Slipping time when getting going in first gear

Read the FAQ and still not sure about something? Want to shift faster? Post here.
vw100
Junior Standardshifter

Slipping time when getting going in first gear

Post by vw100 »

I get going at idle rpm (800-900, no throttle) in first gear and it takes me 2 and sth - nearly 3 seconds from the moment it first bites to the moment it is fully synchronised BUT foot is not off the clutch yet.
If i measure the time from the moment it first bites to the moment i FULLY release the clutch it takes 3 and sth nearly 4 seconds. (so yeah even though i am at the sync point on the clutch, again i keep it there for nearly a second unconsciously just to be sure it wont stall i believe :roll: ) Anyway to my understanding, keeping it to the sync point even though it is synced isn't doing any harm because it isn't slipping anymore there.
So to conclude can we really say the clutch is slipping only 2-3s ?? or is it slipping 3-4s ?? Is this good? Well i am not a beginner and the reason i am doing this is because lower rpm translates to longer clutch life (have done my homework and have OVERstudied the clutch over the internet ) but my only concern is the time it is slipping :wink:
Merry christmas everyone and happy New Year !
Rope-Pusher
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '08 Jeep Liberty

Re: Slipping time when getting going in first gear

Post by Rope-Pusher »

vw100 wrote:I get going at idle rpm (800-900, no throttle) in first gear and it takes me 2 and sth - nearly 3 seconds from the moment it first bites to the moment it is fully synchronised BUT foot is not off the clutch yet.
If i measure the time from the moment it first bites to the moment i FULLY release the clutch it takes 3 and sth nearly 4 seconds. (so yeah even though i am at the sync point on the clutch, again i keep it there for nearly a second unconsciously just to be sure it wont stall i believe :roll: ) Anyway to my understanding, keeping it to the sync point even though it is synced isn't doing any harm because it isn't slipping anymore there.
So to conclude can we really say the clutch is slipping only 2-3s ?? or is it slipping 3-4s ?? Is this good? Well i am not a beginner and the reason i am doing this is because lower rpm translates to longer clutch life (have done my homework and have OVERstudied the clutch over the internet ) but my only concern is the time it is slipping :wink:
Merry christmas everyone and happy New Year !
I'll give it a try: "The clutch is only slipping 2-3s"
Yes, I could say that. I'm going to go out on a limb and speculate that others are also able to say that.

If you are launching at idle, or even slightly above idle, I doubt you have much to worry about with respect to creating excessive heat due to friction while your clutch is slipping.
'08 Jeep Liberty 6-Speed MT - "Last of the Mohicans"
vw100
Junior Standardshifter

Post by vw100 »

yeah :wink: good to hear that ! will wait for other inputs as well
and yes you don't have to worry too much about heat at such low rpm, so you can slip it just a little bit more but not a whole lot more, that's why i posted here, just to be sure i wasn't slipping it way more than using the accelerator method.
kamesama980
Senior Standardshifter

Post by kamesama980 »

What he said, at that low RPM you aren't doing much damage. That's prtty much my normal driving style: let the clutch out at idle and start feeding it gas as I cross the friction point. 2-3 second is probably a bit long but as you say, you're just learning: as you get more practice you'll notice you can slip it shorter and shorter. once you're moving you won't stall, see how low you can drag the RPM before the engine starts bucking and jerking. It's also going to depend on how fast you want to take off: more gas and more clutch pressure at the same rpm will get you going faster for less clutch slip time but the increased torque probably balances out the wear.

Slip time is also going to depend on vehicle characteristics like weight and gearing. My new truck has a very low 1st and great tolerance for loading the engine at low rpm so (even though it's 4300lb) I can just about let the clutch out without the gas. The Firebird has the torque but 1st has the same gearing as 2nd on the truck (though smaller OD tires partially compensate) and is less friendly to below-idle driving (it IS 18 years older) so it needs a slightly longer slippage time.
-Russ
2012 Nissan Frontier 4.0l M6 4x4
1990 Toyota Cressida 3.0l M5
1994 Pontiac Firebird LT1 M6
1970 Volkwagen Beetle M4
1990 Suzuki VX800 SM5
vw100
Junior Standardshifter

Post by vw100 »

kamesama980 wrote:What he said, at that low RPM you aren't doing much damage. That's prtty much my normal driving style: let the clutch out at idle and start feeding it gas as I cross the friction point. 2-3 second is probably a bit long but as you say, you're just learning: as you get more practice you'll notice you can slip it shorter and shorter. once you're moving you won't stall, see how low you can drag the RPM before the engine starts bucking and jerking. It's also going to depend on how fast you want to take off: more gas and more clutch pressure at the same rpm will get you going faster for less clutch slip time but the increased torque probably balances out the wear.

Slip time is also going to depend on vehicle characteristics like weight and gearing. My new truck has a very low 1st and great tolerance for loading the engine at low rpm so (even though it's 4300lb) I can just about let the clutch out without the gas. The Firebird has the torque but 1st has the same gearing as 2nd on the truck (though smaller OD tires partially compensate) and is less friendly to below-idle driving (it IS 18 years older) so it needs a slightly longer slippage time.
well i FULLY release the clutch THAN add gas. Idle is at 800-820 rpm on mine and it is a diesel so it has a lot of torque there (like most cars)
I cannot do it faster because if the rpm goes down just a little bit it will start bucking. So i really believe no one can slip it less than me really ( we are talking about keeping it smooth)
And i get going as fast as other cars around me ( well they are just a LITTLE BIT faster most of the time but they rev the hell out of it (1500 ish so ... ) I think i am fine doing this as most of the guys who use accelerator take 1-2s max approximately, i am taking 2-3s but at much lower rpm so i really doubt there is excessive heat, i think i am doing fine. The reason because i implemented this technique in the first place is because the way i see it, it is the best way to treat the clutch, lower speed from flywheel to the clutch will surely translate to longer lifespan, to add to that, the slip time isn't that much more than using the throttle. Anyway i can launch at idle in almost any condition, even small hills ( of course rpm drops just a little bit more and it will not be as smooth but again it is pretty acceptable, not violent vibrations)
vw100
Junior Standardshifter

Post by vw100 »

Anyway counting seconds i think i am going overkill !
Squint
Master Standardshifter

Post by Squint »

vw100 wrote:Anyway counting seconds i think i am going overkill !
:lol: :lol: :lol:

You've found something that works for you and seems to work fine for the car too, I think you're doing alright. :lol:
'15 Mazda 3 iSport Hatch 6MT
'11 Ford Fiesta Hatchback SE 5MT
'14 Giant Escape City 24MT
'97 Honda Civic EX 4AT - Retired @ 184,001 mi

For Pony!