U.S., Australia, Germany, Canada, the Netherlands and Britain. Among the plaintiffs is the California Public Employees' Retirement System, or CalPERS, the giant pension fund for government employees in California.
http://www.latimes.com/business/autos/l ... story.html
Ewilon1988
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2016 WRX 6MT

Post by Ewilon1988 »

Hey SS crew, I have a question. I have a '16 WRX. The revs hang from 1-2 for a few seconds. I figured out that if I shift at 3000rpm(like I do on normal driving situations), the wait until 2000rpms where they want to be isn't so terrible so I keep the clutch in until it's time to catch the Rpms. My problem per se is shifting past 3000rpms. If I have to keep up with traffic and I need to wind out to 4000-4500 I of course notice a jerk due to the Rpms falling from a higher rpm. I read that what I can do is
- bring it out to a higher rpm
- clutch out until the friction point and hold it there for a second then start feeding it some gas and that will smooth it out some.
I did that today while driving to work and it did feel smoother, but just making sure this isn't going to hurt the clutch. If anyone else has some tips if this isn't the proper thing to do that'll be great as well.
theholycow
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '80 Buick LeSabre 4.1 5MT

Post by theholycow »

When you have rev hang, that's all you can do. It's fine.
1980 Buick LeSabre 4.1L 5MT

Put your car in your sig!

Learn to launch/FAQs/lugging/misused terms: meta-sig
watkins wrote:Humans have rear-biased AWD. Cows have 4WD
Ewilon1988
Senior Standardshifter
Cars: 2016 WRX 6MT

Post by Ewilon1988 »

Thanks Cow. You're always very helpful
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

VW's 'defeat device' software developed at Audi in 1999, report says
Engineers at Audi developed software capable of turning off certain engine functions in 1999, but it was never used by the VW luxury division, the newspaper said in an advance release of an article due to be published on Wednesday, which cited industry and company sources.

Six years later, when VW engineers at the firm's Wolfsburg headquarters were unable to bring nitrogen oxide emissions below legal thresholds, they started to install the software developed by Audi, Handelsblatt said.
http://www.autonews.com/article/2016041 ... news-daily

• Reply•Share ›
MKP • 7 hours ago
Yes, it was invented at Audi 17 years ago but it was only known by one...maybe 2...a handful at most, rogue and very secretive engineers acting in total renegade mode against the mother company.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

VW fooled state DMVs too, prompting calls for tougher air tests

“The VW scandal shows the government testing programs are irrelevant,” Stedman said. “What matters is what the stupid cars are doing on the road.”

http://www.autonews.com/article/2016042 ... -air-tests
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

VW says diesel emissions fix progress makes U.S. court trial unneeded

Volkswagen and U.S. regulators have expressed doubt as to whether the cars can be fixed at all. A California regulator in March told state legislators it was unclear if a solution aside from scrapping the vehicles was possible.

“We do not believe any of the three generations of vehicle technologies for the 2.0-liter vehicles can be repaired to meet their certified emissions levels,” Todd Sax, chief of the California Air Resources Board’s enforcement division, told a California Senate committee

http://europe.autonews.com/article/2016 ... l-unneeded
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

Not to be out-done, Mitsubishi.......

http://www.autonews.com/article/2016042 ... news-blast

Mitsubishi Motors Corp. admitted to manipulating test data involving 625,000 vehicles in order to improve fuel-economy claims.
The affected models include those supplied to Nissan Motor Co., which discovered the manipulation, according to a statement by Mitsubishi. The two companies are discussing compensation and Mitsubishi is also checking whether the cheating affected overseas models.
potownrob
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '17 CX-5 GT

Post by potownrob »

looking on the bright side...

HAPPY 16:20!!!!
ClutchFork wrote:...So I started carrying a stick of firewood with me and that became my parking brake.
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter

Post by Rope-Pusher »

VW expected to offer to buy back nearly 500,000 U.S. diesel vehicles
The German automaker is expected to tell a federal judge in San Francisco on Thursday that it has agreed to offer to buy back up to 500,000 2.0-liter diesel vehicles sold in the U.S. that exceeded legally allowable emission levels, the people said.

That would include versions of the Jetta sedan, the Golf compact and the Audi A3 sold since 2009. The buyback offer does not apply to the bigger, 80,000 3.0-liter diesel vehicles also found to have exceeded U.S. pollution limits, including Audi and Porsche SUV models, the people said.
http://www.autonews.com/article/2016042 ... news-daily