Jerky ride cost on the car

Read the FAQ and still not sure about something? Want to shift faster? Post here.
john
Junior Standardshifter

Jerky ride cost on the car

Post by john »

Hello.
I wanted to know if jerky upshifts do actually cause any harm to the car ?
Also jerking while launching ( ONLY when launching not lugging in high gears because i know that is terrible)
Jerky downshift ? I guess that only harms the clutch ...
Please be technical and mention even the smallest negligible damage you can think of.
NOTE : Don't write tips on how to be smooth (actually i am).I just want to know.
Cheers !
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Re: Jerky ride cost on the car

Post by AHTOXA »

You're overly worried about it. Really. No one's going to know any finite microscopic details about wear and tear that it may or may not do. Even if there's any extra wear and tear, there's no way to measure it and it doesn't mean that your clutch will suddenly fail a specific amount of miles later.

Oh and I have a slew of bad jerking puns and jokes based on what you wrote. I'm just immature like that.
'19 Toyota 4Runner TRD ORP
'12 Suzuki V-Strom 650
Squint
Master Standardshifter

Post by Squint »

I would add to what AHTOXA said and think that logically, the wear would be about the same from jerky upshifts and downshifts. I could be wrong, but it seems they would be very similar for the car - depending on the specific RPM jumps/etc...

But yeah, if you are driving fairly smoothly like you say, then there is no need to fear the jerky shifts every now and again. The car is designed to drivers thousands of miles with drivers that DON'T take car of it, so it should be able to hold up fine for those of us that do care and pay attention.

What do you drive?
'15 Mazda 3 iSport Hatch 6MT
'11 Ford Fiesta Hatchback SE 5MT
'14 Giant Escape City 24MT
'97 Honda Civic EX 4AT - Retired @ 184,001 mi

For Pony!
AHTOXA
Master Standardshifter
Cars: '19 4RUNNER TRD ORP

Post by AHTOXA »

A submit it and quit it poster. :lol: